* tikz is not found
@ 2019-04-24 10:42 Gour
From: Gour @ 2019-04-24 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

in order to try using TikZ figures (exported from Geogebra) I tried
with some simple TikZ example with lmtx install, but I get the
following:

system          > ConTeXt  ver: 2019.04.16 09:07 MKIV beta  fmt:
2019.4.23  int: english/english system          >
system          > 'cont-new.mkiv' loaded
open source     > level 2, order 2, name
'/home/gour/opt/lmtx/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-new.mkiv'
system          > beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.mkiv close
source    > level 2, order 2, name
'/home/gour/opt/lmtx/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-new.mkiv'
system          > files > jobname 'tik', input './tik', result 'tik'
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded languages
> language 'en' is active open source     > level 2, order 3, name
> '/home/gour/prj/tex/tik.tex' colors          > 'rgb' color space is
> supported
colors          > 'cmyk' color space is supported
modules         > 'tikz' is not found
[...]

so wonder how to add missing tikz module?

I'm running Devuan (Debian) 'testing' (x86-64)...

Sincerely,
Gour

--
From anger, complete delusion arises, and from delusion
bewilderment of memory. When memory is bewildered,

* Re: tikz is not found
@ 2019-04-24 15:29 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2019-04-24 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 12:42:03 +0200
Gour <gour@atmarama.com> wrote:

> in order to try using TikZ figures (exported from Geogebra) I tried
> with some simple TikZ example with lmtx install,

> so wonder how to add missing tikz module?

Hans explained that third party modules are not automatically distributed or installed (yet) by the lmtx install.sh script. All that you need to do is to copy the texmf-modules directory from a standard context distribution to the lmtx tree.

If you are intending on preparing math exams, I may suggest that native MetaPost IS better adapted for many reasons AND easier to use in ConTeXt.

> That example does not work for me, but I've got a clue.

Because your (or someone's) mail application replaced -- with emdashes.

Alan

* Re: tikz is not found
@ 2019-04-24 16:57   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2019-04-24 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 09:29:26 -0600
Alan Braslau <braslau.list@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hans explained that third party modules are not automatically
> distributed or installed (yet) by the lmtx install.sh script.

Ahh...I apologize for creating extra noise then. :-(

> All that you need to do is to copy the texmf-modules directory from a
> standard context distribution to the lmtx tree.

OK. Will try to do it.

> If you are intending on preparing math exams, I may suggest that
> native MetaPost IS better adapted for many reasons AND easier to use
> in ConTeXt.

I believe it is, but it seems that learning curve is steeper, while
GeoGebra is quite easy to easy...However, I downloaded MetaPost manual
and will test how it goes.

> Because your (or someone's) mail application replaced -- with
> emdashes.

That I spotted and corrected, but I'm getting another error, I suppose:

$ cat  mp.tex
\starttext
Lorem Ipsum…

\startMPcode
draw ( (0,0)--(1,0)--(0,1)) with color red ;
\stopMPcode

\stoptext

gives:

$ context mp.tex
mtx-context     | run 1: luatex
--fmt="/var/lib/texmf/luatex-cache/context/b47c3d3cee7cb6c86268d0595268c442/formats/luatex/cont-en"
--jobname="mp"
--lua="/var/lib/texmf/luatex-cache/context/b47c3d3cee7cb6c86268d0595268c442/formats/luatex/cont-en.lui"
--no-parse-first-line --c:currentrun=1 --c:fulljobname="./mp.tex"
--c:input="./mp.tex" --c:kindofrun=1 --c:maxnofruns=9 "cont-yes.mkiv"

This is LuaTeX, Version 1.07.0 (TeX Live 2019/dev/Debian)
 system commands enabled.
open source     > level 1, order 1, name
'/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-yes.mkiv' system
> system          > ConTeXt  ver: 2018.04.04 00:51 MKIV beta  fmt:
> 2019.4.24  int: english/english
system          >
system          > 'cont-new.mkiv' loaded
open source     > level 2, order 2, name
'/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-new.mkiv' close source
> level 2, order 2, name
> '/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-new.mkiv'
> system          > files > jobname 'mp', input './mp', result 'mp'
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language 'en' is active
open source     > level 2, order 3, name '/home/gour/prj/tex/mp.tex'
fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (second stage)
fonts           > 'fallback modern-designsize rm 12pt' is loaded
metapost        > initializing instance 'metafun' using format 'metafun'
metapost        > loading 'metafun' as
'/usr/share/texmf/metapost/context/base/mpiv/metafun.mpiv' using method
'default' metapost        > initializing number mode 'scaled'

tex error       > mp error on line 6 in file /home/gour/prj/tex/mp.tex:

>> currentpen.with
! Improper type.
<to be read again>
color
<*> draw ( (0,0)--(1,0)--(0,1)) with color
red ; ;
Next time say `withpen <known pen expression>';
I'll ignore the bad `with' clause and look for another.

! Extra tokens will be flushed.
<to be read again>
color
<*> draw ( (0,0)--(1,0)--(0,1)) with color
red ; ;
I've just read as much of that statement as I could fathom,
so a semicolon should have been next. It's very puzzling...
but I'll try to get myself back together, by ignoring
everything up to the next `;'. Please insert a semicolon
now in front of anything that you don't want me to delete.
(See Chapter 27 of The METAFONTbook for an example.)

[1]

1     \starttext
2     Lorem Ipsum…
3
4     \startMPcode
5     draw ( (0,0)--(1,0)--(0,1)) with color red ;
6 >>  \stopMPcode
7
8     \stoptext
9

?

Any hint?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
An intelligent person does not take part in the sources of misery,
which are due to contact with the material senses. O son of Kuntī,

--
One must deliver himself with the help of his mind, and not
degrade himself. The mind is the friend of the conditioned soul,

* Re: tikz is not found
@ 2019-04-24 17:08     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-04-24 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gour schrieb am 24.04.2019 um 18:57:
> That I spotted and corrected, but I'm getting another error, I suppose:
> $ cat  mp.tex
> \starttext
> Lorem Ipsum…
>
> \startMPcode
> draw ( (0,0)--(1,0)--(0,1)) with color red ;
Change "with color" to "withcolor" (no space).

Wolfgang

* Re: tikz is not found
@ 2019-04-24 17:15       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-04-24 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Gour schrieb am 24.04.2019 um 18:57:
>> That I spotted and corrected, but I'm getting another error, I suppose:
>> $ cat  mp.tex
>> \starttext
>> Lorem Ipsum…
>>
>> \startMPcode
>> draw ( (0,0)--(1,0)--(0,1)) with color red ;
> Change "with color" to "withcolor" (no space).

Here is a more detailed example that mimics the tikz code that you sent in
the other email.

\definecolor[myblue][r=0.3,g=0.3,b=1]
\definecolor[myred][r=0.6,g=0.2,b=0]

\starttext
\startMPpage
   newpair A, B, C;

   A := (-7.7, 2.75)*1cm;
   B := (0.88, 2.57)*1cm;
   C := (-3.04, -3.37)*1cm;

   newpath triangle;
   triangle := A -- B -- C -- cycle;
   fill triangle withcolor "myred" withtransparency("normal", 0.1);
   draw triangle withpen pencircle scaled 2pt
                 withcolor "myred";

   dotlabeldiam := 5pt;
   dotlabel.lft("A", A) withcolor "myblue";
   dotlabel.rt ("B", B) withcolor "myblue";
   dotlabel.bot("C", C) withcolor "myblue";

\stopMPpage
\stoptext

In ConTeXt, if you put quotes around the name of a color, it looks at the
colors defined in tex rather than colors defined in metapost. This allows
you to easily share the same colors in text and figures.

As an elegent example of this see this excellent imitation of Byrne's
Euclid:
https://github.com/jemmybutton/byrne-euclid/releases/download/0.6%2B0.3/byrne_context.pdf

(Source at https://github.com/jemmybutton/byrne-euclid)

Aditya

* Re: tikz is not found
@ 2019-04-24 19:56         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-04-24 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/24/2019 7:15 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> As an elegent example of this see this excellent imitation of Byrne's
> Euclid:
> https://github.com/jemmybutton/byrne-euclid/releases/download/0.6%2B0.3/byrne_context.pdf
>

> (Source at https://github.com/jemmybutton/byrne-euclid)
Ha, that is nice ... i actually have a facsimile of that book somewhere
but this is more fun

Hans

* Re: tikz is not found
@ 2019-04-25  8:24       ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2019-04-25  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 19:08:12 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Change "with color" to "withcolor" (no space).

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Gour

* Re: tikz is not found
@ 2019-04-25  9:25         ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2019-04-25  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 13:15:14 -0400 (EDT)
Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> Here is a more detailed example that mimics the tikz code that you
> sent in the other email.

Thank you very much - it is very useful for learning purposes.

> In ConTeXt, if you put quotes around the name of a color, it looks at
> the colors defined in tex rather than colors defined in metapost.
> This allows you to easily share the same colors in text and figures.

That's great and desirable!

> As an elegent example of this see this excellent imitation of Byrne's
> Euclid:
> https://github.com/jemmybutton/byrne-euclid/releases/download/0.6%2B0.3/byr
> ne_context.pdf
>
> (Source at https://github.com/jemmybutton/byrne-euclid)

Wow!!

This is wonderful example and learning resource.

Thank you, all, for your replies. Such a friendly and helping
list/community!

Sincerely
Gour

--
A person is considered still further advanced when he regards honest
well-wishers, affectionate benefactors, the neutral, mediators, the

--
From anger, complete delusion arises, and from delusion