* Command for printing back of book index.
@ 2014-05-26 16:07 john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2014-05-26 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the current General Manual section 12.7
"Registers" the command for actually printing the
back of book index is omitted. What is it? Is it
the same for both MKII and MKIV?

Does one run the command texutil separate from
the context command (analogous to running the
makeindex command in other versions of TeX)?

I can create an index separate from context using
a front end to makeindex that I wrote years ago
but I prefer an embedded index.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: Command for printing back of book index.
@ 2014-05-26 17:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-05-26 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/26/2014 6:07 PM, john Culleton wrote:

> In the current General Manual section 12.7
> "Registers" the command for actually printing the
> back of book index is omitted. What is it? Is it
> the same for both MKII and MKIV?
>
> Does one run the command texutil separate from
> the context command (analogous to running the
> makeindex command in other versions of TeX)?
>
> I can create an index separate from context using
> a front end to makeindex that I wrote years ago
> but I prefer an embedded index.

producing an (sorted) index has always been integrated

- in mkii texexec handles it (using texutil for all multi-pass pre-
processing); the use never had to run texutil him/herself; in fact, i
once made a replacement in Lua so that we could avoid ruby but never
finished it read: had time to finish it

- in mkiv sorting the index is done internally

there has never been a reason for using something makeindex

Hans

ps. texutil itself went from modula-2 to perl to ruby ... so it's a real
ancient part of context

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-05-26 20:31   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2014-05-26 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 26 May 2014 19:15:48 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 5/26/2014 6:07 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> >
> > In the current General Manual section 12.7
> > "Registers" the command for actually printing
> > the back of book index is omitted. What is
> > it? Is it the same for both MKII and MKIV?
> >
> > Does one run the command texutil separate from
> > the context command (analogous to running the
> > makeindex command in other versions of TeX)?
> >
> > I can create an index separate from context
> > using a front end to makeindex that I wrote
> > years ago but I prefer an embedded index.
>
> producing an (sorted) index has always been
> integrated
>
> - in mkii texexec handles it (using texutil for
> all multi-pass pre- processing); the use never
> had to run texutil him/herself; in fact, i once
> made a replacement in Lua so that we could
> avoid ruby but never finished it read: had time
> to finish it
>
> - in mkiv sorting the index is done internally
>
> there has never been a reason for using
> something makeindex
>
> Hans
>
> ps. texutil itself went from modula-2 to perl
> to ruby ... so it's a real ancient part of
> context

Thanks. Now, what is the command to be placed at
the back of the file to print the index? Section
12.7 just has a blank line after

"A register is generated and placed in your
document with"

--

@ 2014-05-26 20:41     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-05-26 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/26/2014 10:31 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2014 19:15:48 +0200
> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 5/26/2014 6:07 PM, john Culleton wrote:
>>>
>>> In the current General Manual section 12.7
>>> "Registers" the command for actually printing
>>> the back of book index is omitted. What is
>>> it? Is it the same for both MKII and MKIV?
>>>
>>> Does one run the command texutil separate from
>>> the context command (analogous to running the
>>> makeindex command in other versions of TeX)?
>>>
>>> I can create an index separate from context
>>> using a front end to makeindex that I wrote
>>> years ago but I prefer an embedded index.
>>
>> producing an (sorted) index has always been
>> integrated
>>
>> - in mkii texexec handles it (using texutil for
>> all multi-pass pre- processing); the use never
>> had to run texutil him/herself; in fact, i once
>> made a replacement in Lua so that we could
>> avoid ruby but never finished it read: had time
>> to finish it
>>
>> - in mkiv sorting the index is done internally
>>
>> there has never been a reason for using
>> something makeindex
>>
>> Hans
>>
>> ps. texutil itself went from modula-2 to perl
>> to ruby ... so it's a real ancient part of
>> context
>>

> Thanks. Now, what is the command to be placed at
> the back of the file to print the index? Section
> 12.7 just has a blank line after
>
> "A register is generated and placed in your
> document with"

did you consult the wiki?

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Registers

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-05-26 22:34       ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2014-05-26 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 26 May 2014 22:41:41 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 5/26/2014 10:31 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 May 2014 19:15:48 +0200
> > Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> >> producing an (sorted) index has always been
> >> integrated
> >>
> >> - in mkii texexec handles it (using texutil
> >> for all multi-pass pre- processing); the use
> >> never had to run texutil him/herself; in
> >> fact, i once made a replacement in Lua so
> >> that we could avoid ruby but never finished
> >> it read: had time to finish it
> >>
> >> - in mkiv sorting the index is done
> >> internally
> >>
> >> there has never been a reason for using
> >> something makeindex
> >>
> >> Hans
> >>
> >> ps. texutil itself went from modula-2 to perl
> >> to ruby ... so it's a real ancient part of
> >> context
> >>

> > Thanks. Now, what is the command to be placed
> > at the back of the file to print the index?
> > Section 12.7 just has a blank line after
> >
> > "A register is generated and placed in your
> > document with"
>
> did you consult the wiki?
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Registers

I finally traced it down in the wiki. I was first
looking under "index" and not finding the answer.
My American mind didn't think to look under
"Register." That's not what we call a back of
book index. So thanks for the pointer.

But it would be useful also to correct the manual.
Neither section 12.7 nor the list of commands in
the back mention \completeregister nor
\placeregister as the means to create a back of
the book index.