* LMTX running on macOS Catalina; fuzzy paragraphs; unwanted whitespace
@ 2020-03-22 22:37 T. Kurt Bond
From: T. Kurt Bond @ 2020-03-22 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I got LMTX running on macOS Catalina.  I followed the directions here
<https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installing_ConTeXt_LMTX_on_MacOS> for
versions prior to Catalina, including authorizing the mtxrun script through
Security & Privacy General tab.  The first run of install.sh stopped with
the errors:

cp: cannot stat
'/Users/tkb/context-osx-64/tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua/mtxrun.lua':
No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat
'/Users/tkb/context-osx-64/tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua/mtx-install.lua':
No such file or directory

So I ran install.sh again.  This time it said a bunch of things were
missing and downloaded them.  It seemed to finish ok, so I ran context on
my document and it produced a PDF!  (The ConTexT with TeXLive 2018 and
TeXLive 2019 both died on this document with different unhelpful errors, by
the way.)

Both LMTX and TeXLive 2019 ran 5 to 10 times slower than TeXLive 2018, and
both complain about "fuzzy paragraphs" with a list of U+XXXX codepoints.
What's that mean?

However, the PDF has unwanted whitespace in many areas.

   - It has unwanted whitespace between the entries in the Table of
   Contents.
   - It has unwanted whitespace before and after section headings, despite
   me having "before={},after={}" in the \setuphead commands for all the
   levels of sections.
   - And it had a large unwanted white space between paragraphs until I
   \setupwhitespace[none]. I'd prefer a little bit of white space between
   paragraphs, but I tried \setupwhitespace[0.5ex] and
   \definemeasure[between][0.25ex] with \setupwhitespace[\measure{between}],
   and \setupwhitespace[5pt] but all those went back to way too much white
   space between paragraphs.

Any ideas?
--
T. Kurt Bond, tkurtbond@gmail.com

* Re: LMTX running on macOS Catalina; fuzzy paragraphs; unwanted whitespace
@ 2020-03-23  2:07 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-03-23  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

T. Kurt Bond schrieb am 22.03.2020 um 23:37:
> I got LMTX running on macOS Catalina.  I followed the directions here
> <https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installing_ConTeXt_LMTX_on_MacOS> for
> versions prior to Catalina, including authorizing the mtxrun script
> through Security & Privacy General tab.  The first run of install.sh
> stopped with the errors:
>
>     cp: cannot stat
>     '/Users/tkb/context-osx-64/tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua/mtxrun.lua':
>     No such file or directory
>     cp: cannot stat
>     '/Users/tkb/context-osx-64/tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua/mtx-install.lua':
>     No such file or directory
>

> So I ran install.sh again.  This time it said a bunch of things were
> missing and downloaded them.  It seemed to finish ok, so I ran context
> on my document and it produced a PDF!  (The ConTexT with TeXLive 2018
> and TeXLive 2019 both died on this document with different unhelpful
> errors, by the way.)
>
> Both LMTX and TeXLive 2019 ran 5 to 10 times slower than TeXLive 2018,
> and both complain about "fuzzy paragraphs" with a list of U+XXXX
> codepoints.  What's that mean?
>
> However, the PDF has unwanted whitespace in many areas.
>
>   * It has unwanted whitespace between the entries in the Table of
>     Contents.
>   * It has unwanted whitespace before and after section headings,
>     despite me having "before={},after={}" in the \setuphead commands
>     for all the levels of sections.
>   * And it had a large unwanted white space between paragraphs until I
>     \setupwhitespace[none]. I'd prefer a little bit of white space
>     between paragraphs, but I tried \setupwhitespace[0.5ex] and
>     \definemeasure[between][0.25ex] with
>     \setupwhitespace[\measure{between}], and \setupwhitespace[5pt] but
>     all those went back to way too much white space between paragraphs.
>
> Any ideas?

Do you have a working minimal example for the problem because when I run
the following example on my machine there is no extra whitespace.

%%%% begin example
\setuphead
   [chapter,section,subsection,subsubsection]
   [before={\blank[nowhite]},
    after={\blank[nowhite]}]

\setupwhitespace
   [medium]

%\showgrid

\starttext

\completecontent

\chapter{Chapter}

\samplefile{knuth}

\section{Section}

\samplefile{weisman}

\subsection{Subsection}

\samplefile{weisman}

\subsubsection{Subsubsection}

\samplefile{weisman}

\stoptext
%%%% end example

Wolfgang

* Re: LMTX running on macOS Catalina; fuzzy paragraphs; unwanted whitespace
@ 2020-03-23 15:50   ` T. Kurt Bond
From: T. Kurt Bond @ 2020-03-23 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

It turns out that the extra whitespace before and after the section headers
in the body appears when I put \startcolumns[n=2] before the body text and
\stopcolumns after it.  Here's the MWE, just slightly modified from your
example:

%%%% begin example
\setuphead
   [chapter,section,subsection,subsubsection]
   [before={\blank[nowhite]},
    after={\blank[nowhite]}]

\setupwhitespace
   [medium]

%\showgrid

\starttext

\startcolumns[n=2]

\completecontent

\chapter{Chapter}

\samplefile{knuth}

\section{Section}

\samplefile{weisman}

\subsection{Subsection}

\samplefile{weisman}

\subsubsection{Subsubsection}

\samplefile{weisman}

\stopcolumns

\stoptext
%%%% end example

--

@ 2020-03-23 19:15     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-03-23 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

T. Kurt Bond schrieb am 23.03.2020 um 16:50:
> It turns out that the extra whitespace before and after the section
> headers in the body appears when I put \startcolumns[n=2] before the
> body text and \stopcolumns after it.  Here's the MWE, just slightly
> modified from your example:
>
> %%%% begin example
> [...]
> %%%% end example

The old columns environment was replaced a while ago with the newer
(although available since a few years) mixedcolumns environment.

A big difference between the old columns code and new code is that the
new code relies on a page grid which can lead to extra lines in the
output, because ConTeXt adds extra space to put text on the grid.

When you don't care about the grid you can disable it for the columns
environment but this has to be done also for headers which have their
own grid option.

Another option is to try the pagecolumns environment, which is another
environment for multi columns text but it's a very recent addition and
lacks some features like column balancing.

%%%% begin columns
\setuphead
   [chapter,section,subsection,subsubsection]
   [before={\blank[nowhite]},
    after={\blank[nowhite]},
    grid=no]

\setupwhitespace
   [medium]

\setuplist
   [chapter,section,subsection,subsubsection]
   [before={\blank[nowhite]},
    after={\blank[nowhite]}]

\setupcolumns
   [grid=no]

\starttext

\startcolumns

\completecontent

\chapter{Chapter}

\samplefile{knuth}

\section{Section}

\samplefile{weisman}

\subsection{Subsection}

\samplefile{weisman}

\subsubsection{Subsubsection}

\samplefile{weisman}

\stopcolumns

\stoptext
%%%% end columns

Wolfgang

* Re: LMTX running on macOS Catalina; fuzzy paragraphs; unwanted whitespace
@ 2020-03-23 21:20       ` T. Kurt Bond
From: T. Kurt Bond @ 2020-03-23 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)