I'm not understanding in a much much larger document how I sold this, as I've tired placing \dontleavehmode in different places, but no success. On Wednesday, March 13, 2024 at 04:46:54 PM MDT, Wolfgang Schuster wrote: Joel via ntg-context schrieb am 13.03.2024 um 23:27: > After many hours of trial-and-error, I was able to recreate the problem > in a minimum working example: > > file main.tex only contains: > > \starttext > >      \index{birds} >      \index{insects} > >      \input secondary > >      \placeindex > > \stoptext > > file secondary.tex only contains: > > >     \index{turtles} > > For reasons I can't understand, the index produces the same [entry not > flushed] error. It seems here happening when contents are input. The message appears even without the external file. > My code is so simple, I can't understand what I've typed wrong. Indices need an anchor to be flushed. When you put \index entries between environments the next anchor appears at the start of a new paragraph (I used \dontleavehmode for this in the following example). \starttext \index{birds} \index{insects} \index{turtles} \dontleavehmode % comment this line for [entry not flushed] \placeindex \stoptext Wolfgang