From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
To: Denis Maier <maier.de@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: XML roundtripping
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 09:40:33 +0200	[thread overview]

On 5/15/2019 10:31 PM, Denis Maier wrote:

> Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl <mailto:j.hagen@xs4all.nl>> schrieb am
> Mi., 15. Mai 2019, 18:32:
>
>     On 5/15/2019 4:35 PM, Denis Maier wrote:
>      > Our workflow is not settled yet; we're still discussing options. All
>      > depends upon what is possible ...
>      >
>      > That being said, for the purpose of displaying the articles
>     online we'll
>      > need every article in a separate XML file. The question is if and
>     how we
>      > will produce a PDF version containing a whole volume (we'll probably
>      > need one PDF for the whole volume and also PDFs for each article).
>      >
>      > One option would be:
>      > - merge the articles into a single XML,
>      > - typeset from there
>      > - split the PDF
>      > (Hence my question here,
>      > https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2019/095011.html).
>
>     you can create a master xml file with includes and process the lots in
>     one go ... this is quite convenient when you assemble for instance
>     books
>     from chapters that are split into sections ... you can make a xml file
>     per chapter that includes the sections and then a book file that loads
>     them all ... files can have a processing instruction telling what styel
>     to load and you can run individual files or assemblies ... all the
>     stuff
>     needed to do that is there (and probably also documented someplace)
>

> Ok. Sounds good. How can I call the style in the xml files? I know that
> I can process a file with \xmlprocessfile or call it from the command
> line with --env=, and in a normal tex-file I could obviously use
> \environment for this,  but how does this work with xml?

<?context-directive job ctxfile somefile.ctx?>

with "somefile.ctx" being:

<?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes'?>

<ctx:job>
     <ctx:message>My very special style</ctx:message>
     <ctx:process>
         <ctx:flags>
             <!-- ctx:flag>purge</ctx:flag -->
         </ctx:flags>
         <ctx:resources>
             <ctx:environment>whatever.tex</ctx:environment>
         </ctx:resources>
     </ctx:process>
</ctx:job>