* Perfect Mac OS X Installation?
@ 2009-04-04  9:35 Markus Hubig
From: Markus Hubig @ 2009-04-04  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi @all,

i've done a fresh install of ConTeXt Minimals on my Mac OS X box.
Now I like to put my setup steps into a small script so my brother can
use it. It wold be nice if someone can give me some comments ...
maybe I missed something, maybe I did something stupid!

- Markus

-------8<-------schnipp--
# Create the application folder
mkdir /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/

# Download & Install the 'ConTeXt Minimals' distro
cd /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/
curl -o first-setup.sh http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/first-setup.sh
sh ./first-setup.sh

# Fix some path values inside setuptex
cd /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex
cp setuptex setuptex.orig
sed -e 's#^export HOMETEXMF .*$#export HOMETEXMF = ~/texmf#g' \
    -e 's#^export TEXMF .*$#export TEXMF =
{$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFPROJECT,!!$TEXMFFONTS,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFCONTEXT,!!$TEXMFEXTRA,!!$TEXMFMAIN}#g'
\
    setuptex.orig > setuptex

# Fix some path values inside texmf.cnf
cd /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex
mkdir -p texmf-local/web2c
cp texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf texmf-local/web2c/texmf.orig
cd texmf-local/web2c
sed -e 's#^HOMETEXMF .*$#HOMETEXMF = ~/texmf#g' \
    -e 's#^TEXMF .*$#TEXMF =
{$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFPROJECT,!!$TEXMFFONTS,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFCONTEXT,!!$TEXMFEXTRA,!!$TEXMFMAIN}#g'
\
    texmf.orig > texmf.cnf

# customize bash settings
cd
echo "source /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/setuptex
/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex" >> ~/.bash_profile
source ~/.bash_profile

# do some stuff ...
ctxtools --update
texexec --make --all --pdftex
texexec --make --all --xetex
luatools --generate
luatools --ini --compile --verbose cont-en
luatools --ini --compile --verbose cont-de
luatools lmr12.afm
context --generate

-------8<-------schnapp--

* Re: Perfect Mac OS X Installation?
@ 2009-04-04  9:46 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-04  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 11:35, Markus Hubig <mhubig@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi @all,
>
> i've done a fresh install of ConTeXt Minimals on my Mac OS X box.
> Now I like to put my setup steps into a small script so my brother can
> use it. It wold be nice if someone can give me some comments ...
> maybe I missed something, maybe I did something stupid!

I would not install it to /Applications; it doesn't behave like a Mac
application, but that's completely up to you.

> # Fix some path values inside setuptex
> cd /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex
> cp setuptex setuptex.orig
> sed -e 's#^export HOMETEXMF .*$#export HOMETEXMF = ~/texmf#g' \
>    -e 's#^export TEXMF .*$#export TEXMF =
> {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFPROJECT,!!$TEXMFFONTS,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFCONTEXT,!!$TEXMFEXTRA,!!$TEXMFMAIN}#g'
> \
>    setuptex.orig > setuptex

No time to comment extensively, but you don't need to rename it back
to setuptex. Just create "mysetuptex/mytex" and call that one.

If you rename it to setuptex, it will get rewritten next time when you update.

> # Fix some path values inside texmf.cnf
> cd /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex
> mkdir -p texmf-local/web2c
> cp texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf texmf-local/web2c/texmf.orig
> cd texmf-local/web2c
> sed -e 's#^HOMETEXMF .*$#HOMETEXMF = ~/texmf#g' \
>    -e 's#^TEXMF .*$#TEXMF =
> {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFPROJECT,!!$TEXMFFONTS,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFCONTEXT,!!$TEXMFEXTRA,!!$TEXMFMAIN}#g'
> \
>    texmf.orig > texmf.cnf

That's OK.

Mojca

* Re: Perfect Mac OS X Installation?
@ 2009-04-04 13:03 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-04-04 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 4, 2009, at 11:35 AM, Markus Hubig wrote:

> Hi @all,
>
> i've done a fresh install of ConTeXt Minimals on my Mac OS X box.
> Now I like to put my setup steps into a small script so my brother can
> use it. It wold be nice if someone can give me some comments ...
> maybe I missed something, maybe I did something stupid!
>
> - Markus

Your script is clever, but in my experience, you can simplify the
process. I have a TeXLive install and the ConTeXt minimals on my OS X
box. In order to use them, I have two configuration files. Here's the
one for the minimals (which is named .minicontext):

PATH="/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-osx-intel/bin:$PATH"
export PATH
export TEXMFCACHE="/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-cache"
export TEXMFCNF="/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf/web2c"
export TEXMF="{/Users/tas/texmf,/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-project,/
Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-fonts,/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-local,/
Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-context,/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-
extra,/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf}"
export LUAINPUTS="{/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-context/scripts/
context/lua,/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base,/
Users/tas/texmf/scripts/context/lua}"

I simply run "source ~/.minicontext", and my system is set up. The
syntax is for zsh; if you're running bash or (heaven forbid!) tcsh,
you may have to adapt it slightly; and of course, adapt the path
variables to your own needs.

Best

Thomas

* Re: Perfect Mac OS X Installation?
@ 2009-04-05 15:32   ` George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2009-04-05 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2009, at 11:35 AM, Markus Hubig wrote:
>
>> Hi @all,
>>
>> i've done a fresh install of ConTeXt Minimals on my Mac OS X box.
>> Now I like to put my setup steps into a small script so my brother can
>> use it. It wold be nice if someone can give me some comments ...
>> maybe I missed something, maybe I did something stupid!
>>
>> - Markus
>
> Your script is clever, but in my experience, you can simplify the process. I
> have a TeXLive install and the ConTeXt minimals on my OS X box. In order to
> use them, I have two configuration files. Here's the one for the minimals
> (which is named .minicontext):
>
> PATH="/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-osx-intel/bin:$PATH"
> export PATH
> export TEXMFCACHE="/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-cache"
> export TEXMFCNF="/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf/web2c"
> export
> TEXMF="{/Users/tas/texmf,/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-project,/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-fonts,/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-local,/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-context,/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-extra,/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf}"
> export
> LUAINPUTS="{/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua,/Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base,/Users/tas/texmf/scripts/context/lua}"
>
> I simply run "source ~/.minicontext", and my system is set up. The syntax is
> for zsh; if you're running bash or (heaven forbid!) tcsh, you may have to
> adapt it slightly; and of course, adapt the path variables to your own
> needs.

There is a tool designed specifically for this sort of adjustment to
the environment,
called "environment modules":

<http://modules.sourceforge.net/>
<http://www.nersc.gov/nusers/resources/software/os/modules.html>

This was standard kit on SGI Irix -- now that we are replacing the SGI
workstations with
MacOSX at work I use the (experimental) tcl version.    The big
advantage of using
environment modules is that it reliably restores the default environment.

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia