* Arabic place names
@ 2021-04-09 23:05 jbf
From: jbf @ 2021-04-09 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a lengthy text in English which occasionally uses Arabic place
names in brackets, e.g.

Khàbab ( خبب )is a Syrian town 50 km south of Damascus

The text is copy-pasted from a Word file, so I do not have to type the
Arabic as such, and would not know how to do that anyway.

Since I never usually have to work with Arabic script (though I do have
a font installed and recognised by ConTeXt (with the usual mtxrun
commands) I am not sure how to achieve this. There might be just half a
dozen of these place names involved in a text of some 300 pages worth.
The font, BTW is Arslan Wessam A.ttf

My humble attempt: I did the following in my preamble:

\definefallbackfamily [mainface] [sans] [aarslanwessama] [range=arabic]

The rest of the [mainface] setups are obviously western fonts. But the
fallbackfamily approach did nothing to help. I also tried:

Khàbab {\switchtobodyfont[aarslanwessama](خبب)} is a Syrian town 50 km
south of Damascus...  but that did nothing either.

Am quite out of my depth with this one so any help would be appreciated.

Julian

* Re: Arabic place names
@ 2021-04-10 12:39 ` Arthur Rosendahl
From: Arthur Rosendahl @ 2021-04-10 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 09:05:37AM +1000, jbf wrote:
>                                                         The font, BTW is
> Arslan Wessam A.ttf

  Do you need to use this font in particular?  I do have problems with
it too.  Replacing it with e. g. DejaVu Sans gives good results.

	Arthur

* Re: Arabic place names
@ 2021-04-10 22:47   ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2021-04-10 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for that tip, Arthur. I, too, considered that it might be the
font that was giving me problems (among other things, mainly my lack of
understanding of r2l!), so I swapped to Amiri and then used the setup
below which I then called in whenever needed -- it seems to work. But I
will take a look at DejaVu Sans.

\definefont[ArabicFont][file:Amiri-Regular.ttf*arabic at 11pt]

\startsetups arabic
\setupalign[r2l]
\ArabicFont
\stopsetups

Julian

On 10/4/21 10:39 pm, Arthur Rosendahl wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 09:05:37AM +1000, jbf wrote:
>>                                                          The font, BTW is
>> Arslan Wessam A.ttf
>    Do you need to use this font in particular?  I do have problems with
> it too.  Replacing it with e. g. DejaVu Sans gives good results.
>
> 	Arthur

* Re: Arabic place names
@ 2021-04-11  9:21     ` Arthur Rosendahl
From: Arthur Rosendahl @ 2021-04-11  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 08:47:05AM +1000, jbf wrote:
> Thanks for that tip, Arthur. I, too, considered that it might be the font
> that was giving me problems (among other things, mainly my lack of
> understanding of r2l!), so I swapped to Amiri and then used the setup below
> which I then called in whenever needed -- it seems to work. But I will take
> a look at DejaVu Sans.

  That shouldn’t be necessary, I only took that one because it’s
mentioned on the wiki.  Glad it works for you.

	Best,

		Arthur