* Re: OT: Reflections on usability ConTeXt for typesetting of mathematics
@ 2014-02-26  9:09 Xan
From: Xan @ 2014-02-26  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hello ConTeXist.
>
> 0. Do you think that this is only a problem for beginners of ConText or
> it is a general problem of ConTeXt?
> 1. How many of ConTeXt users use this tool for typesetting of
> non-elementary mathematics?
> 2. Are you satisfied with the results, which produces ConTeXt (thinking
> in the field of mathematics rate)?

In general, yes. But there are some issues with TiKZ [http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2013/076384.html] and in some ocasions with columns (not balanced).

Perhaps we could have a bug triage system for that?

> 3. What things do you need to have in ConTeXt study that one could bet
> mathematics at a reasonable level?
One reason for ConTeXt is the ability of deal with XML and produce several outputs.
Separation of content and presentation is also good.

> 4. Is ConTeXt able to substitute LaTeX to typesetting of math (e.g. in
> the future)?

I join one person (I don't remember who) who says there could be more examples for learning people. I think an ideal think could be to have an equivalent "The not so short introduction to LaTeX".

> 5. Can you think of any more questions that should be here?

The community is good. All posted questions have posted answers. And Hans is the boss ;-)

* Re: OT: Reflections on usability ConTeXt for typesetting of mathematics
@ 2014-02-13 15:14               ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2014-02-13 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mikael,

as in my first answer use:

f''_xx or f''_{xx} if you need both xs'

I have tried it at it looks very similar to your LaTeX example.

Start another thread about the single prime as bug. Since this one is marked as OT
and others more more knowledgeable might not be reading this.

regards
	Keith.

@ 2014-02-13 14:45                 ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2014-02-13 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny@eglug.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 02:40:18PM +0100, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
> >
> > I do not agree with you. It is not so important to have the same syntax
> as
> > in LaTeX (exception: it would be nice to get double bars from \| since it
> > does not make sense to have \| yield a single bar since | does)
>
> That is the Plain TeX syntax for double bar FWIW.
>
> Regards,
> Khaled

Indeed, and I think that in all I have written (I don't know plain TeX so
well) above one can insert "plain TeX" instead of LaTeX.

I can add that I think that the horizontal space between the integral sign
and the function is too large. Compare with plain TeX/LaTeX. Maybe that
comes from having smaller size of the limits?

I hope that you dont get me wrong. I would like to use ConTeXt more than I
do today. But at the moment it just don't give the expected output when it
comes to math. Are there any other mathematicians on this list that can
raise their voices and tell what they think?

Best regards, Mikael

* Re: OT: Reflections on usability ConTeXt for typesetting of mathematics
@ 2014-02-13 14:34               ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2014-02-13 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2014-02-13 13:40             ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2014-02-13 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2014-02-12  9:01           ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2014-02-12  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2014-02-11 19:51           ` Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2014-02-11 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Martin,
Sorry, but I do not find fonts cambria and cambria math to install with
Debian.
thank you,
Fabrice

@ 2014-02-11 13:18         ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2014-02-11 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2014-02-11 10:33         ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2014-02-11 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambria_(typeface)#Availability

> Xits, I do not know.

It's on CTAN and included in TeXLive.

Best
   Martin

* Re: OT: Reflections on usability ConTeXt for typesetting of mathematics
@ 2014-02-11 10:33       ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2014-02-11 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.02.2014 um 09:57 schrieb Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 2/10/2014 9:24 AM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used ConTeXt (mkii) to write my PhD thesis in Mathematics in 2008. It
> worked just fine.
>
> At the moment I write some exams and hand-outs using ConTeXt, but
> research using LaTeX (since the journals do not really accept ConTeXt
> and my collaborators dont know ConTeXt).
>
> It certainly works OK to write math in ConTeXt, but I have a feeling
> that there are some things that are somewhat broken or not finetuned to
> output what mathematicians expect. Look at the attached pdf files [1]
> l.pdf (from LaTeX) and c.pdf (from latest standalone ConTeXt), with
> source l.tex and c.tex for some examples.
>
> In mkiv we follow some alternative approaches compared to mkii (and probably other tex macro packages) and some aspects indeed might need tuning (or more configuration options) .. I try hard to get away from hackery solutions (for several reasons).
>
> I agree it is good to avoid hackery as long as possible, and I for sure is ready to relearn how to write some things. With the examples I gave in the previous email in mind:
>
> * How am I supposed to write first derivative (f') and second derivative (f'') in such a way that they have the same type of prime (the prime in the first derivative is the one I prefer)?
	No sure if to call this a bug! It seems that a single prime is always larger than multiple ones!
	You can always change its size!

> * How am I supposed to write f_xx'' to get the output as in the LaTeX example (i.e. so that the primes are over the xx)?
	have to switch things around: f''_xx or f''_{xx}  depending on the actual result you want.

> * Could the default placement of limits in integrals be changed (integral=nolimits)? This is how it is done in almost all math books).
	Not sure what you want here! example? can be LateX
> * What about the size and finetuning of placement of indices in integrals and sums (and probably products, unions, ...)?
> * I remember I suggested that \| should be double bars in a previous thread on this list. Is there any drawback in giving double bars for \|? Of course I can relearn and use \lVert and \rVert, but I have a feeling that if we want people moving from LaTeX to ConTeXt, then this is the kind of things that should just work as expected...
>
> Best regards, Mikael

regards
	Keith

* Re: OT: Reflections on usability ConTeXt for typesetting of mathematics
@ 2014-02-11  9:18       ` Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2014-02-11  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Unless I am mistaken, Cambria is a font available for Windows. I'm using
Linux, is it possible to install ? Is it free ? If yes, where can I download
it ?

Xits, I do not know.

Is it possible to put the "uppercase = right"  in math mode with Pagella ?
thank you,
Fabrice

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 2/10/2014 9:24 AM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I used ConTeXt (mkii) to write my PhD thesis in Mathematics in 2008. It
>>> worked just fine.
>>>
>>> At the moment I write some exams and hand-outs using ConTeXt, but
>>> research using LaTeX (since the journals do not really accept ConTeXt
>>> and my collaborators dont know ConTeXt).
>>>
>>> It certainly works OK to write math in ConTeXt, but I have a feeling
>>> that there are some things that are somewhat broken or not finetuned to
>>> output what mathematicians expect. Look at the attached pdf files [1]
>>> l.pdf (from LaTeX) and c.pdf (from latest standalone ConTeXt), with
>>> source l.tex and c.tex for some examples.
>>>

>> In mkiv we follow some alternative approaches compared to mkii (and
>> probably other tex macro packages) and some aspects indeed might need
>> tuning (or more configuration options) .. I try hard to get away from
>> hackery solutions (for several reasons).
>>

> I agree it is good to avoid hackery as long as possible, and I for sure is
> ready to relearn how to write some things. With the examples I gave in the
> previous email in mind:
>
> * How am I supposed to write first derivative (f') and second derivative
> (f'') in such a way that they have the same type of prime (the prime in the
> first derivative is the one I prefer)?
> * How am I supposed to write f_xx'' to get the output as in the LaTeX
> example (i.e. so that the primes are over the xx)?
> * Could the default placement of limits in integrals be changed
> (integral=nolimits)? This is how it is done in almost all math books).
> * What about the size and finetuning of placement of indices in integrals
> and sums (and probably products, unions, ...)?
> * I remember I suggested that \| should be double bars in a previous
> thread on this list. Is there any drawback in giving double bars for \|? Of
> course I can relearn and use \lVert and \rVert, but I have a feeling that
> if we want people moving from LaTeX to ConTeXt, then this is the kind of
> things that should just work as expected...
>
> Best regards, Mikael
>

>>  When it comes to math environments, I think that thanks to the
>>> environments in http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/mathalign.pdf
>>> <http://dl.contextgarden..net/myway/mathalign.pdf> we are OK. I
>>>
>>> sometimes miss the multline(d) environment from LaTeX.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Mikael
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> The attachments were too big, so I decided to put the pdf files on
>>> http://www.maths.lth.se/~mickep/l.pdf
>>> and

@ 2014-02-11  8:57     ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2014-02-11  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2014-02-10 17:57   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-02-10 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> [...]

>     for typesetting of mathematics. I wonder how users use possible math
>     modules (exist anything?) to be usable results.
>
>     I have a few questions:
>
>     0. Do you think that this is only a problem for beginners of ConText
>     or it is a general problem of ConTeXt?
>     1. How many of ConTeXt users use this tool for typesetting of
>     non-elementary mathematics?
>     2. Are you satisfied with the results, which produces ConTeXt
>     (thinking in the field of mathematics rate)?
>     3. What things do you need to have in ConTeXt study that one could
>     bet mathematics at a reasonable level?
>     4. Is ConTeXt able to substitute LaTeX to typesetting of math (e.g.
>     in the future)?
>     5. Can you think of any more questions that should be here?
>

>     I hope that my question will help other beginners who would like to
>     typing of mathematics use ConText - this unique and useful tool.

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-02-10 17:55     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-02-10 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/10/2014 10:08 AM, Fabrice Couvreur wrote:
> Hi,
> I begin to migrate slowly to ConTeXt, and I think it works very well for
> writing mathematics.
> I have a question : what is the most complete Math Font to write
> mathematics with ConteXt course?
> thank you,

cambria is the reference font
xits probably has most shapes
lmmath is cm compatible plus some more
pagella and other gyre fonts are also quite complete

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-02-10  9:08   ` Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2014-02-10  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2014-02-10  8:45 ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2014-02-10  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2014-02-10  8:24 ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2014-02-10  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

in http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/mathalign.pdf we are OK. I sometimes

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Jaroslav Hajtmar <hajtmar@gyza.cz> wrote:

> Hello ConTeXist.
> I am very sorry for this OFF TOPIC contribution.
>
> For writing of this text led me several hours of searching on internet. I
> was looking for ways to typing of non-elementary math in ConTeXt
>
> Already a long time I use ConTeXt typesetting lot of different things and
> I am very satisfied. In the many things, of which I typed, was maths
> represented only marginally and minimally. Now I need to type some
> mathematics (at secondary school level) and I found that I came across
> borders of my knowledge of ConTeXt, or on possibilities of ConTeXt for
> typesetting of mathematics.
> I do not in any way call into question the ability of ConTeXt typesetting
> mathematics, although I think that who wants to type mathematics then use
> LaTeX.
> I want find experience of users of ConTeXt for real using of ConTeXt for
> typesetting of mathematics. I wonder how users use possible math modules
> (exist anything?) to be usable results.
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> 0. Do you think that this is only a problem for beginners of ConText or it
> is a general problem of ConTeXt?
> 1. How many of ConTeXt users use this tool for typesetting of
> non-elementary mathematics?
> 2. Are you satisfied with the results, which produces ConTeXt (thinking in
> the field of mathematics rate)?
> 3. What things do you need to have in ConTeXt study that one could bet
> mathematics at a reasonable level?
> 4. Is ConTeXt able to substitute LaTeX to typesetting of math (e.g. in the
> future)?
> 5. Can you think of any more questions that should be here?
>

> I hope that my question will help other beginners who would like to typing
> of mathematics use ConText - this unique and useful tool.
>
> Thanks for all the answers.
>
> Jaroslav Hajtmar

[-- Attachment #2: c.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: l.tex --]

* Re: OT: Reflections on usability ConTeXt for typesetting of mathematics
@ 2014-02-10  2:55     ` Shree Devi Kumar
From: Shree Devi Kumar @ 2014-02-10  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

It maybe helpful for beginners if there were sample documents for
mathematical typesetting  (for the current version of context) that could
be used as a start for their own projects.

Maybe list members can contribute some for addition to the documentation
wiki.

* Re: OT: Reflections on usability ConTeXt for typesetting of mathematics
@ 2014-02-09 23:22   ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2014-02-09 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Otared.
Many thanks for your reaction.  Even if I would not not make any other
statement than yours, so I'm clear at this time that the problem is
probably sitting in front of a keyboard and monitor :-).

Perhaps the problem is that the Internet is relatively little of
mathematical demonstrations in ConTeXt, and if one is accustomed to some
practices in LaTeX or use different packages, it can be a little taken
aback ConTeXt. Now I also found that even though I dont switch fonts, so
I worked in an environment that me from switching fonts and therefore
some formulas look very bad. But it is my wrong.
I've got to give more attention. Enthusiasm for my current project takes
patience and sound reasoning. I've to give a time to prevents my mistakes.
When I am not careful, then I am doing many of dificult searchable errors.

Thanks for ConTeXt and thanks to all in this list for your advice and help.

Jaroslav Hajtmar

@ 2014-02-09 22:31 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2014-02-09 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...]

> I have a few questions:
>
> 0. Do you think that this is only a problem for beginners of ConText or it is a general problem of ConTeXt?
> 1. How many of ConTeXt users use this tool for typesetting of non-elementary mathematics?
> 2. Are you satisfied with the results, which produces ConTeXt (thinking in the field of mathematics rate)?
> 3. What things do you need to have in ConTeXt study that one could bet mathematics at a reasonable level?
> 4. Is ConTeXt able to substitute LaTeX to typesetting of math (e.g. in the future)?
> 5. Can you think of any more questions that should be here?
>

> I hope that my question will help other beginners who would like to typing of mathematics use ConText - this unique and useful tool.
>
> Thanks for all the answers.
>
> Jaroslav Hajtmar

* OT: Reflections on usability ConTeXt for typesetting of mathematics
@ 2014-02-09 19:09 Jaroslav Hajtmar
                   ` (2 more replies)