* column-spanning floats
@ 2018-07-31 11:57 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2018-07-31 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

It used to be that in an example like the one attached where you were using
\startcolumns and used an \externalfigure that was wider than the column width,
the figure would automatically be moved to the top of _both_ columns on the

That was a bit tricky sometimes, but worked fine. However, when I run with
the current mkiv beta, the figure is simply overlapping the next column, and
it does not auto-migrate.

Also \startpostponing does not work here because it will indeed move to the
text in the second column.

Is that functionality gone, or do I need to do something special?

Best wishes,
Taco

PS On top of that, the column balancing creates bad inter-paragraph spacing in
the left column. No idea where that comes from! :(

[-- Attachment #2: tryme.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: tryme.tex --]

\starttext
\startcolumns

\input knuth

\placefigure{not migrating}{\externalfigure[cow.pdf][width=1.8\textwidth]}

\dorecurse{14}{\strut\input knuth }

\stopcolumns
\stoptext

* Re: column-spanning floats
@ 2018-07-31 12:06 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2018-07-31 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 31 Jul 2018, at 13:57, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> It used to be that in an example like the one attached where you were using
> \startcolumns and used an \externalfigure that was wider than the column width,
> the figure would automatically be moved to the top of _both_ columns on the
>
> That was a bit tricky sometimes, but worked fine. However, when I run with
> the current mkiv beta, the figure is simply overlapping the next column, and
> it does not auto-migrate.
>
> Also \startpostponing does not work here because it will indeed move to the
> text in the second column.
>
> Is that functionality gone, or do I need to do something special?
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco
>
> PS On top of that, the column balancing creates bad inter-paragraph spacing in
> the left column. No idea where that comes from! :(

Also, I just tried \definecolumnset, but a) the balance=yes key does not
work, and b) I still get awful inter-par spacing on the left column, except
with \setuplayout[grid=yes] (but that should not be needed to just get
a reasonable placing, I think).

Taco

* Re: column-spanning floats
@ 2018-08-01 11:12   ` Dr. Thomas Möbius
From: Dr. Thomas Möbius @ 2018-08-01 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 14:06:43 +0200
Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> > On 31 Jul 2018, at 13:57, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It used to be that in an example like the one attached where you
> > were using \startcolumns and used an \externalfigure that was wider
> > than the column width, the figure would automatically be moved to
> > the top of _both_ columns on the next page.
> >
> > That was a bit tricky sometimes, but worked fine. However, when I
> > run with the current mkiv beta, the figure is simply overlapping
> > the next column, and it does not auto-migrate.
> >
> > Also \startpostponing does not work here because it will indeed
> > move to the next page, but still only occupies the left column,
> > thus overlapping any text in the second column.
> >
> > Is that functionality gone, or do I need to do something special?
> >
> > Best wishes,
> > Taco
> >
> > PS On top of that, the column balancing creates bad inter-paragraph
> > spacing in the left column. No idea where that comes from! :(
>

> Also, I just tried \definecolumnset, but a) the balance=yes key does
> not work, and b) I still get awful inter-par spacing on the left
> column, except with \setuplayout[grid=yes] (but that should not be
> needed to just get a reasonable placing, I think).
>
> Taco

I would also love to see a solution to this. I also tried to play with
the \definecolumnset instead of the \startcolumns but when there are is
a lot of inline math, \definecolumnset produces just horrible inter-par
spacing.

Thomas