* font-switching oddities
@ 2005-10-25 13:50 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-10-25 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with bodyfont switching. It involves two
fonts that I adapted myself, so it's difficult to make a minimal
example. Both fonts are defined in typescripts (these are just
examples, it works the same for every typescript I tried).

First one is Adobe Caslon:

\usetypescriptfile[type-buy]

\starttypescript [serif] [caslon] [texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Roman]          [texnansi-KERN-LIGA-
DLIG-ONUM-ACaslonPro-Regularnoct]  [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Bold]           [texnansi-KERN-LIGA-
DLIG-ONUM-ACaslonPro-Boldnoct]  [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Italic]         [texnansi-KERN-LIGA-
DLIG-ONUM-ACaslonPro-Italicnoct]  [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Bold-Italic]    [texnansi-KERN-LIGA-
DLIG-ONUM-ACaslonPro-BoldItalicnoct] [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Roman-SmallCaps][texnansi-KERN-SMCP-
LNUM-ACaslonPro-Regular]  [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Roman-OSF]      [texnansi-KERN-SMCP-
LNUM-ACaslonPro-Regular]   [encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [caslon] [name]
   \usetypescript[serif][fallback]
   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Caslon-Roman]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Caslon-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Caslon-Bold]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Caslon-Bold-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]       [Caslon-Roman-SmallCaps]
   \definefontsynonym [OldStyle]        [Caslon-Roman-OSF]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [Caslon]
   \definetypeface [MyCaslon] [rm] [serif] [caslon] [default]
[encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

Second one is one of my Greek fonts (doesn't matter which one):

\starttypescript [serif] [greekgentium] [agr]
   \definefontsynonym [Greekgentium-Roman] [genagr-GentiumAlt]
[encoding=agr]
   \definefontsynonym [Greekgentium-Italic][genagr-GentiumAItI]
[encoding=agr]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [greekgentium] [name]
   \usetypescript[serif][fallback]
   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Greekgentium-Roman]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Greekgentium-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Serif]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Serif]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript[GreekGentium]
     \definetypeface [MyGreekGentium] [rm] [serif] [greekgentium]
[default] [rscale=\getvariable{Greek}{scale},encoding=agr]
\stoptypescript

The fonts are used thus:

\setupbodyfont[MyCaslon,12pt]

\switchtobodyfont[MyGreekGentium]

Switching works when I set the bodyfont size to 9,10,11,12pt, but not
if it is set to any other value. In that case, I get these messages
in the log file

Missing character: There is no a in font nullfont!
Missing character: There is no > in font nullfont!
Missing character: There is no u in font nullfont!
Missing character: There is no t in font nullfont!
Missing character: There is no o in font nullfont!
etc.

I must be missing something obvious about typefiles, but can't see
what? Any help will be appreciated.

All best

Thomas