* log: use \thinspace instead of \,
@ 2021-06-28 23:08 Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2021-06-28 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

All,

Examining recent log files, I see the message

    suggestion      > use \thinspace instead of \,

When was this instituted?

What does it mean? Has \, been deprecated? For many years it was
recommended as a short form of \thinspace, and implementing the
replacement would certainly result in much less readable source.

--
Rik

* Re: log: use \thinspace instead of \,
@ 2021-06-29 10:34 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-06-29 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/29/2021 1:08 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> All,
>
> Examining recent log files, I see the message
>
>     suggestion      > use \thinspace instead of \,
>
> When was this instituted?

a while ago

> What does it mean? Has \, been deprecated? For many years it was
> recommended as a short form of \thinspace, and implementing the
> replacement would certainly result in much less readable source.
not depricated but these single character commands are somewhat weird (i
always forget what they mean, not that i ever use them; when many are
needed one can wonder if something else should be fixed instead)

(for instance in macro definitions i'd not use \, but the more verbose
\thinspace)

Hans

* Re: log: use \thinspace instead of \,
@ 2021-06-29 12:06   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2021-06-29 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 29.06.2021 um 12:34 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:
>
> On 6/29/2021 1:08 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
>> All,
>> Examining recent log files, I see the message
>>    suggestion      > use \thinspace instead of \,
>> When was this instituted?
>
> a while ago
>
>> What does it mean? Has \, been deprecated? For many years it was recommended as a short form of \thinspace, and implementing the replacement would certainly result in much less readable source.
> not depricated but these single character commands are somewhat weird (i always forget what they mean, not that i ever use them; when many are needed one can wonder if something else should be fixed instead)
>
> (for instance in macro definitions i'd not use \, but the more verbose \thinspace)

Maybe, but in running text I use \, all the time e.\,g. in abbreviations or for numbers (10\,000). At least in German typography these “spatiums” are necessary.

Hraban

* Re: log: use \thinspace instead of \,
@ 2021-06-29 15:40     ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2021-06-29 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 14:06:02 +0200
Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:

> Maybe, but in running text I use \, all the time e.\,g. in
> abbreviations or for numbers (10\,000). At least in German typography
> these “spatiums” are necessary.

In French typography as well.

Indeed,
American: 10,000.00
French:   10\,000,00
(and other languages).

This is quite readable, and much preferred to the use of any kind of
macro that might format numbers according to language.

I find that students often need such helpers when deciphering many
digits.

Alan

* Re: log: use \thinspace instead of \,
@ 2021-06-30 20:57       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2021-06-30 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Braslau schrieb am 29.06.2021 um 17:40:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 14:06:02 +0200
> Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
>
>> Maybe, but in running text I use \, all the time e.\,g. in
>> abbreviations or for numbers (10\,000). At least in German typography
>> these “spatiums” are necessary.
> In French typography as well.
>
> Indeed,
> American: 10,000.00
> French:   10\,000,00
> (and other languages).
>
> This is quite readable, and much preferred to the use of any kind of
> macro that might format numbers according to language.
>
> I find that students often need such helpers when deciphering many
> digits.

Let's not forget all of these spaces commands are used in math mode.

Wolfgang