* Error in latest beta: luat-exe.lua not found
@ 2016-01-12 20:33 Romain Diss
From: Romain Diss @ 2016-01-12 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I just downloaded the new beta and I can not launch context anymore. It
complains it can't find a 'luat-exe.lua' file:

> system          > lua > loading of file '/opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/luat-exe.lua' failed:
>         cannot open /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/luat-exe.lua: No such file or directory
> resolvers       > lua > loading file '/opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/luat-exe.lua' failed
> error loading file: luat-exe.lua (aborting)

As I can see, the 'base' directory has been split up into 'mkii' and 'mkiv'
subdirs, so maybe a link has not been updated.

Context end up with this message:
> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.87.0 (TeX Live 2016/dev)
>  system commands enabled.
> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

When I launch 'context --version', I get:
> mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.62
> mtx-context     | main context file: /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
> mtx-context     | context version: unknown, load error

Thanks for yout help.

All the best.

--
Romain Diss

* Re: Error in latest beta: luat-exe.lua not found
@ 2016-01-12 22:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-12 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/12/2016 9:33 PM, Romain Diss wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just downloaded the new beta and I can not launch context anymore. It
> complains it can't find a 'luat-exe.lua' file:
>
>> system          > lua > loading of file '/opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/luat-exe.lua' failed:
>>          cannot open /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/luat-exe.lua: No such file or directory
>> resolvers       > lua > loading file '/opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/luat-exe.lua' failed
>> error loading file: luat-exe.lua (aborting)
>
> As I can see, the 'base' directory has been split up into 'mkii' and 'mkiv'
> subdirs, so maybe a link has not been updated.
>
> Context end up with this message:
>> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.87.0 (TeX Live 2016/dev)
>>   system commands enabled.
>> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
>
> When I launch 'context --version', I get:
>> mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.62
>> mtx-context     | main context file: /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
>> mtx-context     | context version: unknown, load error

i uploaded a version that reverts soem changes so that an older luatex
works (we're still looking into the situation)

anyway, this is unrelated to the mkii/mkiv sub path issue: i have no
clue what happened at your end as i can update withou tproblems

you can try to run mtxrun --generate and then update again

Hans

* Re: Error in latest beta: luat-exe.lua not found
@ 2016-01-12 23:01   ` Romain Diss
From: Romain Diss @ 2016-01-12 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the reply.

On 1/12/2016, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 1/12/2016 9:33 PM, Romain Diss wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I just downloaded the new beta and I can not launch context anymore. It
> >complains it can't find a 'luat-exe.lua' file:
> >
> >>system          > lua > loading of file '/opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/luat-exe.lua' failed:
> >>         cannot open /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/luat-exe.lua: No such file or directory
> >>resolvers       > lua > loading file '/opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/luat-exe.lua' failed
> >>error loading file: luat-exe.lua (aborting)
> >
> >As I can see, the 'base' directory has been split up into 'mkii' and 'mkiv'
> >subdirs, so maybe a link has not been updated.
> >
> >Context end up with this message:
> >>This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.87.0 (TeX Live 2016/dev)
> >>  system commands enabled.
> >>(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
> >
> >When I launch 'context --version', I get:
> >>mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.62
> >>mtx-context     | main context file: /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
> >>mtx-context     | context version: unknown, load error
>
> i uploaded a version that reverts soem changes so that an older luatex works
> (we're still looking into the situation)
> anyway, this is unrelated to the mkii/mkiv sub path issue: i have no clue
> what happened at your end as i can update withou tproblems
> you can try to run mtxrun --generate and then update again
I ran again the 'first-setup.sh' script to upload the new version. There
do not seem to be any problem with the upload and installation. Anyway,
I get the same errors, even after running 'mtxrun --generate' and
updating again.

Does a log file or another tests can help to find the problem?

All the best.

--

@ 2016-01-12 23:37     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-12 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/13/2016 12:01 AM, Romain Diss wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> On 1/12/2016, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 1/12/2016 9:33 PM, Romain Diss wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I just downloaded the new beta and I can not launch context anymore. It
>>> complains it can't find a 'luat-exe.lua' file:

is that file sompelace on the system?

@ 2016-01-13  0:22       ` Romain Diss
From: Romain Diss @ 2016-01-13  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 13/01/2016, Hans Hagen a écrit
> On 1/13/2016 12:01 AM, Romain Diss wrote:
>
> is that file sompelace on the system?
Yes, it is located in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/luat-exe.lua

Concerning the 'context --version' error message, the 'context.mkiv' is
also located in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/
and not in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/ as printed
in the output.

@ 2016-01-13  8:46         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-13  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/13/2016 1:22 AM, Romain Diss wrote:
> Le 13/01/2016, Hans Hagen a écrit
>>
>> is that file sompelace on the system?
> Yes, it is located in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/luat-exe.lua
>
> Concerning the 'context --version' error message, the 'context.mkiv' is
> also located in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/
> and not in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/ as printed
> in the output.

i'll upload a version with a bit more checking

Hans

* Re: Error in latest beta: luat-exe.lua not found
@ 2016-01-14 16:07           ` Romain Diss
From: Romain Diss @ 2016-01-14 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 13/01/2016, Hans Hagen a écrit
> On 1/13/2016 1:22 AM, Romain Diss wrote:
> >>
> >>is that file sompelace on the system?
> >Yes, it is located in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/luat-exe.lua
> >
> >Concerning the 'context --version' error message, the 'context.mkiv' is
> >also located in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/
> >and not in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/ as printed
> >in the output.
>
> i'll upload a version with a bit more checking
Don't know if it's already done but nothing changed on my side. I tried
to create symbolic links of all base/mkiv/ files into base directory.
Context is processing further but is stopped anyway. It complains it
doesn't find 'page-otr.lua' although the link is done. I also noticed
that context needed 'syst-rtp.mkiv' which I did not find in base/mkiv
but in base/mkii.

I do not know where to investigate more an I'm surprised I am the only
one concerned by this bug. Is it possible that an environment variable
could be responsible of this (I didn't change anything these last
times).

Thank you for help.

--

@ 2016-01-15 23:14           ` Romain Diss
From: Romain Diss @ 2016-01-15 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Le 13/01/2016, Hans Hagen a écrit
> On 1/13/2016 1:22 AM, Romain Diss wrote:
> >>
> >>is that file sompelace on the system?
> >Yes, it is located in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/luat-exe.lua
> >
> >Concerning the 'context --version' error message, the 'context.mkiv' is
> >also located in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/
> >and not in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/ as printed
> >in the output.
>
> i'll upload a version with a bit more checking
Still not working here. Is there a way to downgrade my installation back
to the last context beta without the mkii and mkiv subdirs in order to
be able to use context again (and wait for a solution)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

All the best.

--

@ 2016-01-15 23:32             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-15 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/16/2016 12:14 AM, Romain Diss wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Le 13/01/2016, Hans Hagen a écrit
>> On 1/13/2016 1:22 AM, Romain Diss wrote:
>>> Le 13/01/2016, Hans Hagen a écrit

>>> Yes, it is located in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/luat-exe.lua
>>>
>>> Concerning the 'context --version' error message, the 'context.mkiv' is
>>> also located in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/
>>> and not in /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/ as printed
>>> in the output.
>>
>> i'll upload a version with a bit more checking
> Still not working here. Is there a way to downgrade my installation back
> to the last context beta without the mkii and mkiv subdirs in order to
> be able to use context again (and wait for a solution)?

you're the only one with this issue (or the only one who reports it) so
i have no clue what to do

does a fresh install work ?

Hans

* Re: Error in latest beta: luat-exe.lua not found
@ 2016-01-16 11:04               ` Schmitz Thomas A.
From: Schmitz Thomas A. @ 2016-01-16 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 16 Jan 2016, at 00:32, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> you're the only one with this issue (or the only one who reports it) so i have no clue what to do
>
> does a fresh install work ?

Everything works normally here after updating an existing minimal tree is all I can say. And I’m really glad about the separation of mkii and mkiv code, it’ll make it so much easier to look for macro definitions in the source.

Thomas

* Re: [solved] Error in latest beta: luat-exe.lua not found
@ 2016-01-16 19:35               ` Romain Diss
From: Romain Diss @ 2016-01-16 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 16/01/2016, Hans Hagen a écrit
> On 1/16/2016 12:14 AM, Romain Diss wrote:
> >Hi all,

> >>i'll upload a version with a bit more checking
> >Still not working here. Is there a way to downgrade my installation back
> >to the last context beta without the mkii and mkiv subdirs in order to
> >be able to use context again (and wait for a solution)?
>
> you're the only one with this issue (or the only one who reports it) so i
> have no clue what to do
>
> does a fresh install work ?
After a lot of tests, I found the origin of the problem:
- I had a custom texmfcache dir set in my .bashrc file:
  > export TEXMFCACHE="${HOME}/.texmf-var"
- I certainly changed by mistake the acces rights of this texmfcache
  dir so it was write/read/execute protected.

So I change the acces rights of the dir and ran 'mtxrun --generate'
again and this solved everything. Maybe this can help to add checks for
this case.

Again thanks for your help.

PS: I agree with Thomas that the mkii and mkiv split is a really good
thing (however, I wonder why first-setup.sh installs the mkii dir when
called with --engine=luatex…)

All the best.

--
Romain Diss

* Re: [solved] Error in latest beta: luat-exe.lua not found
@ 2016-01-16 22:08                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-16 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/16/2016 8:35 PM, Romain Diss wrote:

> PS: I agree with Thomas that the mkii and mkiv split is a really good
> thing (however, I wonder why first-setup.sh installs the mkii dir when
> called with --engine=luatex…)

because it remembers that you have installed mkii before (there is a
status file)

Hans

* Re: [solved] Error in latest beta: luat-exe.lua not found
@ 2016-01-16 23:18                   ` Romain Diss
From: Romain Diss @ 2016-01-16 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 16/01/2016, Hans Hagen a écrit
> On 1/16/2016 8:35 PM, Romain Diss wrote:
>
> >PS: I agree with Thomas that the mkii and mkiv split is a really good
> >thing (however, I wonder why first-setup.sh installs the mkii dir when
> >called with --engine=luatex…)
>
> because it remembers that you have installed mkii before (there is a status
> file)
That's not an important point but I tried an installation after removing
this status file and I still get the mkii directory. I also tried to set
engines.pdftex and engines.xetex to false in the status file but nothing
changed.

Another remark. Maybe it's a problem on my side but in all the tests I
made to solve my problem, I noticed that context worked only if the
mtxrun path where the first one in my PATH environment variable…

All the best.

--
Romain Diss

* Re: [solved] Error in latest beta: luat-exe.lua not found
@ 2016-01-16 23:26                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-16 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/17/2016 12:18 AM, Romain Diss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 16/01/2016, Hans Hagen a écrit
>> On 1/16/2016 8:35 PM, Romain Diss wrote:
>>
>>> PS: I agree with Thomas that the mkii and mkiv split is a really good
>>> thing (however, I wonder why first-setup.sh installs the mkii dir when
>>> called with --engine=luatex…)
>>
>> because it remembers that you have installed mkii before (there is a status
>> file)
> That's not an important point but I tried an installation after removing
> this status file and I still get the mkii directory. I also tried to set
> engines.pdftex and engines.xetex to false in the status file but nothing
> changed.

ah, ok, but for that i need to coordinate with Mojca (first we needed to
have the split)

> Another remark. Maybe it's a problem on my side but in all the tests I
> made to solve my problem, I noticed that context worked only if the
> mtxrun path where the first one in my PATH environment variable…

you have to be more explicit

Hans

* Re: [solved] Error in latest beta: luat-exe.lua not found
@ 2016-01-17  7:55                       ` Romain Diss
From: Romain Diss @ 2016-01-17  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 17/01/2016, Hans Hagen a écrit
> On 1/17/2016 12:18 AM, Romain Diss wrote:
> >Another remark. Maybe it's a problem on my side but in all the tests I
> >made to solve my problem, I noticed that context worked only if the
> >mtxrun path where the first one in my PATH environment variable…
>
> you have to be more explicit
$ #MWE (bash)
$ export PATH=/opt/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
$ context test.tex
$ # works fine
$ export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin
$ context test.tex

  resolvers       | trees | analyzing 'home:texmf'cannot open /usr/share/texmf/scripts/context/lua/mtx-context.lua: No such file or directory

The previous line is the context output when I run context with the bin
installation path (/opt/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin) in the last
position in my environment PATH variable.

All the best

--
Romain Diss