From: gnwiii@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Problem with ConTeXt installation
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:16:21 -0300	[thread overview]

On 10/1/06, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/29/06, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> > Steve Peter wrote:
> > > There is now a MikTeX package manager for Linux.
> >
> > And it is best not to use it since it ships a context that
> > believes it is running on windows...

ConTeXt should adjust to the differences (see ruby/tex.rb), but
someone may need to
search out the bugs and report them.

> But then it has to be fixed, not thrown away ... I bet that the main
> reason is one of the many "if (MikTeX)" switches in the source code
> assuming that MikTeX is running on windows. Are there any MikTeX/Lunux
> users around? (I work on windows 99% of time, but if I manage to
> install MikTeX on the linux partition, I'll give it a try.)
>
> The other thing is: I have no idea how the executables are created. I
> sent quite a few requests, so that now finally the ruby scripts are
> used instead of the old perl-based ones. But I don't have the
> slightest idea how they work under Linux.

I have ConTeXt under MikTeX and also on Fedora Core 5 both using the
Aug. 8 release from a separate texmf-cont tree, so I didn't install
the MikTeX version at all (I did steal
texmfstart.exe from W32tex).

There were some problems in the MikTeX-2.5 betas due to different
command-line switches in linux (and W32TeX) versions of pdftex, but I
thought that had been fixed in the
final version.  There are some system specific flags set in
base/tex.rb to deal with any lingering differences, so if there are
problems I'd compare the options for pdftex and see if they are
reflected in tex.rb.

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia