* How to define a font with an effect as a font with \definefont
@ 2020-05-23  9:52 Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2020-05-23  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wityh this working example:

\starttext
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog

\definefontfeature
[effect-widen]
  [effect={width=.2,delta=0.3}]
\definedfont[Sans*widen,effect-widen]
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog

\stoptext

I am puzzling to turn my working \definedfont into a \definefont so I can use that instead.

Actually, my setup is Optima with Helvetica used for Cyrillic:

\definefallbackfamily
  [archimate]
  [ss]
  [Helvetica]
  [preset=range:cyrillic,
   tf=style:light,
   it=style:lightoblique,
   bf=style:regular,
   bi=style:oblique,
   force=yes,
   rscale=1.0]
\definefontfamily [archimate] [ss] [Optima]
\setupbodyfont[archimate]

And I would like the effect to work on just the Optima font (which is a bit light for this use)

I’ve been trying to work out using \definefont with the effect but have so far failed.

Thanks,

* Re: How to define a font with an effect as a font with \definefont
@ 2020-05-23 18:02 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-05-23 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/23/20 11:52 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
> []
> Actually, my setup is Optima with Helvetica used for Cyrillic:
>
> \definefallbackfamily
>   [archimate]
>   [ss]
>   [Helvetica]
>   [preset=range:cyrillic,
>    tf=style:light,
>    it=style:lightoblique,
>    bf=style:regular,
>    bi=style:oblique,
>    force=yes,
>    rscale=1.0]
> \definefontfamily [archimate] [ss] [Optima]
> \setupbodyfont[archimate]
>
> And I would like the effect to work on just the Optima font (which is a
> bit light for this use)

Hi Gerben,

this code may work for you:

    \definefontfeature
      [effect-widen]
      [effect={width=.2,delta=0.3}]
    \definefallbackfamily
      [archimate]
      [ss]
      [Helvetica]
      [preset=range:cyrillic,
       tf=style:light,
       it=style:lightoblique,
       bf=style:regular,
       bi=style:oblique,
       force=yes,
       features={effect-widen}]
    \definefontfamily
        [archimate]
        [ss]
        [Optima]
        [features={effect-widen}]
    \setupbodyfont[archimate]

    \starttext
      \doloopoverlist{\tf, \it, \bf, \bi}{
        \recursestring\hyphenatedword{Николаевич typography}\par}
    \stoptext

BTW, rscale is set to 1.0 by default (as far as I can tell).

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: How to define a font with an effect as a font with \definefont
@ 2020-05-23 18:06   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-05-23 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pablo Rodriguez schrieb am 23.05.2020 um 20:02:
> On 5/23/20 11:52 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>> []
>> Actually, my setup is Optima with Helvetica used for Cyrillic:
>>
>> \definefallbackfamily
>>    [archimate]
>>    [ss]
>>    [Helvetica]
>>    [preset=range:cyrillic,
>>     tf=style:light,
>>     it=style:lightoblique,
>>     bf=style:regular,
>>     bi=style:oblique,
>>     force=yes,
>>     rscale=1.0]
>> \definefontfamily [archimate] [ss] [Optima]
>> \setupbodyfont[archimate]
>>
>> And I would like the effect to work on just the Optima font (which is a
>> bit light for this use)
>
> Hi Gerben,
>
> this code may work for you:

Don't forget to apply the "default" features to get ligatures and kerning.

>      \definefontfeature
>        [effect-widen]
>        [effect={width=.2,delta=0.3}]
>      \definefallbackfamily
>        [archimate]
>        [ss]
>        [Helvetica]
>        [preset=range:cyrillic,
>         tf=style:light,
>         it=style:lightoblique,
>         bf=style:regular,
>         bi=style:oblique,
>         force=yes,
>         features={effect-widen}]

features={default,effect-widen}]

>      \definefontfamily
>          [archimate]
>          [ss]
>          [Optima]
>          [features={effect-widen}]

features={default,effect-widen}]

Wolfgang

* Re: How to define a font with an effect as a font with \definefont
@ 2020-05-23 18:12     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-05-23 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Pablo Rodriguez schrieb am 23.05.2020 um 20:02:
>> On 5/23/20 11:52 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>>> []
>>> Actually, my setup is Optima with Helvetica used for Cyrillic:
>>>
>>> \definefallbackfamily
>>>    [archimate]
>>>    [ss]
>>>    [Helvetica]
>>>    [preset=range:cyrillic,
>>>     tf=style:light,
>>>     it=style:lightoblique,
>>>     bf=style:regular,
>>>     bi=style:oblique,
>>>     force=yes,
>>>     rscale=1.0]
>>> \definefontfamily [archimate] [ss] [Optima]
>>> \setupbodyfont[archimate]
>>>
>>> And I would like the effect to work on just the Optima font (which is a
>>> bit light for this use)
>>
>> Hi Gerben,
>>
>> this code may work for you:
>
> Don't forget to apply the "default" features to get ligatures and kerning.

Many thanks for the correction, Wolfgang.

I forgot to add the default features after correcting another typo in
the code.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo

--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: How to define a font with an effect as a font with \definefont
@ 2020-05-23 19:50     ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2020-05-23 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 23 May 2020, at 20:06, Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Pablo Rodriguez schrieb am 23.05.2020 um 20:02:
>> On 5/23/20 11:52 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>>> []
>>> Actually, my setup is Optima with Helvetica used for Cyrillic:
>>>
>>> \definefallbackfamily
>>>   [archimate]
>>>   [ss]
>>>   [Helvetica]
>>>   [preset=range:cyrillic,
>>>    tf=style:light,
>>>    it=style:lightoblique,
>>>    bf=style:regular,
>>>    bi=style:oblique,
>>>    force=yes,
>>>    rscale=1.0]
>>> \definefontfamily [archimate] [ss] [Optima]
>>> \setupbodyfont[archimate]
>>>
>>> And I would like the effect to work on just the Optima font (which is a
>>> bit light for this use)
>> Hi Gerben,
>> this code may work for you:
>
> Don't forget to apply the "default" features to get ligatures and kerning.
>
>>     \definefontfeature
>>       [effect-widen]
>>       [effect={width=.2,delta=0.3}]
>>     \definefallbackfamily
>>       [archimate]
>>       [ss]
>>       [Helvetica]
>>       [preset=range:cyrillic,
>>        tf=style:light,
>>        it=style:lightoblique,
>>        bf=style:regular,
>>        bi=style:oblique,
>>        force=yes,
>>        features={effect-widen}]
>
> features={default,effect-widen}]
>
>>     \definefontfamily
>>         [archimate]
>>         [ss]
>>         [Optima]
>>         [features={effect-widen}]
>
> features={default,effect-widen}]

Does this apply the effect only to Latin characters in Optima and not to Cyrcillic characters in Helvetica? I am trying to understand the syntax and if I read this it seems to get applied to cyrillic in this case.

@ 2020-05-23 20:48       ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2020-05-23 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/23/2020 15:50, Gerben Wierda wrote:

>> On 23 May 2020, at 20:06, Wolfgang Schuster
>> <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com
>> <mailto:wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Pablo Rodriguez schrieb am 23.05.2020 um 20:02:

>>> Hi Gerben,
>>> this code may work for you:
>>
>> Don't forget to apply the "default" features to get ligatures and
>> kerning.
>>
>>>     \definefontfeature
>>>       [effect-widen]
>>>       [effect={width=.2,delta=0.3}]
>>>     \definefallbackfamily
>>>       [archimate]
>>>       [ss]
>>>       [Helvetica]
>>>       [preset=range:cyrillic,
>>>        tf=style:light,
>>>        it=style:lightoblique,
>>>        bf=style:regular,
>>>        bi=style:oblique,
>>>        force=yes,
>>>        features={effect-widen}]
>>
>> features={default,effect-widen}]
>>
>>>     \definefontfamily
>>>         [archimate]
>>>         [ss]
>>>         [Optima]
>>>         [features={effect-widen}]
>>
>> features={default,effect-widen}]
>
> Does this apply the effect only to Latin characters in Optima and not
> to Cyrcillic characters in Helvetica? I am trying to understand the
> syntax and if I read this it seems to get applied to cyrillic in this
> case.

>> Wolfgang

Well, you could try it. With one small correction (line 10 here), and
effects exaggerated for demonstrations, it works just fine:

    \definefontfeature
       [effect-widen]
       [effect={width=4.2,delta=0.3}]
    \definefallbackfamily
       [archimate]
       [ss]
       [Calibri]
       [preset=range:cyrillic,
        force=yes,
        features=default]
    \definefontfamily`
         [archimate]
         [ss]
         [Calibri]
         [features={default,effect-widen}]
    \setupbodyfont[archimate]

    \starttext
       \doloopoverlist{\tf, \it, \bf, \bi}{
         \recursestring{{\russian\hyphenatedword{Николаевич}\
    \hyphenatedword{typography}}}\par}
    \stoptext

Gives:

(I don't have your fonts, but this illustrates more clearly the
difference in handling for the two family definitions.)

--
Rik

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 14918 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: iiiccefdapobfabl.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 36762 bytes --]

* Re: How to define a font with an effect as a font with \definefont
@ 2020-05-23 22:37       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-05-23 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/23/20 9:50 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>  [...]
>>>     \definefontfeature
>>>       [effect-widen]
>>>       [effect={width=.2,delta=0.3}]
>>>
>>>     \definefallbackfamily
>>>       [archimate]
>>>       [ss]
>>>       [Helvetica]
>>>       [preset=range:cyrillic,
>>>        tf=style:light,
>>>        it=style:lightoblique,
>>>        bf=style:regular,
>>>        bi=style:oblique,
>>>        force=yes,
>>>        features={default,effect-widen}]
>>>
>>>     \definefontfamily
>>>         [archimate]
>>>         [ss]
>>>         [Optima]
>>>         [features={default,effect-widen}]
>
> Does this apply the effect only to Latin characters in Optima and not to
> Cyrcillic characters in Helvetica? I am trying to understand the syntax
> and if I read this it seems to get applied to cyrillic in this case.

Sorry, Gerben, it was only an example to show that you could apply the
feature to any font or fallback family.

If you remove "features={default, effect-widen}" from
"\definefallbackfamily", the effect won’t be applied to Helvetica.

I hope it is clear now,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk