From: Pavneet Arora <pavneet_arora@waroc.com>
To: Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>
Subject: Re: RAL colours
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 10:11:33 -0400	[thread overview]

Again, thank you for educating me on these principles.  This really is
great stuff!  Just the type of insight that I need.  I am sure that many
of us struggle with production issues and it would be good to develop
design patterns on how to overcome them.

and ask your opinions (and indulgence) as to its usefulness.

Let me preface all this by pointing you to an old video from AT&T
archives, now to be found on YouTube where Brian Kernighan describes
some of the distinctions of Unix.  Although the entire video is
worthwhile even at 27m+ long if you just want to skip to his part, that
starts at the 4m09s mark.  It is a nostalgic (but still valid) look at
the elegance of pipes and redirection.

Okay, what I have done is create two 'bash' scripts which rely heavily
on 'sed' to massage the text data retrieved using 'w3m' to create
suitable "colo-imp-ral.mkiv" (RAL Classic colours; 223 colours) and
"colo-imp-pantone.mkiv" (Pantone Coated colours; 1341 colours) files on
demand using the values found on Carlos Cabo's rgb.to website.

The generated file for the RAL colours includes both the RAL number and
the *English* name of the colour; one can easily modify the script to
use a different language version of the name if so desired.  So, for
example:

\definecolor[ral1000]       [h=cdba88]
\definecolor[greenbeige]    [h=cdba88]

The script for the Pantone colours will only use the published name,
whether it have a name or number or both.  So "Pantone Coated Orange 021
C" will be found in the file as:

\definecolor[pantoneorange-021-c]       [h=fe5000]

and "Pantone Coated 801 C"

\definecolor[pantone801-c]      [h=009ace]

I won't, for the time being at least, publish the colour files in case
there is any issue about the proprietary nature of colours, but offer up
these two shell scripts.  With these scripts one can generate the colour
files as needed for personal use.  If Hans feels that these scripts are
appropriate to be published on the list, then I am happy to do so.

I will wait to hear back.

Best wishes.

PS:  I can already see some inconsistency in the sed processing as there
is no dash prefix before 801...*sigh*.  Will have to work on that ;).

--
----
Pavneet Arora           m: 647.406.6843