* xtables: rowwise, columnwise, and cellwise operations
@ 2018-01-05  3:57 Henri
From: Henri @ 2018-01-05  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

The Natural Tables have this great feature that I can control the layout with rowwise, columnwise,
or cellwise setups.  For example:

\starttext

\setupTABLE [frame=off]
\setupTABLE [r] [first] [topframe=on,bottomframe=on,style=bold]
\setupTABLE [c] [2]     [style=italic]
\setupTABLE [2] [3]     [color=red]
\setupTABLE [r] [last]  [bottomframe=on]
\startTABLE
  \NC A \NC A \NC A \NC\NR
  \NC B \NC B \NC B \NC\NR
  \NC C \NC C \NC C \NC\NR
  \NC D \NC D \NC D \NC\NR
  \NC E \NC E \NC E \NC\NR
\stopTABLE

\stoptext

How can I do such a thing with Extreme Tables?  If it is not yet possible I'd like to request the
inclusion of such a mechanism.

Cheers, Henri

* Re: xtables: rowwise, columnwise, and cellwise operations
@ 2018-01-05 13:32 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-01-05 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/5/2018 4:57 AM, Henri wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> The Natural Tables have this great feature that I can control the layout with rowwise, columnwise,
> or cellwise setups.  For example:
>
> \starttext
>
> \setupTABLE [frame=off]
> \setupTABLE [r] [first] [topframe=on,bottomframe=on,style=bold]
> \setupTABLE [c] [2]     [style=italic]
> \setupTABLE [2] [3]     [color=red]
> \setupTABLE [r] [last]  [bottomframe=on]
> \startTABLE
>    \NC A \NC A \NC A \NC\NR
>    \NC B \NC B \NC B \NC\NR
>    \NC C \NC C \NC C \NC\NR
>    \NC D \NC D \NC D \NC\NR
>    \NC E \NC E \NC E \NC\NR
> \stopTABLE
>
> \stoptext

it's also an extremely inefficient method

> How can I do such a thing with Extreme Tables?  If it is not yet possible I'd like to request the
> inclusion of such a mechanism.
from the manual, named setups:

\setupxtable[suffix][align=middle,foregroundcolor=red]
\setupxtable[blabla][foregroundstyle=slanted]
\setupxtable[crap]  [foregroundcolor=blue]
\setupxtable[bold]  [crap][foregroundstyle=bold]

\startxtable % [frame=off]
     \startxtablehead
         \startxrow[bold]
             \startxcell[suffix]       head a \stopxcell
             \startxcell[blabla]       head b \stopxcell
             \startxcell               head c \stopxcell
         \stopxrow
     \stopxtablehead
     \startxtablebody
         \startxrow
             \startxcell[suffix][ny=2] cell a 1 \stopxcell
             \startxcell               cell b 1 \stopxcell
             \startxcell               cell c 1 \stopxcell
         \stopxrow
         \startxrow
             \startxcell               cell b 2 \stopxcell
             \startxcell               cell c 2 \stopxcell
         \stopxrow
         \startxrow
             \startxcell[suffix]       cell a 3 \stopxcell
             \startxcell               cell b 3 \stopxcell
             \startxcell               cell c 3 \stopxcell
         \stopxrow
         \startxrow
             \startxcell[suffix]       cell a 4 \stopxcell
             \startxcell               cell b 4 \stopxcell
             \startxcell               cell c 4 \stopxcell
         \stopxrow
         \startxrow
             \startxcell[suffix]       cell a 5 \stopxcell
             \startxcell               cell b 5 \stopxcell
             \startxcell               cell c 5 \stopxcell
         \stopxrow
     \stopxtablebody
\stopxtable

* Re: xtables: rowwise, columnwise, and cellwise operations
@ 2018-01-05 16:12   ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2018-01-05 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

apparently

>            \startxcell[suffix][ny=2] cell a 1 \stopxcell

should be

           \startxcell[suffix, ny=2] cell a 1 \stopxcell

> On 5 Jan 2018, at 14:32, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> On 1/5/2018 4:57 AM, Henri wrote:
>> Dear list,
>> The Natural Tables have this great feature that I can control the layout with rowwise, columnwise,
>> or cellwise setups.  For example:
>> \starttext
>> \setupTABLE [frame=off]
>> \setupTABLE [r] [first] [topframe=on,bottomframe=on,style=bold]
>> \setupTABLE [c] [2]     [style=italic]
>> \setupTABLE [2] [3]     [color=red]
>> \setupTABLE [r] [last]  [bottomframe=on]
>> \startTABLE
>>   \NC A \NC A \NC A \NC\NR
>>   \NC B \NC B \NC B \NC\NR
>>   \NC C \NC C \NC C \NC\NR
>>   \NC D \NC D \NC D \NC\NR
>>   \NC E \NC E \NC E \NC\NR
>> \stopTABLE
>> \stoptext
>
> it's also an extremely inefficient method
>
>> How can I do such a thing with Extreme Tables?  If it is not yet possible I'd like to request the
>> inclusion of such a mechanism.
> from the manual, named setups:
>
> \setupxtable[suffix][align=middle,foregroundcolor=red]
> \setupxtable[blabla][foregroundstyle=slanted]
> \setupxtable[crap]  [foregroundcolor=blue]
> \setupxtable[bold]  [crap][foregroundstyle=bold]
>
> \startxtable % [frame=off]
>    \startxtablehead
>        \startxrow[bold]
>            \startxcell[suffix]       head a \stopxcell
>            \startxcell[blabla]       head b \stopxcell
>            \startxcell               head c \stopxcell
>        \stopxrow
>    \stopxtablehead
>    \startxtablebody
>        \startxrow
>            \startxcell[suffix][ny=2] cell a 1 \stopxcell
>            \startxcell               cell b 1 \stopxcell
>            \startxcell               cell c 1 \stopxcell
>        \stopxrow
>        \startxrow
>            \startxcell               cell b 2 \stopxcell
>            \startxcell               cell c 2 \stopxcell
>        \stopxrow
>        \startxrow
>            \startxcell[suffix]       cell a 3 \stopxcell
>            \startxcell               cell b 3 \stopxcell
>            \startxcell               cell c 3 \stopxcell
>        \stopxrow
>        \startxrow
>            \startxcell[suffix]       cell a 4 \stopxcell
>            \startxcell               cell b 4 \stopxcell
>            \startxcell               cell c 4 \stopxcell
>        \stopxrow
>        \startxrow
>            \startxcell[suffix]       cell a 5 \stopxcell
>            \startxcell               cell b 5 \stopxcell
>            \startxcell               cell c 5 \stopxcell
>        \stopxrow
>    \stopxtablebody
> \stopxtable

[-- Attachment #1.2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: xtables: rowwise, columnwise, and cellwise operations
@ 2018-01-05 21:49     ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2018-01-05 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

No, in ConTeXt one NEVER, EVER mixes key=value lists with simple
keywords (parsing would otherwise be very less efficient).

The feature to be able to declare a "namespace" (such as the
one called "suffix") having particular values of its parameters is
really powerful. Think of it as "xtable:suffix" that inherits from the
namespace "xtable" but then lives a life of its own...

\startxcell takes and optional namespace specification, i.e. [suffix]
and an optional key=value list of parameters, i.e. [ny=2,...]. These
parameters override locally the values that are otherwise carried by
the namespace.

ConTeXt gurus: I hope that I have gotten this explanation right.

Alan