From: jbf <roma83537@gmail.com>
Subject: [NTG-context] streams reversed?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 16:47:56 +1000	[thread overview]

I am making some progress with a bilingual text using the streams
mechanism suggested by Wolfgang: https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns,
but see below.

The aim has been to have en and vi on facing pages (en left, vi right).

It works correctly for the Foreword in two languages (en, vi) in
frontmatter.

When I come to bodymatter and Chapter 1, again it works, except that the
positions of the languages are reversed, so I end up with vi on the left
and en on the right. By Chapter 2 we are back to the correct position
once more (en left and vi right).

I want to know why this is happening, and if I can prevent it happening.

I am using the code you can see below, except that instead of
\startoutputstream[one] and \startoutputstream[two] etc.  I am using
[en-front][vi-front], and then in bodymatter [en-chap1][vi-chap1] etc.
etc. with the relevant repetitions of these identifiers where needed. I
assume that to get a degree of synchronization I need to use this
approach for each set of chapters. But I cannot understand why the
languages alternate their starting page positions each chapter.

There are other issues I have to solve, but first of all I wish to
resolve this one.

Julian

The original (Wolfgang) code is as follows:

\starttext

\startoutputstream[one]
    \startcolor[red]
    \dorecurse{10}{\input  knuth\par}
    \stopcolor
\stopoutputstream

\startoutputstream[two]
    \startcolor[green]
    \dorecurse{10}{\input  zapf\par}
    \stopcolor
\stopoutputstream

\synchronizestreams[one,two]

\setbox\scratchboxone\outputstreambox[one]
\setbox\scratchboxtwo\outputstreambox[two]

\doloop
  {\ifvoid\scratchboxone
     \exitloop
   \else
     \setbox\scratchboxfour\vsplit\scratchboxone  to\textheight
     \vbox  to\vsize{\box\scratchboxfour\vss}%
     \setbox\scratchboxfive\vsplit\scratchboxtwo  to\textheight
     \vbox  to\vsize{\box\scratchboxfive\vss}%
   \fi}

\stoptext