* A problem with itemize in columns - once again, now with an MWE
@ 2014-01-17 15:05 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-01-17 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

once again I have a problem with itemization in columns.  This time, I
finally managed to isolate the problem and prepare an MWE.  The
problem does not appear with Latin Modern fonts, but does with Pagella
(I didn't test other fonts).  It seems that the height of the square
root sign is too high.  \smash-ing helps, but I'd prefer not to have
to \smash things manually.  Can anything be done about this?  (Note:
I'm using the latest beta.  In some earlier versions, \smash-ing
didn't help, so it's not something of high priority for me now.  But
if it's something easy to fix, I'd be thankful.)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\setupbodyfont[pagella]
\starttext
\startitemize[columns,two,packed]% with "packed", it's also wrong, but in another way
\item abc
\item $a^2$
\item xyz
\item $\frac12$
\item foo
\item bar
\item baz
\item $\sqrt{2}$% \smash-ing helps, but I'd prefer not to have to smash...
\item asdf
\item qwerty
\stopitemize
\stoptext
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: A problem with itemize in columns - once again, now with an MWE
@ 2014-01-17 15:19 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-01-17 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.01.2014 um 16:05 schrieb Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl>:

> Hi all,
>
> once again I have a problem with itemization in columns.  This time, I
> finally managed to isolate the problem and prepare an MWE.  The
> problem does not appear with Latin Modern fonts, but does with Pagella
> (I didn't test other fonts).  It seems that the height of the square
> root sign is too high.  \smash-ing helps, but I'd prefer not to have
> to \smash things manually.  Can anything be done about this?  (Note:
> I'm using the latest beta.  In some earlier versions, \smash-ing
> didn't help, so it's not something of high priority for me now.  But
> if it's something easy to fix, I'd be thankful.)

You can increase the linespacing in the itemize.

\setupbodyfont[pagella]

\startsetups[itemize:before]
  \blank
  \begingroup
  \setupinterlinespace[medium]
\stopsetups

\startsetups[itemize:after]
  \endgroup
  \blank
\stopsetups

\starttext

\startitemize[columns,two,packed][before=\directsetup{itemize:before},after=\directsetup{itemize:after}]
\item abc
\item \math{a^2}
\item xyz
\item \math{\frac{1}{2}}
\item foo
\item bar
\item baz
\item \math{\sqrt{2}}
\item asdf
\item qwerty
\stopitemize

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: A problem with itemize in columns - once again, now with an MWE
@ 2014-01-17 16:18   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-01-17 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dnia 2014-01-17, o godz. 16:19:48
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Am 17.01.2014 um 16:05 schrieb Marcin Borkowski
> <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl>:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > once again I have a problem with itemization in columns.  This
> > time, I finally managed to isolate the problem and prepare an MWE.
> > The problem does not appear with Latin Modern fonts, but does with
> > Pagella (I didn't test other fonts).  It seems that the height of
> > the square root sign is too high.  \smash-ing helps, but I'd prefer
> > not to have to \smash things manually.  Can anything be done about
> > this?  (Note: I'm using the latest beta.  In some earlier versions,
> > \smash-ing didn't help, so it's not something of high priority for
> > me now.  But if it's something easy to fix, I'd be thankful.)
>
> You can increase the linespacing in the itemize.
>
> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
>
> \startsetups[itemize:before]
>   \blank
>   \begingroup
>   \setupinterlinespace[medium]
> \stopsetups
>
> \startsetups[itemize:after]
>   \endgroup
>   \blank
> \stopsetups
>
> \starttext
>
> \startitemize[columns,two,packed][before=\directsetup{itemize:before},after=\directsetup{itemize:after}]
> \item abc
> \item \math{a^2}
> \item xyz
> \item \math{\frac{1}{2}}
> \item foo
> \item bar
> \item baz
> \item \math{\sqrt{2}}
> \item asdf
> \item qwerty
> \stopitemize
>
> \stoptext

Thanks a lot!  It did help (but only partially, see below).  (I've also
put it into \setupitemize.)

One problem remains, however: it won't work with [joinedup].  (The same
problem as before seems to appear again.)

> Wolfgang

TIA,