* devanagari is missing an accent in newest beta
@ 2018-10-19  8:50 Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-10-19  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Disclaimer: I know nothing about devanagari, I can only describe
changes visually ...

I installed yesterday the newest context, and one of my examples of
devanagari is now missing an "accent". I'm rather confident that the
output was different before the update as I made screenshots when
testing this with luaotfload.

The affected font siddhanta can be found here
http://svayambhava.blogspot.com/p/siddhanta-devanagariunicode-open-type.html

Screenshots and code that show the difference and the missing accent
in the xelatex and context output are in this comment

https://github.com/u-fischer/luaotfload/issues/9#issuecomment-431288932

the older (perfect) output is in a comment above
https://github.com/u-fischer/luaotfload/issues/9#issuecomment-426978522

--
Ulrike Fischer
https://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: devanagari is missing an accent in newest beta
@ 2018-10-19  9:36 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2018-10-19  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 10:50:14AM +0200, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Screenshots and code that show the difference and the missing accent
> in the xelatex and context output are in this comment
>
> https://github.com/u-fischer/luaotfload/issues/9#issuecomment-431288932
>
> the older (perfect) output is in a comment above
> https://github.com/u-fischer/luaotfload/issues/9#issuecomment-426978522

  The missing “accent” is a repha, a form of the consonant ra.  It seems
to have been replaced by a middle dot, to the right of the base
consonant.  I can’t be completely sure because it’s protruding into the
next consonant so it’s almost indistinguishable from it, but I think
that’s what happened.

	Best,

		Arthur

* Re: devanagari is missing an accent in newest beta
@ 2018-10-19 11:27   ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-10-19 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Fri, 19 Oct 2018 11:36:48 +0200 schrieb Arthur Reutenauer:

>> Screenshots and code that show the difference and the missing accent
>> in the xelatex and context output are in this comment

>> https://github.com/u-fischer/luaotfload/issues/9#issuecomment-431288932

>> the older (perfect) output is in a comment above
>> https://github.com/u-fischer/luaotfload/issues/9#issuecomment-426978522
>
>   The missing “accent” is a repha, a form of the consonant ra.  It seems
> to have been replaced by a middle dot, to the right of the base
> consonant.  I can’t be completely sure because it’s protruding into the
> next consonant so it’s almost indistinguishable from it, but I think
> that’s what happened.

Yes, good catch. there is a dot. But I'm wondering if I saw ghosts
when thinking that it worked before. I can't find no commit which
changes to the "right" output and also in a older context it is
wrong.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: devanagari is missing an accent in newest beta
@ 2018-10-22  8:08     ` Melroch
From: Melroch @ 2018-10-22  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I haven't seen the examples since my tablet refuses to display them, but I
wonder if you have run into a difference between Hindi and Marathi
typography. The repha in Marathi is sometimes represented as a slightly
curved stroke between two letters. Googling "eyelash repha" I found this:

http://unicode.org/~emuller/iwg/p8/utcdoc.html

@ 2018-10-23  6:51       ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2018-10-23  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 10:08:01AM +0200, Melroch wrote:
> I haven't seen the examples since my tablet refuses to display them, but I
> wonder if you have run into a difference between Hindi and Marathi
> typography. The repha in Marathi is sometimes represented as a slightly
> curved stroke between two letters.

  Thanks Benct, but the little dot I think I see (actually a square
shape) does not look like that.

>                                    Googling "eyelash repha" I found this:
>
> http://unicode.org/~emuller/iwg/p8/utcdoc.html

  The source standard also works :-)

  The Unicode Standard version 11.0, p. 455 (part of chapter 12,
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode11.0.0/ch12.pdf)

	Best,

		Arthur