* (My) problem with percent sign in URLs
@ 2017-08-14 16:27 Tomas Hala
From: Tomas Hala @ 2017-08-14 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I came across the problem with typesetting long URLs containing special
characters transformed to hexadecimal form. Hyphenation of URLs is needed.

Minimal examples (URL taken from our garden and adopted):

1. \hyphenatedurl{http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/a-former-book-designer-says-good-riddance-to-print/?hpw\%20hpw}
2. \hyphenatedurl[]{http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/a-former-book-designer-says-good-riddance-to-print/?hpw\%20hpw}

Ad 1:
Hyphenation of the URL is OK, but the output contains
percent sign preceded by escaping backslash.

Ad 2:
Percent sign is not escaped but hyphenation of the URL does not operate.
I hoped that there could be any option for this purpose but it seems not,
brackets are printed out, too.

Thank in advance for the help and best regards,

Tomas

* Re: (My) problem with percent sign in URLs
@ 2017-08-14 19:52 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-08-14 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/14/2017 06:27 PM, Tomas Hala wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I came across the problem with typesetting long URLs containing special
> characters transformed to hexadecimal form. Hyphenation of URLs is needed.
>
> Minimal examples (URL taken from our garden and adopted):
>
> 1. \hyphenatedurl{http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/a-former-book-designer-says-good-riddance-to-print/?hpw\%20hpw}

Hi Tomas,

I think \letterpercent is what you need.

Inside a little more complex sample:

    \setupinteraction[state=start]
    \unexpanded\def\mypersonalurl#1{%
            \bgroup\tt\goto{\hyphenatedurl{#1}}[url(#1)]\egroup}
    \starttext
    \hsize\zeropoint

\mypersonalurl{http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/a-former-book-designer-says-good-riddance-to-print/?hpw\letterpercent20hpw}
    \stoptext

Please update the garden (another command is \letterhash), when the
reply solved your problem.

Many thanks (for the update ;-)),

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: (My) problem with percent sign in URLs
@ 2017-08-15  8:25   ` Tomas Hala
From: Tomas Hala @ 2017-08-15  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pablo (and all),

thank you for the solution, it is exactly what I need.

It will be an honour for me to update the wiki but I guess
I had no permissions. Could somebody give access to me?

Tomas

Mon, Aug 14, 2017 ve 09:52:20PM +0200 Pablo Rodriguez napsal(a):
# On 08/14/2017 06:27 PM, Tomas Hala wrote:
# > Hi all,
# >
# > I came across the problem with typesetting long URLs containing special
# > characters transformed to hexadecimal form. Hyphenation of URLs is needed.
# >
# > Minimal examples (URL taken from our garden and adopted):
# >
# > 1. \hyphenatedurl{http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/a-former-book-designer-says-good-riddance-to-print/?hpw\%20hpw}
#
# Hi Tomas,
#
# I think \letterpercent is what you need.
#
# Inside a little more complex sample:
#
#     \setupinteraction[state=start]
#     \unexpanded\def\mypersonalurl#1{%
#             \bgroup\tt\goto{\hyphenatedurl{#1}}[url(#1)]\egroup}
#     \starttext
#     \hsize\zeropoint
#
# \mypersonalurl{http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/a-former-book-designer-says-good-riddance-to-print/?hpw\letterpercent20hpw}
#     \stoptext
#
# Please update the garden (another command is \letterhash), when the
# reply solved your problem.
#
# Many thanks (for the update ;-)),
#
# Pablo
# --
# http://www.ousia.tk
# ___________________________________________________________________________________
# If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!
#
# maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
# webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
# archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
# wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
# ___________________________________________________________________________________

                                         Tomáš Hála

* Re: (My) problem with percent sign in URLs
@ 2017-08-15  8:36     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2017-08-15  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It will be an honour for me to update the wiki but I guess
> I had no permissions. Could somebody give access to me?

No permissions are needed. You can simply create a new account and edit
any page.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&type=signup

Aditya

* Re: (My) problem with percent sign in URLs
@ 2017-08-15 16:12       ` Tomas Hala
From: Tomas Hala @ 2017-08-15 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, very simple, indeed.

Tomas

Tue, Aug 15, 2017 ve 04:36:15AM -0400 Aditya Mahajan napsal(a):
[...]

* Re: (My) problem with percent sign in URLs -- about Wiki
@ 2017-08-15 16:52   ` Tomas Hala
From: Tomas Hala @ 2017-08-15 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I updated the page about URLs. Reading the text, I found the following
sentence which -- in my opinion -- does not correspond with the current
behaviour:

"You can use \url[aurl] as well, which behaves like \from[#1]."

I tried it but the \url[aurl] is not printed out in green colour as well as
other similar links and, moreover, it seems not to be clickable.
Could somebody confirm or disprove it?

# \mypersonalurl{http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/a-former-book-designer-says-good-riddance-to-print/?hpw\letterpercent20hpw}
#
# Please update the garden (another command is \letterhash), when the
# reply solved your problem.

Are there some other predefined "\letterxxx" commands?

Is (and how) possible to change the name of page from Url to URL?

Cheers,

Tomas

# Many thanks (for the update ;-)),
#
# Pablo

* Re: (My) problem with percent sign in URLs -- about Wiki
@ 2017-08-15 17:07     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2017-08-15 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Tomas Hala <mailto:tomas.hala@mendelu.cz>
> 15. August 2017 um 18:52
> Hi,
>
> I updated the page about URLs. Reading the text, I found the following
> sentence which -- in my opinion -- does not correspond with the current
> behaviour:
>
> "You can use \url[aurl] as well, which behaves like \from[#1]."
>
> I tried it but the \url[aurl] is not printed out in green colour as
> well as
> other similar links and, moreover, it seems not to be clickable.
> Could somebody confirm or disprove it?
>
> #
> \mypersonalurl{http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/a-former-book-designer-says-good-riddance-to-print/?hpw\letterpercent20hpw}
> #
> # Please update the garden (another command is \letterhash), when the
> # reply solved your problem.
>
> Are there some other predefined "\letterxxx" commands?
\letteropenbrace
\letterclosebrace
\letterampersand
\letterless
\lettermore
\letterhash
\letterdoublequote
\lettersinglequote
\letterdollar
\letterpercent
\letterhat
\letterunderscore
\letterbar
\lettertilde
\letterbackslash
\letterslash
\letterquestionmark
\letterat
\lettercolon
\letterescape
\letterbgroup
\letteregroup
\letterleftbrace
\letterrightbrace
\letterexclamationmark

> Is (and how) possible to change the name of page from Url to URL?
I moved the page.

Wolfgang

* Re: (My) problem with percent sign in URLs -- about Wiki
@ 2017-08-15 18:28       ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2017-08-15 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there not some way to "protect" a literal string to be taken
verbatim where no character be active, for it is messy to have to
"clean-up" data such as a url.

Alan

@ 2017-08-15 18:55       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-08-15 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>> Tomas Hala 15. August 2017 um 18:52:
>> [...]
>> Are there some other predefined "\letterxxx" commands?
> \letteropenbrace
> [...]
> \letterexclamationmark

I would add other four (with Wolfgang’s permission):

    \letterleftparenthesis
    \letterrightparenthesis
    \letterleftbracket
    \letterrightbracket

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: (My) problem with percent sign in URLs -- about Wiki
@ 2017-08-15 19:07         ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-08-15 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/15/2017 08:28 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> Is there not some way to "protect" a literal string to be taken
> verbatim where no character be active, for it is messy to have to
> "clean-up" data such as a url.

Hi Alan,

wrapping the URL (or the footnote that contains it, it will crash inside
the footnote) with \startasciimode...\stopasciimode works too:

    \setupinteraction[state=start]
    \unexpanded\def\mypersonalurl#1{%
            \bgroup\tt\goto{\hyphenatedurl{#1}}[url(#1)]\egroup}
    \starttext

        \startasciimode
            \footnote{\mypersonalurl{http://a.b?hpw%20h#pw}}
        \stopasciimode

    \stoptext

Thomas, my apologies, because I have just remembered this. (I use
ConTeXt mainly with XML input sources.)

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: (My) problem with percent sign in URLs -- about Wiki
@ 2017-08-15 19:49         ` Tomas Hala
From: Tomas Hala @ 2017-08-15 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

# I would add other four (with Wolfgang’s permission):
#
#     \letterleftparenthesis
#     \letterrightparenthesis
#     \letterleftbracket
#     \letterrightbracket

Unfortunately, these four commands are not available on my computer (I use TL 2015).

Tomas

# Pablo
# --
# http://www.ousia.tk