* Question on "back" key in \blank
@ 2017-02-25 18:04 josephcanedo
From: josephcanedo @ 2017-02-25 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear list,

Sorry if question is trivial but I’d like to use « back » key in \blank to discard a \blank just before. The following MWE illustrates :

\starttext

Title.
\blank[none]
\blank[back, -line] %% I’d expect this one to discard the \blank[none] (as if it was not present)
\startalignment[broad, flushright, hanging]Right.\stopalignment

\stoptext

I’d expect that Title and Right words to be on the same line, but they are not. Did I misunderstood the meaning of ‘back’ key ?
Thanks a lot for help and time,

Best regards

Joseph Canedo

* Re: Question on "back" key in \blank
@ 2017-02-25 20:53 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-02-25 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/25/2017 7:04 PM, josephcanedo@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> Sorry if question is trivial but I’d like to use « back » key in \blank
> to discard a \blank just before. The following MWE illustrates :

it goes back when there's something to go back

there is also \blank[disable] to disable the next one

@ 2017-02-26 13:09   ` josephcanedo
From: josephcanedo @ 2017-02-26 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen, ntg-context

Thanks Hans for having replied.

My message was a bit confusing, sorry about that. I think the problem is that ‘back’ (or \blank generally) does not seem to work the same with negative blank as it does with positive blank. The following :

\showgrid\setuplayout[grid=both]
\starttext
Title.
\blank[2*line]\blank[back]\blank[line]
Line.
\stoptext

Outputs 1 blank line between Title and Line, so that \blank[2*line] is effectively ignored, as expected. But

\showgrid\setuplayout[grid=both]
\starttext
Title.
\blank[2*line]\blank[back]\blank[-line]
Line.
\stoptext

Outputs Title and Line in 2 consecutive lines (instead of being on same line). So \blank[2*lines] is effectively ignored as expected but the \blank[-line] is also ignored too. Is the latter expected or not ?

Thanks again,
Best regards

Joseph

De : Hans Hagen
Envoyé le :samedi 25 février 2017 21:53
À : ntg-context@ntg.nl
Objet :Re: [NTG-context] Question on "back" key in \blank

@ 2017-02-26 21:34     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-02-26 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: josephcanedo, ntg-context

On 2/26/2017 2:09 PM, josephcanedo@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks Hans for having replied.
>

> My message was a bit confusing, sorry about that. I think the problem is
> that ‘back’ (or \blank generally) does not seem to work the same with
> negative blank as it does with positive blank. The following :
>

> \showgrid\setuplayout[grid=both]
>
> \starttext
>
> Title.
>
> \blank[2*line]\blank[back]\blank[line]
>
> Line.
>
> \stoptext
>

> Outputs 1 blank line between Title and Line, so that \blank[2*line] is
> effectively ignored, as expected. But
>

> \showgrid\setuplayout[grid=both]
>
> \starttext
>
> Title.
>
> \blank[2*line]\blank[back]\blank[-line]
>
> Line.
>
> \stoptext
>

> Outputs Title and Line in 2 consecutive lines (instead of being on same
> line). So \blank[2*lines] is effectively ignored as expected but the
> \blank[-line] is also ignored too. Is the latter expected or not ?

you can't go back over non spacing but you can do this:

\blank[overlay] \strut Line.