* problems with images, layers and crop marks
@ 2019-07-07 23:06 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-07-07 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,
I’m quite quiet at the moment, because I can access my mailing list
address only via inconvenient webmail; since I updated MacOS, neither
Apple Mail nor Thunderbird will take my password anymore... :-((
Besides, I’m currently well paid for working with LaTeX, and my other
projects get less time.

Anyway, one of our authors finally submitted her final corrections,
and "of course" my ConTeXt setup that still worked well in May doesn’t
behave any more:

* stacked layers won’t work on the first page (there should be a title
bar above an image; it works on the back cover, but not on the front;
but I can enable one of both layers)

That might be related to:

* on some right pages, including p.1 (cover), crop marks are shifted
one page width to the right.

* on some pages, crop marks are shifted vertically; might be related
to using \offset for image placement.

I’m trying to cook up MWEs, but the behaviour is so strange and
irregular, that I don’t know if I can reproduce it in a simpler
environment... I suspect my combined use of postponing, makeups,
layers and \offset might have grown side effects since May.

Any ideas?

Greetlings, Hraban

Greetlings, Hraban
Grüßlinge, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: problems with images, layers and crop marks
@ 2019-07-08  7:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-07-08  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/8/2019 1:06 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Hi all,
> I’m quite quiet at the moment, because I can access my mailing list
> address only via inconvenient webmail; since I updated MacOS, neither
> Apple Mail nor Thunderbird will take my password anymore... :-((
> Besides, I’m currently well paid for working with LaTeX, and my other
> projects get less time.
>

> Anyway, one of our authors finally submitted her final corrections, and
> "of course" my ConTeXt setup that still worked well in May doesn’t
> behave any more:
>
> * stacked layers won’t work on the first page (there should be a title
> bar above an image; it works on the back cover, but not on the front;
> but I can enable one of both layers)
>
> That might be related to:
>
> * on some right pages, including p.1 (cover), crop marks are shifted one
> page width to the right.
>
> * on some pages, crop marks are shifted vertically; might be related to
> using \offset for image placement.
>
> I’m trying to cook up MWEs, but the behaviour is so strange and
> irregular, that I don’t know if I can reproduce it in a simpler
> environment... I suspect my combined use of postponing, makeups, layers
> and \offset might have grown side effects since May.
>
> Any ideas?
afaik nothing fundamental changed in these areas (ok, maybe you operate
out of the formal functionality) ... of course, if you're using lmtx it
might be that something got fixed in there, as at that moment it was
more experimental than it is now

Hans

* Re: problems with images, layers and crop marks
@ 2019-07-08 10:26 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-07-08 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found the culprit, it’s \clip :

\setuppapersize[A6][C6]
\setuplayout[
	location=middle,
	marking=on,
]

\starttext
	\clip[
		hoffset=\textwidth,
		voffset=5mm,
		width=\pagewidth,
		height=\pageheight]{%
	\externalfigure[hacker][height=\pageheight]}

\page[right]
\strut

\stoptext

Crop marks as well as some layers (not shown in example) are shifted
by \clip’s hoffset and voffset.
I guess there’s some internal variables bleeding or the like?

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2019-07-08 11:44   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-07-08 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/8/2019 12:26 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> I found the culprit, it’s \clip :
>

> \setuppapersize[A6][C6]
> \setuplayout[
>      location=middle,
>      marking=on,
> ]
>
> \starttext
>      \clip[
>          hoffset=\textwidth,
>          voffset=5mm,
>          width=\pagewidth,
>          height=\pageheight]{%
>      \externalfigure[hacker][height=\pageheight]}
>
> \page[right]
> \strut

beware: \pagewidth and \pageheight are low level engine variables, use
\paperwidth and \paperheight instead as these engine ones will be nilled

> \stoptext
>

> Crop marks as well as some layers (not shown in example) are shifted by
> \clip’s hoffset and voffset.
> I guess there’s some internal variables bleeding or the like?
hm, i'll apply a bit more agressive grouping there; i'll send you a test

Hans

* Re: problems with images, layers and crop marks
@ 2019-07-08 14:39     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-07-08 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zitat von Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:

> On 7/8/2019 12:26 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> I found the culprit, it’s \clip :
>>

>> \setuppapersize[A6][C6]
>> \setuplayout[
>>     location=middle,
>>     marking=on,
>> ]
>>
>> \starttext
>>     \clip[
>>         hoffset=\textwidth,
>>         voffset=5mm,
>>         width=\pagewidth,
>>         height=\pageheight]{%
>>     \externalfigure[hacker][height=\pageheight]}
>>
>> \page[right]
>> \strut
>
> beware: \pagewidth and \pageheight are low level engine variables,
> use \paperwidth and \paperheight instead as these engine ones will
> be nilled

Thank you for the hint. In my actual code I use other measures.

>> \stoptext
>>

>> Crop marks as well as some layers (not shown in example) are
>> shifted by \clip’s hoffset and voffset.
>> I guess there’s some internal variables bleeding or the like?
> hm, i'll apply a bit more agressive grouping there; i'll send you a test

Thank you, that seems to fix it.

Greetlings, Hraban
---