* Bibliography APS Style without unpublished
@ 2019-05-15 12:27 Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2019-05-15 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

is there an option to eliminate the "unpublished" in aps bibliography?

I understand that apa and aps are the only implemented styles. Is there
any other style I can use?

TIA
juh

* Re: Bibliography APS Style without unpublished
@ 2019-05-16  0:05 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2019-05-16  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 15 May 2019 14:27:21 +0200
"Jan U. Hasecke" <juh+ntg-context@mailbox.org> wrote:

> is there an option to eliminate the "unpublished" in aps bibliography?

I suppose you mean the APS setup when NO date field is given
("to be published" for an article, "in press" for a book, and
"unpublished" otherwise)?

You can redefine the setup btx:aps:nd (no date) to give something else,
but you might have to go further not to get empty parenthesis.

A better solution, using the APS specification is to have a correct
database. Maybe a different publication type category might be more
appropriate.

--
Alan

* Re: Bibliography APS Style without unpublished
@ 2019-05-16  0:06 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2019-05-16  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 15 May 2019 14:27:21 +0200
"Jan U. Hasecke" <juh+ntg-context@mailbox.org> wrote:

> I understand that apa and aps are the only implemented styles. Is
> there any other style I can use?

You can write your own style, or your own modified style. Also, we can
implement more styles if (1) there is a need, and (2) there is a clear,
defined standard that can be followed.

Alan

--
Alan

* Re: Bibliography APS Style without unpublished
@ 2019-05-16  8:02   ` Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2019-05-16  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alan,
thanks a lot for these hints.

Am 16.05.19 um 02:05 schrieb Alan Braslau:
> On Wed, 15 May 2019 14:27:21 +0200
> "Jan U. Hasecke" <juh+ntg-context@mailbox.org> wrote:
>
>> is there an option to eliminate the "unpublished" in aps bibliography?
>
> I suppose you mean the APS setup when NO date field is given
> ("to be published" for an article, "in press" for a book, and
> "unpublished" otherwise)?
>
> You can redefine the setup btx:aps:nd (no date) to give something else,
> but you might have to go further not to get empty parenthesis.
>
> A better solution, using the APS specification is to have a correct
> database. Maybe a different publication type category might be more
> appropriate.

I browsed through the mailing list to see that bibliographies are not
that easy. ;-)

I think I found a solution by providing a "year" in my database. That's
good enough for me.

But as I collect my internet citations with zotero I always get a
urldate for all internet entries. I think that giving the urldate is
better than insert a publication year as nobody knows how long a website
was present and when it was published for the first time.

Is it possible to insert something like "last accessed on the internet
on YYYY-MM-DD" in that field automatically if no publication year is
provided but a urldate?

Greetings

@ 2019-05-16 10:48   ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2019-05-16 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am not the OP, but I'm very much interested in how referencing works with
ConTeXt so let me add to this.

> You can write your own style, or your own modified style.

Is the publications manual still up to date? Is there more recent
information available? How would I start writing my own style?

Concerning your two requirements for new styles:

(2) there is a clear, defined standard that can be followed.

This is actually the easier question: A few standard styles immediately
come to mind: MLA, Chicago 16th and 17 edition in its various variants
(author-date, note-bibliography, fullnote-bibliography, both note styles
with and without ibid.), Modern Humanities Research Association... I guess
having a model for all major variants (authordate, authoryear, numeric,
alphanumeric) would be a good starting point.

Also, we can implement more styles if (1) there is a need

This is more tricky. I do very much like what ConTeXt has to offer for
typesetting finished works, but I currently would not use it for writing a
larger work in the Humanities. For smaller pieces I would probably write in
Markdown, use pandoc to produce a context source file, and pandoc will me
automatic citations via pandoc-citeproc (yet with a few glitches). For a
longer work I currently don't have an alternative to biblatex. And I guess
that is the point: Those with rather complex requirements for citations
will either do them manually or use biblatex for this so it's not so easy
to say if "there is a need". Having said that, I would really like being
able to use ConTeXt here as well. So having a author-title style for the
footnotes and the bibliographies would be more than welcome.

* Re: Bibliography APS Style without unpublished
@ 2019-05-16 14:12     ` nyssus
From: nyssus @ 2019-05-16 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16/05/2019 11:48, Denis Maier wrote:
> This is more tricky. I do very much like what ConTeXt has to offer for
> typesetting finished works, but I currently would not use it for writing a
> larger work in the Humanities. For smaller pieces I would probably write in
> Markdown, use pandoc to produce a context source file, and pandoc will me
> automatic citations via pandoc-citeproc (yet with a few glitches). For a
> longer work I currently don't have an alternative to biblatex. And I guess
> that is the point: Those with rather complex requirements for citations
> will either do them manually or use biblatex for this so it's not so easy
> to say if "there is a need". Having said that, I would really like being
> able to use ConTeXt here as well. So having a author-title style for the
> footnotes and the bibliographies would be more than welcome.

Honestly, some way to use CSL files to style bibliography would be ideal
here, but that doesn't seem to currently exist

* Re: Bibliography APS Style without unpublished
@ 2019-05-16 14:57       ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2019-05-16 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, currently not. But citeproc-rs, a CSL implementation written in Rust
is in the making. I don't know if there will be any progress in the near
future, but it should be possible to use this via lua bindings.

@ 2019-05-16 15:02       ` Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2019-05-16 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 16.05.19 um 16:12 schrieb nyssus:
> Honestly, some way to use CSL files to style bibliography would be ideal
> here, but that doesn't seem to currently exist

Have a look at Pablos way to go from pandoc via xhtml to context:

https://github.com/ousia/from-pandoc-to-context

Or a slightly improved fork:
https://github.com/aksdb/pandoc-xhtml

I use this to write books with Markdown and produce the outputs with
pandoc to epub and pdf.

With Pandoc you can use CSL files and include the bibliography via XML
into ConTeXt.

HTH

@ 2019-05-16 15:21         ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2019-05-16 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Very interesting project. I have a workflow where I produce ConTeXt sources
from markdown via pandoc. But using XML could be even better. Nevertheless,
this still leaves us with the problem that CSL support with pandoc-citeproc
has a few glitches (wrong disambiguation; ibids can be ambiguous, some
features aren't implemented at all).

@ 2019-05-16 15:40         ` nyssus
From: nyssus @ 2019-05-16 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16/05/2019 16:02, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:
> Am 16.05.19 um 16:12 schrieb nyssus:
>> Honestly, some way to use CSL files to style bibliography would be ideal
>> here, but that doesn't seem to currently exist
> Have a look at Pablos way to go from pandoc via xhtml to context:

That's good if you're trying to convert documents from Markdown to
ConTeXt, but not so good if you're used to writing documents in ConTeXt
(or LaTeX for that matter) directly, as it's rather cumbersome to edit
individual bibliographic entries outputted by pandoc compared to
citation commands.

* Re: Bibliography APS Style without unpublished
@ 2019-05-16 20:37     ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2019-05-16 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 16 May 2019 10:02:44 +0200
"Jan U. Hasecke" <juh+ntg-context@mailbox.org> wrote:

> But as I collect my internet citations with zotero I always get a
> urldate for all internet entries. I think that giving the urldate is
> better than insert a publication year as nobody knows how long a
> website was present and when it was published for the first time.
>
> Is it possible to insert something like "last accessed on the internet
> on YYYY-MM-DD" in that field automatically if no publication year is
> provided but a urldate?

urldate is a non-standard field that Zotero (and others) have added.
It is not handled by the revtex bibliography style that can be used as
the reference for the "APS" style.

The APA style guide suggests putting the author followed by the access
date, then the title, adding "Retrieved from" followed by the URL.

Internet citations, unless they correspond to a "preprint" on an
archived list server are questionable references anyways, which is why
the APS suggests using (unpublished).

--
Alan

* Re: Bibliography APS Style without unpublished
@ 2019-05-16 20:43     ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2019-05-16 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 16 May 2019 12:48:30 +0200
Denis Maier <maier.de@gmail.com> wrote:

> (2) there is a clear, defined standard that can be followed.
>
> This is actually the easier question: A few standard styles
> immediately come to mind: MLA, Chicago 16th and 17 edition in its
> various variants (author-date, note-bibliography,
> fullnote-bibliography, both note styles with and without ibid.),
> Modern Humanities Research Association... I guess having a model for
> all major variants (authordate, authoryear, numeric, alphanumeric)
> would be a good starting point.

The main point is to have some document we can turn to as a reference
so as to avoid (endless) debates about the "proper" way to do things.
It has always been our intention to support more styles, but not
endless variants as almost no publishers, universities and other
institutions correctly follow any established specifications.

> Also, we can implement more styles if (1) there is a need

A call for specific use cases.

--
Alan