From: Tomas Hala <tomas.hala@mendelu.cz>
Subject: Re: Questions to PDF/A compliant documents: missing ICC files? -- II.
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 17:05:55 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi all,

I would like to open the PDF/A topic once more.

First, I would like to thank Alan, Luigi, Pablo and Henri for their pieces
of help and information.

========

(a) where I can find the set of original default*.icc files,

# Alan: /usr/local/share/color/icc/ghostscript

This must be dependent on the version of operating system or on something
else because on computers I have permission to work on no this subtree is present.

# Luigi: tex/texmf-context/colors/icc

In standalone versions I tried during March and April and Pablo in June, there is really this special directory
but we found there only one of the files -- default_gray.icc. Other default*.icc files
(default_cmyk.icc, default_rgb.icc) which are mentioned at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A
were not present. Similarly at http://www.eci.org/en/downloads.

# Henri:  http://dl.contextgarden.net/misc/iccprofiles/complete_ICC_profiles.zip

Good deal -- here one can really find all three default*.icc files mentioned at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A, but with no visible link to the
mentioned zipfile from this page.

========

(b) what is the reason why these files are not included in the TeXlive and garden installations,
(c) if it is possible to add it there for future, and

# Luigi: They are not included in texlive for some copyright issues.

What is the difference between texlive copyright approach and context standalone copyright approach?

I read a few documents about licences for icc files and it seemed to me that the redistribution is possible,
for non-commercial use without restrictions, the redistributor is obliged only to add the corresponding
licence document to the software containing the icc file(s) and must not change the name of the file(s).

So, is possible to add the missing two default*.icc files to the context standalone version?

========

(d) if the produced PDF (with \setupbackend[format={pdf/a-1b:2005}...]) is
PDF/a compliant when these icc files are not present and the whole content
of the document is only in black (i.e. no grayscale, no colours).

# No reaction. :-)

This question is important only if the default*.icc files are not (will not be) present and used when the PDF file is generated.
Has somebody got any idea whether the PDF/A without icc files is accepted as PDF/A or not?

========

The best,

Tomáš

-----------------------

Tue, Jun 19, 2018 ve 09:38:55AM +1200 Henri Menke napsal(a):
#
#
# On 19/06/18 03:20, Tomas Hala wrote:
# >Hi all,
# >
# >at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A I found the following:
# >
# >"""""
# >In ConTeXt mkiv, in order to create such a compliant PDF/A file, one can do as follows: first install (or check that they are present) the following color profiles files
# >
# >default_cmyk.icc
# >default_gray.icc
# >default_rgb.icc
# >ISOcoated_v2_300_eci.icc
# >
# >into tex/texmf-context/colors/icc/profiles of your Context standalone directory. The default_*.icc files are part of ghostscript...
# >"""""
# >
# >So I checked that they are present (CentOS 6.6, GPL Ghostscript 8.70) and
# >I discovered that these files are not present at any ConTeXt (or TeX) installation from TeXlive
# >neither as separate files, nor at file context/colors/icc/context/colorprofiles.xml.
# >
# >Only default_gray.icc is present as a part of ConTeXt installations from our garden.
# >
# >Therefore, I would like to ask
# >(a) where I can find the set of original default*.icc files,
# >(b) what is the reason why these files are not included in the TeXlive and garden installations,
# >(c) if it is possible to add it there for future, and
# >(d) if the produced PDF (with \setupbackend[format={pdf/a-1b:2005}...]) is PDF/a compliant when these
# >icc files are not present and the whole content of the document is only in black (i.e. no grayscale, no colours).
#
# wget http://dl.contextgarden.net/misc/iccprofiles/complete_ICC_profiles.zip
# unzip complete_ICC_profiles.zip -d /opt/context/tex/texmf-local
#
# >
# >Our university decided to be "PDF/a compliant", that is the reason why I am asking.
# >
# >Best wishes,
# >
# >Tomáš
# >
# >___________________________________________________________________________________
# >If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!
# >
# >maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
# >webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
# >archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
# >wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
# >___________________________________________________________________________________
# >
# If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!
#
# maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
# webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
# archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/