* Unicode 13 – save the \dodo!
@ 2020-02-05  8:45 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-02-05  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I’m a bit late: Last week the Unicode consortium released the latest version of their nowadays mostly-emoji standard.

Besides several entries for transgender representation, there are also new animals, and most important: “my” ConTeXt mascot, the Dodo! ;D

see https://unicode.org/emoji/charts-13.0/emoji-released.html

I still miss e.g.
- adaptible colors for everything-else-than-skintone (e.g. vehicles)
- political symbols (red flag, hammer-and-sickle – of course the selection would be a political decision and would cause problems with prohibited, e.g. nazi, symbols, but maybe we can just get simple flags in several colors? adaptible would make sense...)
- lots of local and/or vegetarian food (Kässpätzle, Leberkäswecken, Schupfnudeln, veg. pizza, tofu…)
- some sense…

While I agree that we need some standardization in symbols, I still don’t think it was a good idea to mix them with text glyphs and bloat font technology with colors.

Greetlings, Hraban