* typesetting in Cyrillic with Times
@ 2006-12-17  1:19 Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2006-12-17  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

How can I typeset in Cyrillic while using the Adobe Times or Utopia fonts? I don't believe that they contain no cyrillic glyphs. It is very disappointing to be limited to weird-looking computer modern.

(I work with MikTeX).

Thanks

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: typesetting in Cyrillic with Times
@ 2006-12-17 16:54 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-12-17 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How can I typeset in Cyrillic while using the Adobe Times or Utopia fonts? I don't believe that they contain no cyrillic glyphs. It is very disappointing to be limited to weird-looking computer modern.
>
> (I work with MikTeX).

there are some polish fonts (iwona, antikwa) that have cyrillic

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-12-17 17:51 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2006-12-17 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:19:00 -0700, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
<yatskovsky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How can I typeset in Cyrillic while using the Adobe Times or Utopia
> fonts? I don't believe that they contain no cyrillic glyphs. It is very
> disappointing to be limited to weird-looking computer modern.
>
> (I work with MikTeX).

Depending on your needs and how adventurous you are, Aleph might help as a
temporary fix. The omlgc font is Times-based and so might look better for
your tastes. See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Aleph_Guide for install
details and setting up your own \start-\stop environments

Unfortunately Aleph is based on an old version of e-TeX and so some
ConTeXt features might not work well. In a few months you may be able to
use luaTeX with omlgc with proper access to all ConTeXt features.

For working with Aleph in ConTeXt see the wiki entries. Here is a working
cyrillic file with three different encodings: utf-8, Win1251, and koi8-r.

Again, a bit adventurous, but hopefully some of the people on the list may
benefit.

Good luck
Idris

=============omlgc-cyrillic.tex============
% tex=aleph output=dvipdfmx
\input m-gamma.tex
\input type-omg.tex

%input
\definefiltersynonym [Uni]          [inutf8]
\definefiltersynonym [Win]          [incp1251]
\definefiltersynonym [Koi]          [inkoi8]
\definefiltersynonym [LaUniToFont]  [uni2lat]

\definefiltersequence
   [LatinUni]
   [Uni,LaUniToFont]
\definefiltersequence
   [LatinWin]
   [Win,LaUniToFont]
\definefiltersequence
   [LatinKoi]
   [Koi,LaUniToFont]

\setupbodyfont[omlgc,12pt]

\starttext%

\start

\usefiltersequence[LatinUni]

Каландаров, Тохир Сафарбекович

\stop

\start

\usefiltersequence[LatinWin]

Êàëàíäàðîâ, Òîõèð Ñàôàðáåêîâè÷

\stop

\start

\usefiltersequence[LatinKoi]

ëÁÌÁÎÄÁÒÏ×,šôÏÈÉÒ óÁÆÁÒÂÅËÏ×ÉÞ

\stop

\stoptext

Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: typesetting in Cyrillic with Times
@ 2006-12-17 23:59 ` gnwiii
From: gnwiii @ 2006-12-17 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/16/06, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky <yatskovsky@gmail.com> wrote:

> How can I typeset in Cyrillic while using the Adobe Times or Utopia fonts? I
> don't believe that they contain no cyrillic glyphs. It is very disappointing
> to be limited to weird-looking computer modern.

"I don't believe that they contain no cyrillic glyphs." can be taken as:

1.  I do believe they contain some cyrillic glyphs, or
2.  I believe they contain no cyrillic glyphs.

In fact, while statement 2. may be true for the origial Adobe fonts,
many systems can produce Cyrillic glyphs when asked for "Times"
(because they substitute an augmented version of a free URW font), so
statement 1 may also be close to the truth.

> (I work with MikTeX).

I don't know about Utopia, but for the "LaserWriter 35" fonts, most
free software actually uses URW fonts that have been scaled so the
metrics match the real Adobe fonts.   As well, many additional glyphs
have been added to the URW fonts used, e.g., for linux distros that
want to support more languages.   A modern TeX system should be able
to typeset Cyrillic with the URW font that resembles Adobe Times (and
may even call this "Times"). CTAN, however, has the original URW fonts
(lacking the added glyphs commonly found on linux), so this route
probably isn't widely used.  It should also be possible, even
straightforward, to install the fonts and supporting files from linux
to a local texmf tree for use with MikTeX.

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

* Re: typesetting in Cyrillic with Times
@ 2006-12-19  9:36 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-12-19  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ok, now I've started playing with Cyrillic fonts seriously.
>
> 1. Antiqua-torunska is really Cyrillic but its typeface far from Times Roman.
>
> \usetypescript[antykwa-torunska][t2a]
> \definetypeface[antw][rm][serif][antykwa-torunska][default][rscale=1,encoding=t2a]
> \setupbodyfont[antw,12pt]
>
> Unfortunatelly, it seems that it is only t2a-ready typescript. Using the same trick with iwona fails. Looking through type-enc I found that corresponding typescript misses t2a encoding. Why?

just send me what is needed
> 2. Did anyone consider the following font package?
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/urw-fonts-cyrillic

I just got an update fo the gyre project:

More details and the fonts itself are at the projects page
http://www.gust.org.pl/e-foundry/tex-gyre/.

At the download page, a separate OTF zip bundle is provided for each
font and fonts history was started.

-- Schola (QCS) is here, at the pre-release version of 0.995
-- Pagella (QPL) moved  from ver. 1.000 to ver. 1.010,
-- Termes (QTM) moved from ver. 1.000 to ver. 1.010,
-- Bonum (QBK), moved from ver. 0.995 to ver. 1.000.

although this is currently in its first stage (merge existing fonts) pagella has cyrilic but not that nice

The authors are quite open for comments so ..

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-12-19  0:17 Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2006-12-19  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Ok, now I've started playing with Cyrillic fonts seriously.

1. Antiqua-torunska is really Cyrillic but its typeface far from Times Roman.

\usetypescript[antykwa-torunska][t2a]
\definetypeface[antw][rm][serif][antykwa-torunska][default][rscale=1,encoding=t2a]
\setupbodyfont[antw,12pt]

Unfortunatelly, it seems that it is only t2a-ready typescript. Using the same trick with iwona fails. Looking through type-enc I found that corresponding typescript misses t2a encoding. Why?

2. Did anyone consider the following font package?
http://freshmeat.net/projects/urw-fonts-cyrillic

--
With best regards,
 Vyatcheslav                          mailto:yatskovsky@gmail.com

* Re: typesetting in Cyrillic with Times
@ 2006-12-19  0:10 Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2006-12-19  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)