Hello, I am trying to typeset old books and I chose to keep close to the original typography. I have attached two images of what I try to mimic an I try to sum up the requirements hereinbelow. Any advice is appreciated. ================= 1) It must work when starting from a new line as well as when starting from the middle of the current line. 2 different environments are allowed. 2) The environnement is wrapped in guillemets. 3a) There must be no extra space before the opening guillemet when starting from the middle of the current line. 3b) The must be no extra space after the closing guillemet. 4) The quote repetition symbol must appear in the beginning of every line, except the first one. 5) Paragraphs should be automatically indented. Manual indentation is bearable. 6a) When there is an indentation, the quote repetition symbol must be indented too. 6b) When the bloc starts on a new line, the opening guillemet must be indented. 7) The quote repetition symbol must be a setup parameter of the environment, or easily modifiable within the environment definition. (in the example images, it is a *closing* guillemet, but in other books it can be an *opening* guillemet). 8) This environment must work within footnotes too. ================= So far, I have tried to use line numbering to achieve this result. But there are several problems: -- extra space before beginning of bloc, -- quote repetition symbol appears on the first line even when it the beginning of the environment, -- no automatic indentation, -- no indentation of quote repetition symbol, -- lines overflow in the right margin (seems that the "width" used for the numbering is not substracted from the text width), -- no effect in footnotes, and I am not unsure whether carrying on tweaking line numbering is the way to go. Here is a minimal(?) example showing the different possibilities and troubles: ================= \setuppapersize[A4] \enableregime[utf-8] \mainlanguage[fr] \language[fr] \setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation] \setupindenting[first,yes,medium] \definestartstop[bloccitel][before={ \setuplinenumbering[location=text,command={»\gobbleoneargument},width=.75em] \startlinenumbering \setupindenting[first,yes,medium] « }, after={»\stoplinenumbering}] \starttext First check: «normal spacing of guillemets». Second check: a normal paragraph, to show {\bf normal right margin limit}. \input tufte Let's start with a quote block on a {\bf new line}: \startbloccitel First paragraph ({\bf quote repetition symbol is not wanted here}):\input tufte Second paragraph ({\bf not automatically indented}):\input tufte \indentation Third paragraph with manual indentation({\bf quote repetition symbol is not indented}):\input tufte \stopbloccitel Now, a quote block starting just there, {\bf in the middle of a line} ({\bf space after colon is too big}):\startbloccitel\input tufte \input tufte \stopbloccitel . This a bit of text at the end of the quotation. It {\bf seems fine}. And let's call a {\bf footnote}\footnote{\startbloccitel\input tufte \input tufte \stopbloccitel}. Unfortunately {\bf no quote repetition symbol will appear in it}. \stoptext ================= If needed, here is the Context I use : ================= stephane@cuisine ~/test/ctx/quote_block $ context --version mtx-context | ConTeXt Process Management 0.60 mtx-context | mtx-context | main context file: /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.mkiv mtx-context | current version: 2014.03.27 20:04 ================= Faithfully yours, Stéphane.