* State of the reference manual contextref.pdf
@ 2019-02-10 13:00 Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2019-02-10 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I'm wondering about the state of the reference manual
contextref.pdf. The wiki states

  “ConTeXt reference manual. This is the most comprehensive and
   up-to-date general manual[…]” Date: September 27, 2013

There used to be SVN access on
foundry.supelec.fr/projects/contextman, but apparently it's
permanently down. Where is the manual hosted at the moment? The wiki
still points to foundry.supelec.fr:

  https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Improving_the_manuals

Some years ago there was a discussion about moving it to github. But
I doubt that has ever taken place.

Marco

* Re: State of the reference manual contextref.pdf
@ 2019-02-10 16:43 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-02-10 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/10/2019 2:00 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm wondering about the state of the reference manual
> contextref.pdf. The wiki states
>
>    “ConTeXt reference manual. This is the most comprehensive and
>     up-to-date general manual[…]” Date: September 27, 2013
>
> There used to be SVN access on
> foundry.supelec.fr/projects/contextman, but apparently it's
> permanently down. Where is the manual hosted at the moment? The wiki
> still points to foundry.supelec.fr:
>
>    https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Improving_the_manuals
>
> Some years ago there was a discussion about moving it to github. But
> I doubt that has ever taken place.
that effort was changed in cooking up smaller independent manuals ...
that ref manual still applies to much (encodings and fonts have changed
of course)

Hans

* Re: State of the reference manual contextref.pdf
@ 2019-02-10 19:13   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2019-02-10 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 17:43:09 +0100
Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> that effort was changed in cooking up smaller independent manuals ...

Which I personally like. It provides more in depth knowledge.

> that ref manual still applies to much (encodings and fonts have
> changed of course)

I know about the state of the manual. The question is, if it's
frozen and abandoned and the source repo closed down or if it has
moved elsewhere. But as it seems it's no longer updated.

The wiki should reflect that, at least the old repo information
(foundry.supelec.fr) should go. The manual can stay. But before
removing the info on the wiki someone needs to confirm there's no
repo any longer.

@ 2019-02-11  6:43     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-02-11  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/10/2019 8:13 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 17:43:09 +0100
> Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> that effort was changed in cooking up smaller independent manuals ...
>
> Which I personally like. It provides more in depth knowledge.
>
>> that ref manual still applies to much (encodings and fonts have
>> changed of course)
>
> I know about the state of the manual. The question is, if it's
> frozen and abandoned and the source repo closed down or if it has
> moved elsewhere. But as it seems it's no longer updated.

indeed, so just forget about it

> The wiki should reflect that, at least the old repo information
> (foundry.supelec.fr) should go. The manual can stay. But before
> removing the info on the wiki someone needs to confirm there's no
> repo any longer.
Sure, so best coordinate this with taco who is cleaning up / upgrading
the wiki andhas a shadow to play with running. Actually some more input
on / help with that is welcome.

Hans

* Re: State of the reference manual contextref.pdf
@ 2019-02-11  8:11       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-02-11  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 11 Feb 2019, at 07:43, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

>> The wiki should reflect that, at least the old repo information
>> (foundry.supelec.fr) should go. The manual can stay. But before
>> removing the info on the wiki someone needs to confirm there's no
>> repo any longer.

Yes, the repo is gone. The page at https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Manuals
feels a bit out-of-date anyway, but I removed the reference to supelec.fr
right now. Clearly more work is needed on how to present the ConTeXt
documentation, and that is something that we are still working on.

> Sure, so best coordinate this with taco who is cleaning up / upgrading the wiki andhas a shadow to play with running. Actually some more input on / help with that is welcome.

And there is a mailing list to go with it:

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: State of the reference manual contextref.pdf
@ 2019-02-11  8:38         ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2019-02-11  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 09:11:53 +0100
Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On 11 Feb 2019, at 07:43, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >

> >> The wiki should reflect that, at least the old repo information
> >> (foundry.supelec.fr) should go. The manual can stay. But before
> >> removing the info on the wiki someone needs to confirm there's no
> >> repo any longer.
>
> Yes, the repo is gone.

Thanks for confirming. In case someone needs the sources, I uploaded
them to github (if no one objects). But I doubt I'll find the time
to keep it updated.

  https://github.com/mpfusion/context-contextman

> The page at https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Manuals feels a bit
> out-of-date anyway, but I removed the reference to supelec.fr
> right now.

While you're at it. This one points to supelec, too:

  https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Improving_the_manuals

> Clearly more work is needed on how to present the ConTeXt
> documentation, and that is something that we are still working on.

Never-ending story. But at least we should remove obviously
wrong/outdated information. If my wiki login still works and have
the permission, I can have a go myself some time this week.

> > Sure, so best coordinate this with taco who is cleaning up /
> > upgrading the wiki andhas a shadow to play with running. Actually
> > some more input on / help with that is welcome.
>
> And there is a mailing list to go with it:

I didn't know there's a list for the wiki. Signed up.

Marco