* inline footnotes
@ 2015-01-29 11:38 massifr
From: massifr @ 2015-01-29 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,
I'd like to know how to get "inline footnotes" with ConTeXt.
There are some packages in LaTeX (option "para" in footmisc, manyfoot, bigfoot) providing that feature.
How can I do that in ConTeXt?
Thanks,
Massi

* Re: inline footnotes
@ 2015-01-30 14:48 ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2015-01-30 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Massi,

Could you possibly provide a small pdf sample that illustrates exactly what you are looking for? Thanks and

Best wishes
Idris

Sent from my *awesome* BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

@ 2015-01-31  5:35   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-01-31  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 30.01.2015 um 22:44 schrieb mf <massifr@fastwebnet.it>:
>
>> Hi Massi,
>>
>> Could you possibly provide a small pdf sample that illustrates exactly
>> what you are looking for? Thanks and
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Idris
>
> Thanks for your reply, Idris. Here's an example:
>
> *** traditional (stacked) footnotes ***
> ***************************************
>
> 1. This is the text of the first footnote
> 2. This is the text of the second footnote
>

> *** inline footnotes (one paragraph for all the footnotes) ***
>
> 1. first footnote --- 2. second footnote --- 3. the third
> footnote, extending to the next line --- 4. fourth one
>

> *** footnotes in columns in ConTeXt (\setupfootnotes[n=3]) ***
>
> 1. first footnote     2. second one         3. third one
> 4. fourth one, hy-    phenated
>

> "Inline footnotes" are good when you have a lot of short notes,
> that would eat a lot of vertical space, and sometimes other
> longer footnotes.
> I've put an m-dash as a separator, but you could use a wide
> space or another separator.
>
> Footnotes in columns are good if they are ALL shorter than
> the column width.
>
> The LaTeX package "footmisc" provides the "inline footnotes"
> by the option "para". But, if I understand right, LaTeX packages
> are not compatible with ConTeXt.

\setupnotation[footnote][alternative=serried,numbercommand=,numberstopper=.]
\setupnote    [footnote][paragraph=yes,inbetween=~–~]

\starttext

One\footnote{first footnote}
Two\footnote{second footnote}
Three\footnote{The third footnote, extending to the next line}
Four\footnote{fourth one}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: inline footnotes