* Beamer --> ConTeXt (sample)
@ 2020-10-09 17:01 Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2020-10-09 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

recently I ha dto quickly put together few presentations for online
meetings and not knowing better (aka quicker) way, I took/installed LyX
on my Fedora machine. The process is not so smooth and end result is OK
if we forgive ourselves that all Beamer presentations are looking almost
the same.

However, I'm not into diving deep into Beamer package studying/learning
it more thoroughly  anticipating that soon I'd have to do the same thing
with some other package. :-)

Otoh, ConTeXt is a different league and learning it will pay for itself
in the long run.

However, in order to be at least somewhat productive, I need some help
so I can have some starter and not postponing learning ConTeXt ad
infinitum, so I'm attaching small Beamer sample and wonder if someone
can help by providing somewhat similar thing for ConText? (no need for
all the graphic - I'm more concerned with proper overlays and having
content in more than single column).

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A self-realized man has no purpose to fulfill in the discharge
of his prescribed duties, nor has he any reason not to perform

[-- Attachment #2: beamer.pdf --]

* Re: Beamer --> ConTeXt (sample)
@ 2020-10-09 17:57 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-10-09 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 09.10.2020 um 19:01 schrieb Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com>:

> I'm attaching small Beamer sample and wonder if someone can help by providing somewhat similar thing for ConText?

If you need columns, look into columnsets: https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns#Column_Sets

Read https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layers and play around with layers.
(But your example doesn’t need layers at all.)

Here’s an example of the drop shadow:
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Drop_shadows

Also, there’s a number of presentation styles in the distribution.
The wiki page https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Presentation_Styles is outdated but might give you some hints.
Feel free to update it.

Hraban

* Re: Beamer --> ConTeXt (sample)
@ 2020-10-09 20:01 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2020-10-09 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> recently I ha dto quickly put together few presentations for online meetings
> and not knowing better (aka quicker) way, I took/installed LyX on my Fedora
> machine. The process is not so smooth and end result is OK if we forgive
> ourselves that all Beamer presentations are looking almost the same.

Agreed. I find that all beamer presentations look the same and it can be difficult to change the look and feel of beamer presentations.

> However, I'm not into diving deep into Beamer package studying/learning it
> more thoroughly  anticipating that soon I'd have to do the same thing with
> some other package. :-)
>
> Otoh, ConTeXt is a different league and learning it will pay for itself in the
> long run.
>
> However, in order to be at least somewhat productive, I need some help so I
> can have some starter and not postponing learning ConTeXt ad infinitum, so I'm
> attaching small Beamer sample and wonder if someone can help by providing
> somewhat similar thing for ConText? (no need for all the graphic - I'm more
> concerned with proper overlays and having content in more than single column).

A presentation is just a regular document with small margins and some color :-)
Here is an old blog post on how to get to a decent presentation layout step-by-step.

https://adityam.github.io/context-blog/post/presentation-40-commits-redux/

I also extensively use layers for absolute placement of content, which is more powerful than the simple two columns which beamer provides.

Aditya

* Re: Beamer --> ConTeXt (sample)
@ 2020-10-10 16:59   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-10-10 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 09.10.2020 um 19:57 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
>

>> Am 09.10.2020 um 19:01 schrieb Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com>:
>
>> I'm attaching small Beamer sample and wonder if someone can help by providing somewhat similar thing for ConText?
>
> If you need columns, look into columnsets: https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns#Column_Sets
>
> Read https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layers and play around with layers.
> (But your example doesn’t need layers at all.)
>
> Here’s an example of the drop shadow:
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Drop_shadows
>
> Also, there’s a number of presentation styles in the distribution.
> The wiki page https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Presentation_Styles is outdated but might give you some hints.
> Feel free to update it.

BTW here’s a very wide presentation style I made for the 2019 meeting:
https://sedna.fiee.net/d/554ff6b974874612b581/ (link valid for 30 days)

env_pres.tex is the style, the other .tex files are presentations and test stuff.

Have fun.

Hraban

* Re: Beamer --> ConTeXt (sample)
@ 2020-10-11 15:51   ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2020-10-11 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 07:57:56PM +0200, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> If you need columns, look into columnsets: https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns#Column_Sets
>
> Read https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layers and play around with layers.
> (But your example doesn’t need layers at all.)
>
> Here’s an example of the drop shadow:
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Drop_shadows
>
> Also, there’s a number of presentation styles in the distribution.
> The wiki page https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Presentation_Styles is outdated but might give you some hints.
> Feel free to update it.

Thank you very much for all the links as well as for download link (from
another msg)!!

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One must deliver himself with the help of his mind, and not
degrade himself. The mind is the friend of the conditioned soul,

* Re: Beamer --> ConTeXt (sample)
@ 2020-10-11 15:53   ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2020-10-11 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 04:01:39PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Agreed. I find that all beamer presentations look the same and it can
> be difficult to change the look and feel of beamer presentations.

Indeed.

> A presentation is just a regular document with small margins and some
> color :-)

:-)

> Here is an old blog post on how to get to a decent presentation layout step-by-step.
>
> https://adityam.github.io/context-blog/post/presentation-40-commits-redux/

Wow! This is very useful, thanks a lot!!

> I also extensively use layers for absolute placement of content, which
> is more powerful than the simple two columns which beamer provides.

Thank youm will study them...

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The senses are so strong and impetuous, O Arjuna,
that they forcibly carry away the mind even of a man