From: Carlos via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Cc: Carlos <linguafalsa@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 05:11:52 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 10:01:55PM -0600, Alan Braslau via ntg-context wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2023 20:51:58 -0400 (EDT)
> Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> > Did you source the `setuptex` script, which sets the correct path.
>
> My PATH is set to
> PATH=./context/tex/texmf-freebsd-amd64/bin:/home/MyAccount/context/tex/texmf-freebsd-amd64/bin:...
>
> If my current working directory ("./") is a project that contains its
> very own subdirectory ./context/, then this is used to typeset the
> project. If not, it falls back on my own general standalone
> $HOME/context/, and if that does not exist, then it falls back on, say,
> a systemwide TeXlive installation.
>
> This is all that is needed to have many versions coexist.
>
> Alan

Hello Alan, my PATH is set to:

PATH=/home/ce/context-install/bin:/home/ce/context-install/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin:/opt/texlive/2023/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH; export PATH

because not by going by TeX Live infrastructure only, but rather
by standalone resolvers that's exactly what the additional steps to
install that very same  standalone required, a folder
texmf-linux-64/bin, which it's pretty much self-explanatory

And I already mentioned the above earlier

Again

Do we actually need to list all kpsea variable here ?? fine

Here are some of them, which are really irrelevant by the way, but just
adding info

$ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFROOT
/opt/texlive/2023
$ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFDIST
/opt/texlive/2023/texmf-dist
$ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL
/opt/texlive/texmf-local

Now let's take a peek inside the TeX Live infrastructure-only,  shall
we? (just for additional info as TeX Live is ocnsidered one of the
many scripts out there, right?  One is interested in the standalone in
the end)

LICENSE.CTAN       bin         install-tl.log       texmf-config  texmfcnf.lua
LICENSE.TL         doc.html    readme-html.dir      texmf-dist    tlpkg
README             index.html  readme-txt.dir       texmf-var
README.usergroups  install-tl  release-texlive.txt  texmf.cnf

that texmfcnf.lua only holds

return {
  content = {
    variables = {
    },
  },
}

which is useless

so, no bueno. Not when the aim is to install a fully functional context
standalone

Now let's take a peek instide and see the binaries

afm2tfm      etex          kpsereadlink     mf        mtxrun.lua  texluac
bibtex       extractbb     kpsestat         mf-nowin  pdfetex     tlmgr
context      fmtutil       kpsewhich        mft       pdflatex    tlshell
context.lua  fmtutil-sys   latex            mkindex   pdftex      updmap
dvilualatex  fmtutil-user  luahbtex         mktexfmt  pktogf      updmap-sys
dviluatex    gftodvi       lualatex         mktexlsr  pktype      updmap-user
dvipdfm      gftopk        luametatex       mktexmf   rungs       xdvi
dvipdfmx     gftype        luaotfload-tool  mktexpk   simpdftex   xdvi-xaw
dvipdft      inimf         luatex           mktextfm  tex         xdvipdfmx
dvips        initex        makeindex        mptopdf   texhash
ebb          kpseaccess    man              mtxrun    texlua

Do you see that context and context.lua out there, right? That's
only after running tlmgr and installing it, so no bueno, because in
the meantime there's no texmfcnf.lua around

Then again, remember in the current state I actually don't have
texmfcnf.lua for the simple reason that first-setup.sh never provided
it, correct?

So, wwith that in mind and in place, even that context binary from TeX
Live infrastructure as shown before is a known fact that texmfcnf.lua
is nowhere to be found

So let me see if I can copy one from an otherwise fully functional TeX Live
with almost 5g of space taken over and copy it over to this TeX Live infrastrcutre so
everything checks out in the end

What happens then is not really surprising

If I were to copy over a copy that I found elsewhere over to web2c
of the TeX Live-infrastructure-only installation,  this is what happens:

$ context --generate --luatex
mtxrun          | unknown script 'mtx-context.lua' or 'mtx-mtx-context.lua'

Here we go! Back to point A where we were at before

> P.S. It can be a good practice to keep a ConTeXt standalone version
> associated with each project, which can be "frozen" with the project,
> assuring that the sources can always be typeset in the future "as is".
>
> P.P.S. This per-project ./context/ subdirectory can include multiple
> tex/texmf-system-architecture subdirectories and the project shared
> between different machines, all in happy coexistence. (Hans told me a
> while ago that they all use unique luametatex caches.)

If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing comes out but tomfoolery.
But this tomfoolery, having passed through a very expensive machine,
is somehow enobled and no-one dare criticise it.
		-- Pierre Gallois