* PDF/UA Support
@ 2015-10-19 15:50 Andrew Dunning
From: Andrew Dunning @ 2015-10-19 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I am beginning to see increasing need for PDF/UA (ISO 14289) files. Earlier this year, the US Access Board announced an update to the rules for the accessibility of electronic documents produced by the government that embraces the standard, which I expect will make it much more prominent.

XeTeX cannot produce PDF/UA, and it seems unlikely that it ever will, but unless I am misreading the documentation it appears that ConTeXt has already implemented the necessary functionality. If this is so, it would be helpful to have a page discussing its use in parallel to <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A>, and I would even suggest making PDF/UA the default for documents that do not have conflicting commands. The PDF Association seems to be pushing this as the future of the format; if this is so, this is an opportunity to bring ConTeXt to much greater prominence.

All best,

Andrew Dunning
PhD Candidate
Centre for Medieval Studies