* Re: Distances between chapter and section titles and text
       [not found] <mailman.787.1407913635.2240.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2014-08-15 17:56 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2014-08-15 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 13 Aug 2014, at 09:07 Robert Blackstone <blackstone.robert@gmail.com> wrote

> Is it possible, in mkiv, to fine-tune the distance between a chapter head and a section head,  between the end of a section and the following section head, and between a section head and the beginning of the text?

A few days ago I posted this question. There were no reactions, but it is not an urgent matter for me anymore since I found an effective work-around.
(Although I still wonder whether or not this possibility exists in mkiv,)

I admit having been a bit panicky because a tiny difference in layout between my testversions and the final product, with exactly the same setups, led to a result that more or less forced me to reposition and/or redimension most of my 520 carefully positioned floats, a few days before the deadline.

Anyway, sorry for the noise.

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone

* Re: Distances between chapter and section titles and text
@ 2014-08-17 16:16   ` Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2014-08-17 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

On 2014-08-15, 19:56, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> A few days ago I posted this question. There were no reactions, but
> it is not an urgent matter for me anymore since I found an effective
> work-around. (Although I still wonder whether or not this possibility
> exists in mkiv,)

I have not seen the issue you have described myself.  The attached
example works for me.  You have to prepare a minimal working example
that shows the problem.  Maybe then somebody can identify the reason
for your issue.

Kind regards,
Joshua

\starttext

\startfrontmatter
\input knuth
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter

\setuphead [chapter] [
	number=yes,
	alternative=middle,
	style=\tfa \bf,
	after={\blank[0.5cm]},
]

\chapter{One}
\input knuth

\setuphead [chapter] [
	number=yes,
	alternative=middle,
	style=\tfa \bf,
	after={\blank[0.1cm]},
]

\chapter{Two}
\input knuth

\stopbodymatter

\stoptext

* Re: Distances between chapter and section titles and text
       [not found] <mailman.828.1408351435.2240.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2014-08-19  8:48 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2014-08-19  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 18 Aug 2014, at 10:43 ,  Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
wrote:

> Am 18.08.2014 um 09:29 schrieb Robert Blackstone <blackstone.robert@gmail.com>:

>>> I have not seen the issue you have described myself.  The attached
>>> example works for me.  You have to prepare a minimal working example
>>> that shows the problem.  Maybe then somebody can identify the reason
>>> for your issue.
>>>

>> But I have realized now, a bit late, that for real control over these distances one also needs to setup the section-head in a similar manner, additionally specifying the distance "before".
>> The presence or absence of Frontmatter does not influence results.
>> I think there must have been a setup command somewhere in my setups that I had forgotten about.
>
> You?re forgetting that \section insert also a space before the text is placed. In a case where two commands insert a space at the same position like here the larger value is used which comes in the second chapter from the \section command.
>
> Wolfgang
Thank you, Wolfgang. I was not forgetting what you describe. Worse, I had not taken any notice, just accepting the default distances as they appeared, which generally seemed OK.
I hope to be a bit ConTeXt-wiser now.

Kind regards,
Robert Blackstone

* Re: Distances between chapter and section titles and text
@ 2014-08-18  7:57   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-08-18  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found] <mailman.819.1408298815.2240.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2014-08-18  7:29 ` Robert Blackstone