* Selectfont: extend and slant features
@ 2014-02-26 17:18 Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2014-02-26 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

Dear list,

the (fake) extend and slant features seem to be missing with Selectfont.
Will they be made available sometimes in the future?  Or am I simply
doing something wrong?  With simplefonts, they work.

\definefontfeature [mainfeature] [default] [onum=yes]
\definefontfeature [testfeature] [onum=no, extend=2, slant=0.25]

\definefontfamily [mainfamily] [serif] [Latin Modern Roman]
  [features={mainfeature}]

\setupbodyfont [mainfamily, 50pt]

\starttext

1236

\addfeature [testfeature]

1236

\stoptext

Kind regards,
Joshua Krämer

* Re: Selectfont: extend and slant features
@ 2014-02-26 22:13 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-02-26 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.02.2014 um 18:18 schrieb Joshua Krämer <joshua.kraemer@gmail.com>:

> Dear list,
>
> the (fake) extend and slant features seem to be missing with Selectfont.
> Will they be made available sometimes in the future?  Or am I simply
> doing something wrong?  With simplefonts, they work.
>

> \definefontfeature [mainfeature] [default] [onum=yes]
> \definefontfeature [testfeature] [onum=no, extend=2, slant=0.25]
>
> \definefontfamily [mainfamily] [serif] [Latin Modern Roman]
>  [features={mainfeature}]
>
> \setupbodyfont [mainfamily, 50pt]
>
> \starttext
>
> 1236
>
> \addfeature [testfeature]
>
> 1236
>
> \stoptext

1. The problem is unrelated to the \definefontfamily command.

\definefontfeature [default] [default] [onum=yes]
\definefontfeature [testfeature] [onum=no,extend=2,slant=0.25]

\setupbodyfont [modern, 50pt]

\starttext

1236

{\feature[+][testfeature]1236}

\stoptext

2. When you apply your “testfeature” to a certain font alternative (e.g. italic) it will work.

\definefontfeature [mainfeature] [default] [onum=yes]
\definefontfeature [testfeature] [onum=no,extend=2,slant=0.25]

\definefontfamily [mainfamily] [serif] [Latin Modern Roman] [features=mainfeature,it={style:regular,features:{mainfeature,testfeature}}]

\setupbodyfont [mainfamily,50pt]

\starttext

1236

{\it 1236}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Selectfont: extend and slant features
@ 2014-02-28 19:41   ` Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2014-02-28 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

On 2014-02-26, 23:13, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> 2. When you apply your “testfeature” to a certain font alternative
> (e.g. italic) it will work.
> [...]

Thanks.  It's a bit inconvenient, because for each feature you want to
apply, you have to define a separate typeface.  Is it a bug, or is it
intended to be like that?

(I understand that this feature may not be needed often.  I need it to
apply different stretch values to a typeface I'm designing for testing
purposes.)

Kind regards, Joshua

* Re: Selectfont: extend and slant features
@ 2014-03-01 11:48     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-03-01 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.02.2014 um 20:41 schrieb Joshua Krämer <joshua.kraemer@gmail.com>:

> On 2014-02-26, 23:13, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> 2. When you apply your “testfeature” to a certain font alternative
>> (e.g. italic) it will work.
>> [...]
>
> Thanks.  It's a bit inconvenient, because for each feature you want to
> apply, you have to define a separate typeface.  Is it a bug, or is it
> intended to be like that?

This is something only Hans can answer, what I wanted to show you is
that the problem isn’t related to the \definefontfamily command.

> (I understand that this feature may not be needed often.  I need it to
> apply different stretch values to a typeface I'm designing for testing
> purposes.)

Is there any real purpose for this feature? The letters in the second and third
line don’t look beautiful because the horizontal and vertical strokes don’t match.

\definefontfeature [wide]   [extend=1.50]
\definefontfeature [narrow] [extend=0.75]

\definefontfamily [one]   [serif] [Latin Modern Roman]
\definefontfamily [two]   [serif] [Latin Modern Roman] [features={default,wide}]
\definefontfamily [three] [serif] [Latin Modern Roman] [features={default,narrow}]

\definebodyfontenvironment[50pt]

\starttext

\switchtobodyfont[one,50pt]Stretched

\switchtobodyfont[two,50pt]Stretched

\switchtobodyfont[three,50pt]Stretched

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Selectfont: extend and slant features
@ 2014-03-01 23:59       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-03-01 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Am 28.02.2014 um 20:41 schrieb Joshua Krämer <joshua.kraemer@gmail.com>:
>
>> On 2014-02-26, 23:13, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>>> 2. When you apply your “testfeature” to a certain font alternative
>>> (e.g. italic) it will work.
>>> [...]
>>
>> Thanks.  It's a bit inconvenient, because for each feature you want to
>> apply, you have to define a separate typeface.  Is it a bug, or is it
>> intended to be like that?
>
> This is something only Hans can answer, what I wanted to show you is
> that the problem isn’t related to the \definefontfamily command.

you can use dynamic features so apply additional ones any moment, but
some features line slanting and extending are font instance bound as
there the dimensions change and the abckend has to do some work

>> (I understand that this feature may not be needed often.  I need it to
>> apply different stretch values to a typeface I'm designing for testing
>> purposes.)
>

> Is there any real purpose for this feature? The letters in the second and third
> line don’t look beautiful because the horizontal and vertical strokes don’t match.
>
> \definefontfeature [wide]   [extend=1.50]
> \definefontfeature [narrow] [extend=0.75]
>
> \definefontfamily [one]   [serif] [Latin Modern Roman]
> \definefontfamily [two]   [serif] [Latin Modern Roman] [features={default,wide}]
> \definefontfamily [three] [serif] [Latin Modern Roman] [features={default,narrow}]
>
> \definebodyfontenvironment[50pt]
>
> \starttext
>
> \switchtobodyfont[one,50pt]Stretched
>
> \switchtobodyfont[two,50pt]Stretched
>
> \switchtobodyfont[three,50pt]Stretched
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-03-05 14:05         ` Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2014-03-05 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

On 2014-03-02, 0:59, Hans Hagen wrote:

> you can use dynamic features so apply additional ones any moment, but
> some features line slanting and extending are font instance bound as
> there the dimensions change and the abckend has to do some work

Thanks, I understand.

@ 2014-03-05 14:08         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-03-05 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 3/5/2014 3:19 PM, Joshua Krämer wrote:
> On 2014-03-01, 12:48, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> Is there any real purpose for this feature? The letters in the second
>> and third line don’t look beautiful because the horizontal and
>> vertical strokes don’t match.

> Another use-case for the extend feature could be to stretch/compress a
> line (e.g. a title) to the desired length.  If the line is only a little
> bit too long or too short, compressing or stretching all the letters by
> for example less than 1% can be enough to add up to the desired amount.

that's what hz is doing, but more advanced as it can be set up per
character

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-03-05 14:19       ` Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2014-03-05 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

On 2014-03-01, 12:48, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Is there any real purpose for this feature? The letters in the second
> and third line don’t look beautiful because the horizontal and
> vertical strokes don’t match.

As I said, I'm working on a typeface design.  When one tries to
optically match an upright and a slanted (italic) font, several
factors that influence the apparent (optical) size of the letters have
to be considered:  the letters of a slanted font with the
same vertical x-height as an upright font are bigger along their slant
axis, but their counters (inner letter space) are smaller due to the
slant.  Additionally, the different letter forms play an important
role.  Very small differences mathematically in slant and letter-width
can make a big difference optically.  To try out different values, I
mathematically stretch and slant the letters by small amounts.
Afterwards, of course, when the right values have been found, the
letters have to be reworked by hand.

@ 2014-03-05 20:41           ` Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2014-03-05 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

On 2014-03-05, 15:08, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 3/5/2014 3:19 PM, Joshua Krämer wrote:
> > Another use-case for the extend feature could be to
> > stretch/compress a line (e.g. a title) to the desired length.  If
> > the line is only a little bit too long or too short, compressing or
> > stretching all the letters by for example less than 1% can be
> > enough to add up to the desired amount.
>
> that's what hz is doing, but more advanced as it can be set up per
> character

While hz is an automatic approach, I was thinking about manual
interventions, for example when designing a cover page.

But DTP applications may be better suited for this usecase.

Kind regards,
Joshua