Dear all, with your help I can colorize the empty even page right before a chapter starts on the odd page. The mwe below shows it. Now I would like to redefine the contents of the left page on the fly in the text so that I could place images on this page. I thought that I could get a simple solution by inserting a TEXpage as even page, but this does not work for several reasons. First a TEXpage is not counted correctly like a normal page. And secondly I found now way to put it on the even page. So what I really want to achieve is a way to redefine this setups at some point in the text to insert eg. a picture on the even page before a chapter. \startsetups [chapter:before] \doifoddpageelse {} {\pushbackground[page] \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=blue,] \page[empty,right] \popbackground} \stopsetups Here comes the not so mwe: %% start mwe \setuplayout [ location=doublesided ] \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided] \definepagebreak [chapter] [footer,yes,header,footer,right] \startsetups [chapter:before] \doifoddpageelse {} {\pushbackground[page] \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=blue,] \page[empty,right] \popbackground} \stopsetups \setuphead [chapter] [ page=yes, before=\directsetup{chapter:before}, ] \setupexternalfigure[location=default] \starttext \startchapter [title={foo}] \dorecurse{2}{\input tufte \par} \stopchapter \startchapter [title={foo2}] \dorecurse{6}{\input tufte \par} \stopchapter \startchapter [title={bar}] \input knuth \startTEXpage \externalfigure[cow.pdf][height=\paperheight,width=\paperwidth] \stopTEXpage \stopchapter \startchapter [title={baz}] \input knuth \stopchapter \stoptext %% stop mwe As you see the image is not in the right place and of course the pagenumbering is wrong. I want that one of these blue pages shows an image. Is this possible? Thanks for your help. juh -- Autoren-Homepage: ......... http://literatur.hasecke.com Satiren & Essays: ......... http://www.sudelbuch.de Privater Blog: ............ http://www.hasecke.eu Netzliteratur-Projekt: .... http://www.generationenprojekt.de