* Axis macro in MetaFun
@ 2021-09-11 14:27 kauśika cittūr via ntg-context
From: kauśika cittūr via ntg-context @ 2021-09-11 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: kauśika cittūr

Dear All,

I am truly grateful for the new additions to MetaFun. It has greatly helped me
in producing neat drawings for my academic work. In this connection, I have a
few queries.

Currently I am using PGFPlots (with ConTeXt) to draw simple plots from CSV
data. I was wondering if there is any way to do the same in MetaFuns. That is,
is it possible to do something like the following in order to obtain a line
plot of the values in the 'data.csv' file? Also is it possible to have the
'labels' be the identical for all points in a given list?

\startMPcode
  draw lmt_axis [
      sx = 2mm, sy = 2mm,
      nx = 80, ny = 40,
      tx = 15, ty = 15,

      list = {
            [
                  connect = true,
                  color = "darkblue",
                  close = true,
                  points = {data.csv},
                  labels = {"•"},
            ]
      },
  ] withpen pencircle scaled 0.5mm;
\stopMPcode

My final query: is it possible to specify a co-ordinate transform for any/all
of the axes? For instance in my work, I would like to plot the y-axis in the
log-scale.

Thanks,
kauśika

* Re: Axis macro in MetaFun
@ 2021-09-11 16:19 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-09-11 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/11/2021 4:27 PM, kauśika cittūr via ntg-context wrote:

> My final query: is it possible to specify a co-ordinate transform for any/all
> of the axes? For instance in my work, I would like to plot the y-axis in the
> log-scale.
Alan is working on that when he is in distraction mode ... we have done
some preparations already.

Hans

* Re: Axis macro in MetaFun
@ 2021-09-11 17:00 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-09-11 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/11/2021 4:27 PM, kauśika cittūr via ntg-context wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am truly grateful for the new additions to MetaFun. It has greatly helped me
> in producing neat drawings for my academic work. In this connection, I have a
> few queries.
>
> Currently I am using PGFPlots (with ConTeXt) to draw simple plots from CSV
> data. I was wondering if there is any way to do the same in MetaFuns. That is,
> is it possible to do something like the following in order to obtain a line
> plot of the values in the 'data.csv' file? Also is it possible to have the
> 'labels' be the identical for all points in a given list?
>
> \startMPcode
>    draw lmt_axis [
>        sx = 2mm, sy = 2mm,
>        nx = 80, ny = 40,
>        tx = 15, ty = 15,
>
>        list = {
>              [
>                    connect = true,
>                    color = "darkblue",
>                    close = true,
>                    points = {data.csv},
>                    labels = {"•"},
>              ]
>        },
>    ] withpen pencircle scaled 0.5mm;
> \stopMPcode

It depends on how one has data in the csv, You can patch mlib-scn.lmt
(line 659)

     if type(v) == "table" then
         return injectpath(v,connector,close)
     elseif type(v) == "string" then
         local code = load("return " .. v)
         if code then
             return code()
         end
     else
         return injectpair(0,0)
     end

then a string represents a function:

\starttext

\startluacode
     io.savedata("temp.csv", "x,y\n10,10\n20,40\n30,30\n")

     local mycsvsplitter = utilities.parsers.rfc4180splitter()

     function MP.MyPoints(name)
         local data = io.loaddata(name)
         local list = mycsvsplitter(data)
         table.remove(list,1)
         for i=1,#list do
             list[i][1] = tonumber(list[i][1])
             list[i][2] = tonumber(list[i][2])
         end
         mp.inject.path(list)
     end

\stopluacode

\startMPcode
   draw lmt_axis [
       sx = 2mm, sy = 2mm,
       nx = 80, ny = 40,
       tx = 15, ty = 15,

       list = {
             [
                   connect = true,
                   color = "darkblue",
                   close = true,
                   points = "MP.MyPoints('temp.csv')",
                   labels = {"•"},
             ]
       },
   ] withpen pencircle scaled 0.5mm;
\stopMPcode

\stoptext

we can of course have some predefined and when we can agree on how these
files loo, adding a "csv" is no big deal ... it's all about consistent
interfacing

* Re: Axis macro in MetaFun
@ 2021-09-12  2:07   ` kauśika cittūr via ntg-context
From: kauśika cittūr via ntg-context @ 2021-09-12  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, September 11, 2021 10:30:25 PM IST Hans Hagen wrote:
> [...]
>          mp.inject.path(list)
>      end
>
> \stopluacode
>
> \startMPcode
>    draw lmt_axis [
>        sx = 2mm, sy = 2mm,
>        nx = 80, ny = 40,
>        tx = 15, ty = 15,
>
>        list = {
>              [
>                    connect = true,
>                    color = "darkblue",
>                    close = true,
>                    points = "MP.MyPoints('temp.csv')",
>                    labels = {"•"},
>              ]
>        },
>    ] withpen pencircle scaled 0.5mm;
> \stopMPcode
>
> \stoptext
>
> we can of course have some predefined and when we can agree on how these
> files loo, adding a "csv" is no big deal ... it's all about consistent

Dear Hans,

Many thanks for your detailed guidance. I think for now this patch should
suffice for my simple needs.

Best,
kauśika