* acroread and reload a PDF
@ 2008-04-22 14:20 Suno Ano
From: Suno Ano @ 2008-04-22 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I am on DebianGNU/Linux using acroread. Anytime I make a change to some
Context source and compile it into PDF I want to view the result i.e.
reload the already opened PDF. Same as with Firefox/Iceweasel and some
HTML page I work on i.e. hitting C-R reloads the page for viewing.

With xpdf I just hit R and the file (which changed on the disk) gets
reloaded. Am I right that acroread lacks a reload feature? Reopening a
document anytime it changed totally sucks ...

* Re: acroread and reload a PDF
@ 2008-04-22 14:31 ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-04-22 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

see Taco's pdf instruction
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/xpdfopen/xpdfopen.pdf while
waitting for J. Kew's TeXWorks program:)

@ 2008-04-22 17:46   ` Suno Ano
From: Suno Ano @ 2008-04-22 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

 >| On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:31:06 +0800,
 >| Yue Wang
 >| who can be reached at: yuleopen@gmail.com
 >| (whose comments are cited below with " Yue> "),
 >| had this to say in article <68bfdc900804220731s325aed7cu473c27fcabc84601@mail.gmail.com>
 >| in newsgroups gmane.comp.tex.context
 >| concerning the subject of Re: acroread and reload a PDF
 >| (see <871w4yhsxo.fsf@googlemail.com> for more details)

 Yue> See Taco's pdf instruction
 Yue> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/xpdfopen/xpdfopen.pdf
 Yue> while waitting for J. Kew's TeXWorks program:)
I see. Well, I figured I am going to use another (out-of-the-box)
alternative which I am quite fond of already after just using it for an
hour or so.

Evaluating the following form (i.e. hitting C-x C-e with point behind
it) (Info-goto-node "(auctex) Viewing") brings one right to the AucTeX
GNU Info manual. In short:

,----[ C-h k C-c C-v ]
| C-c C-v runs the command TeX-view, which is an interactive compiled
| Lisp function in
| `/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf.elc'.
|
| It is bound to C-c C-v.
| (TeX-view)
|
| Start a viewer without confirmation.
| The viewer is started either on region or master file,
| depending on the last command issued.
|
| [back]
`----

This way xpdf starts and I can move around with shortcuts like e.g. R,
Q, arrows etc. ... just what I wanted :-)

* Re: acroread and reload a PDF
@ 2008-04-22 21:57 ` zs
From: zs @ 2008-04-22 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> With xpdf I just hit R and the file (which changed on the disk) gets
> reloaded. Am I right that acroread lacks a reload feature? Reopening a
> document anytime it changed totally sucks ...

I recommend you to use "evince" viewer. I suppose, its output is even nicer than acroread's one.
C-R reloads are supported.

ZS

* Re: acroread and reload a PDF
@ 2008-04-23  6:43   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-23  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 22, 2008, at 11:57 PM, zs wrote:

> I recommend you to use "evince" viewer. I suppose, its output is
> even nicer than acroread's one.
> C-R reloads are supported.
>
> ZS

While I like and use evince on linux, I must also say that it's still
not a very good viewer. Just to give you an example:

\setupcolors[state=start]

\definecolor [a]                [r=0,g=0,b=1]
\definecolor [b]                [r=0,g=0,b=0.05]

\starttext

\startuseMPgraphic{shade}
path p ;
p := unitsquare scaled 8cm ;
linear_shade(p,6,\MPcolor{a},\MPcolor{b}) ;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\useMPgraphic{shade}

\stoptext

Compile this and then have a look at the pdf file in acroread and in
evince.

Thomas

* Re: acroread and reload a PDF
@ 2008-04-23 11:15     ` zs
From: zs @ 2008-04-23 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:43:04 +0200
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> Compile this and then have a look at the pdf file in acroread and in
> evince.

Evince is not perfect and it will probably always be behind acroread.
I know continuous gradients are not shown perfectly, but it's something that many people can live with.
I suppose, evince is very good choice for development.

ZS

* Re: acroread and reload a PDF
@ 2008-04-23 12:27     ` George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2008-04-23 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 3:43 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

>  On Apr 22, 2008, at 11:57 PM, zs wrote:
>
>  > I recommend you to use "evince" viewer. I suppose, its output is
>  > even nicer than acroread's one.
>  > C-R reloads are supported.
>  >
>  > ZS
>
>  While I like and use evince on linux, I must also say that it's still
>  not a very good viewer. Just to give you an example:

When talking about evince, it is important to check which rendering
libraries are used.  I have documents that render correctly on my
debian box with at least one of the available evince packages
(linked to poppler 0.6.4), but not on Red Hat Fedora 8 (linked to
poppler-0.6.2), where some fonts are shown with "?".

While writing documents, I tend to use either apparition, which is fast
(as long as it is running on the local machine -- it can be very slow
over a network), or Emacs DocView  just makes a png image of each
page -- often enough to make sure some TeX fragment is working
properly.

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia