* Chapter precis
@ 2014-08-28 14:17 Werner Hintze
From: Werner Hintze @ 2014-08-28 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some old fashioned novels have a chapter précis in the table of
contents. In Latex exists the command \chapterprecis to put the text at
the beginning of the chapter and in the able of contents. I thought, I
can realize this in ConTeXt with

\writebetweenlist[chapter]{XYZ}

or with

\weitetolist[chapter]{XYZ}

But both produce only a fatal error. What’s wrong here?

Thanks für help!

WH

* Re: Chapter precis
@ 2014-08-28 14:46 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-08-28 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.08.2014 um 16:17 schrieb Werner Hintze <w.hintze@posteo.eu>:

> Some old fashioned novels have a chapter précis in the table of contents. In Latex exists the command \chapterprecis to put the text at the beginning of the chapter and in the able of contents. I thought, I can realize this in ConTeXt with
>
> \writebetweenlist[chapter]{XYZ}
>
> or with
>
> \weitetolist[chapter]{XYZ}
>
> But both produce only a fatal error. What’s wrong here?

Hard to tell without a example which demonstrates the error because the following works for me.

\starttext

\completecontent

\chapter{This is a chapter}

\writetolist[chapter]{}{This is a summary of the chapter with \tex{writetolist}.}

\writebetweenlist[chapter][location=here]{This is a summary of the chapter with \tex{writebetweenlist}.}

\chapter{This is another chapter}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Chapter precis
@ 2014-08-28 15:11   ` Werner Hintze
From: Werner Hintze @ 2014-08-28 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

The example works for me too. But the command doesn’t work in my file.
I can’t find out why.

On 28 Aug 2014, at 16:46, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 28.08.2014 um 16:17 schrieb Werner Hintze <w.hintze@posteo.eu>:
>
>> Some old fashioned novels have a chapter précis in the table of
>> contents. In Latex exists the command \chapterprecis to put the text
>> at the beginning of the chapter and in the able of contents. I
>> thought, I can realize this in ConTeXt with
>>
>> \writebetweenlist[chapter]{XYZ}
>>
>> or with
>>
>> \weitetolist[chapter]{XYZ}
>>
>> But both produce only a fatal error. What’s wrong here?
>

> Hard to tell without a example which demonstrates the error because
> the following works for me.
>
> \starttext
>
> \completecontent
>
> \chapter{This is a chapter}
>
> \writetolist[chapter]{}{This is a summary of the chapter with
> \tex{writetolist}.}
>
> \writebetweenlist[chapter][location=here]{This is a summary of the
> chapter with \tex{writebetweenlist}.}
>
> \chapter{This is another chapter}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: Chapter precis
@ 2014-08-28 15:13     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-08-28 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.08.2014 um 17:11 schrieb Werner Hintze <w.hintze@posteo.eu>:

> The example works for me too. But the command doesn’t work in my file. I can’t find out why.

Which error message do you get?

Wolfgang

* Re: Chapter precis
@ 2014-08-28 15:17   ` Werner Hintze
From: Werner Hintze @ 2014-08-28 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm... That’s really strange, What I did:

1. I deleted the line with \writebetweenlist and compiled the file. It
worked.
2. I put back the line and triode to compile -> fatal error
3. I commented out all the lines which had something to do with the
table of contend -> fatal error
4. I changed all back -> fatal error (as expected)
5. I commented out all the lines in my project files (all the lines with
\input and compiled and got an empty file witour errors.
6. I deleted the comment signs one after the other and compiled every
time -> no error
7. All was how it was, so I entered the \writebetweenlist (absolutely
the same: copy and paste) and ... Tatarata! It works...

An enigma. I effectively changed nothing, all is now as it was before.
Very, very strange...

Anyway: It works. Thanks for the help!

WH

On 28 Aug 2014, at 16:46, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 28.08.2014 um 16:17 schrieb Werner Hintze <w.hintze@posteo.eu>:
>
>> Some old fashioned novels have a chapter précis in the table of
>> contents. In Latex exists the command \chapterprecis to put the text
>> at the beginning of the chapter and in the able of contents. I
>> thought, I can realize this in ConTeXt with
>>
>> \writebetweenlist[chapter]{XYZ}
>>
>> or with
>>
>> \weitetolist[chapter]{XYZ}
>>
>> But both produce only a fatal error. What’s wrong here?
>

> Hard to tell without a example which demonstrates the error because
> the following works for me.
>
> \starttext
>
> \completecontent
>
> \chapter{This is a chapter}
>
> \writetolist[chapter]{}{This is a summary of the chapter with
> \tex{writetolist}.}
>
> \writebetweenlist[chapter][location=here]{This is a summary of the
> chapter with \tex{writebetweenlist}.}
>
> \chapter{This is another chapter}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: Chapter precis
@ 2014-08-28 15:22     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-08-28 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.08.2014 um 17:17 schrieb Werner Hintze <w.hintze@posteo.eu>:

> Hmm... That’s really strange, What I did:
>
> I deleted the line with \writebetweenlist and compiled the file. It worked.
> I put back the line and triode to compile -> fatal error
> I commented out all the lines which had something to do with the table of contend -> fatal error
> I changed all back -> fatal error (as expected)
> I commented out all the lines in my project files (all the lines with \input and compiled and got an empty file witour errors.
> I deleted the comment signs one after the other and compiled every time -> no error
> All was how it was, so I entered the \writebetweenlist (absolutely the same: copy and paste) and ... Tatarata! It works...
> An enigma. I effectively changed nothing, all is now as it was before. Very, very strange…

Do you set all three arguments for \writebetweenlist, i.e. \writebetweenlist[…]{…}{…}

Wolfgang

* Re: Chapter precis
@ 2014-08-28 15:46       ` Werner Hintze
From: Werner Hintze @ 2014-08-28 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes. I did. Before and now.

But I think, writebetweenlist is not what I’m looking for. I try now
with \writetolist[section] and to give the section list the desired
format. That seems not easy, because the text now runs on the whole
line, this means also in the region, where the page numbers are. It
should terminate before, where the line of dots terminates or so. I see
no parameter for this width seems ti be not the right one (it seems,
width has no visible effect at all).

On 28 Aug 2014, at 17:22, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 28.08.2014 um 17:17 schrieb Werner Hintze <w.hintze@posteo.eu>:
>
>> Hmm... That’s really strange, What I did:
>>
>> I deleted the line with \writebetweenlist and compiled the file. It
>> worked.
>> I put back the line and triode to compile -> fatal error
>> I commented out all the lines which had something to do with the
>> table of contend -> fatal error
>> I changed all back -> fatal error (as expected)
>> I commented out all the lines in my project files (all the lines with
>> \input and compiled and got an empty file witour errors.
>> I deleted the comment signs one after the other and compiled every
>> time -> no error
>> All was how it was, so I entered the \writebetweenlist (absolutely
>> the same: copy and paste) and ... Tatarata! It works...
>> An enigma. I effectively changed nothing, all is now as it was
>> before. Very, very strange…
>>

> Do you set all three arguments for \writebetweenlist, i.e.
> \writebetweenlist[…]{…}{…}
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: Chapter precis
@ 2014-08-28 15:57         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-08-28 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.08.2014 um 17:46 schrieb Werner Hintze <w.hintze@posteo.eu>:

> Yes. I did. Before and now.
>
> But I think, writebetweenlist is not what I’m looking for. I try now with \writetolist[section] and to give the section list the desired format. That seems not easy, because the text now runs on the whole line, this means also in the region, where the page numbers are. It should terminate before, where the line of dots terminates or so. I see no parameter for this width seems ti be not the right one (it seems, width has no visible effect at all).

You can use the maxwidth key to set a limit for the width of the list entry.

\definelist[chaptertext]
%\setuplist [chaptertext][maxwidth=8cm]

\starttext

\placelist[chapter,chaptertext]

\chapter{This is a chapter}

\writetolist[chaptertext]{}{\input ward }

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Chapter precis
@ 2014-08-28 16:17           ` Werner Hintze
From: Werner Hintze @ 2014-08-28 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry. I don’t understand. If I use maxwidth (line 2 without the %), I
get just one truncated line of the text. But I’d like to have all the
text, somewhat indented on both sides, but not truncated.

But why is the text without maxwidth indented on the right?

Werner

On 28 Aug 2014, at 17:57, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 28.08.2014 um 17:46 schrieb Werner Hintze <w.hintze@posteo.eu>:
>
>> Yes. I did. Before and now.
>>
>> But I think, writebetweenlist is not what I’m looking for. I try
>> now with \writetolist[section] and to give the section list the
>> desired format. That seems not easy, because the text now runs on the
>> whole line, this means also in the region, where the page numbers
>> are. It should terminate before, where the line of dots terminates or
>> so. I see no parameter for this width seems ti be not the right one
>> (it seems, width has no visible effect at all).
>>
> You can use the maxwidth key to set a limit for the width of the list
> entry.
>
> \definelist[chaptertext]
> %\setuplist [chaptertext][maxwidth=8cm]
>
> \starttext
>
> \placelist[chapter,chaptertext]
>
> \chapter{This is a chapter}
>
> \writetolist[chaptertext]{}{\input ward }
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: Chapter precis
@ 2014-08-28 16:53             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-08-28 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.08.2014 um 18:17 schrieb Werner Hintze <w.hintze@posteo.eu>:

> Sorry. I don’t understand. If I use maxwidth (line 2 without the %), I get just one truncated line of the text. But I’d like to have all the text, somewhat indented on both sides, but not truncated.
>
> But why is the text without maxwidth indented on the right?

When you enable the pagenumber context puts some space between the number and the text.

\definelist[chaptertext]
\setuplist [chaptertext][margin=2em,pagecommand=\gobbleoneargument]
%\setuplist [chaptertext][margin=2em,pagenumber=no]

@ 2014-08-28 17:02               ` Werner Hintze
From: Werner Hintze @ 2014-08-28 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aha. I see. So it may work. But I just recalled how to achieve the same
result with Latex and Memoir... And I decided to sleep one night and if
then my feeling ist the same as now, I'll turn back to Latex. I’m too
stupid for such a complicated tool as ConTeXt. I know that it is much
better als Latex, but I don’t understand it. It’s now a year that I
use it frequently and I have the impression that I made not a single
step forward.

Let’s see what the morning brings and says ;)

Thank you all for all your help!

Werner

On 28 Aug 2014, at 18:53, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 28.08.2014 um 18:17 schrieb Werner Hintze <w.hintze@posteo.eu>:
>
>> Sorry. I don’t understand. If I use maxwidth (line 2 without the
>> %), I get just one truncated line of the text. But I’d like to have
>> all the text, somewhat indented on both sides, but not truncated.
>>
>> But why is the text without maxwidth indented on the right?
>>
> When you enable the pagenumber context puts some space between the
> number and the text.
>
> \definelist[chaptertext]
> \setuplist [chaptertext][margin=2em,pagecommand=\gobbleoneargument]
> %\setuplist [chaptertext][margin=2em,pagenumber=no]
>
> \starttext
>
> \placelist[chapter,chaptertext]
>
> \chapter{This is a chapter}
>
> \writetolist[chaptertext]{}{\input ward }
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: Chapter precis
@ 2014-08-30 13:42   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2014-08-30 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Interesting thread.

I currently use:

\definestartstop [precis]
                 [style=italic,indenting=no,indentnext=no,after={\blank}]

and then

\startchapter [title=A Chapter]

\startprecis
Short summary text.
\stoprecis

\stopchapter

and indeed it could be interesting to also include this text in the
table of contents as suggested in this thread.

I thought about adding
before={\startbuffer[precis]},
 after={\stopbuffer\getbuffer[precis]\writetolist[chapter]{}{\getbuffer[precis]}}
to the \definestartstop
but this does not seem to work. I did not try further.
Perhaps someone has an idea on how to better achieve this?

Alan

--
Alan Braslau
CEA DSM-IRAMIS-SPEC