* maybe OT? ConTeXt on an EEEPC
@ 2008-04-19  9:42 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-19  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Dear all,

maybe this is off-topic, but I just wanted to tell you about my
experiences (and sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch, it isn't!).
Since I have a fairly long commute to work, I spend a lot of time on
the train and like/need to do serious work there. When you have to
schlepp it almost every day, a normal laptop seems pretty heavy after
a while, that's why I got me one of those eeepc thingies. Its tiny
screen and small keyboard scream "I'm just a mobile device, not a
replacement for a real computer," and it's not the fastest machine
around. However, my joy is great whenever I stuff the little thing in
my bag and lift it.

I got the 8GB variant. To do work, I always want all my documents with
me (so I can easily sync my entire Documents directory between work,
home, and laptop) and, of course, my TeX installation. My texlive-
texmf tree now is 1.6 G, so I needed a bit more space than the 4G
model offers (models with larger screens and hard disks will be
available soonish). It has a SDHC card reader, so I copied my
Documents and the TeX installation to the internal disk (a SSD) and
have my linux installation on a card from which I boot. With a shell
script, I set the $PATH so I can mount the internal disk and run
ConTeXt off of it. Everything works wonderfully. As I said, it's a
slow machine, so you don't want to compile very long documents too
often, but it does run every flavor of ConTeXt. I often prepare my
presentations on the train, and this works great: I have the
environment to which I'm used for editing the source files (emacs +
ConTeXt) and a pdf viewer open in another workspace. This setup is one
of the reasons why I prefer a texlive installation to a minimal
ConTeXt tree: that way, I have to maintain it only once and can sync
it between my computers. So whoever has to travel a lot: I find it
wonderful to have such a small and light computer on the road.

All best, have a nice weekend

Thomas

* Re: maybe OT? ConTeXt on an EEEPC
@ 2008-04-19 12:46 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-19 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> a while, that's why I got me one of those eeepc thingies. Its tiny

ah, i was considering buying one of those

> screen and small keyboard scream "I'm just a mobile device, not a
> replacement for a real computer," and it's not the fastest machine
> around. However, my joy is great whenever I stuff the little thing in
> my bag and lift it.
>
> I got the 8GB variant. To do work, I always want all my documents with

how does luatex run on it? mem consumption and such ... what is 'slow'?
how many pages per second for a 100 page document? does it connect well
to a beamer?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-04-19 19:05   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-19 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 19, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> how does luatex run on it? mem consumption and such ... what is
> 'slow'?
> how many pages per second for a 100 page document? does it connect
> well
> to a beamer?
>
> Hans

OK, just to give you a very rough estimate: here is the time for
compiling my lecture course with mkiv. It's fairly long, but not very
complex; it is written in xml and processed with an environment with
the "new" xml mechanism. My home computer is a mac mini with a 1.83G
intel core 2 duo and 2G RAM; I consider it a fairly fast machine. this
is with the latest luatex + today's beta, after all fonts have been
cached etc.:

time texexec --lua --env=vorlesung-mkiv --mode=default aristophanes.xml

mkiv lua stats : runtime                   - 26.041 seconds, 271
processed pages, 271 shipped pages, 10.407 pages/second

26.45s user 0.62s system 99% cpu 27.167 total

Now the same run with the same file on my eeepc:

mkiv lua stats : runtime                   - 71.326 seconds, 271
processed pages, 271 shipped pages, 3.799 pages/second

68.60s user 0.97s system 94% cpu 1:13.94 total

Haven't yet tried connecting it to a projector, but I suspect that the
graphics card may be a bit wimpy.

@ 2008-04-19 19:18     ` Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-04-19 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eee pc wit ubuntu here (and context). Great small computer.
The 900 comes in a few month… 8,9′ and maybe 20Go of ssd… 400€.

Olivier.

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz <
thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >
> > how does luatex run on it? mem consumption and such ... what is
> > 'slow'?
> > how many pages per second for a 100 page document? does it connect
> > well
> > to a beamer?
> >
> > Hans
> >

> OK, just to give you a very rough estimate: here is the time for
> compiling my lecture course with mkiv. It's fairly long, but not very
> complex; it is written in xml and processed with an environment with
> the "new" xml mechanism. My home computer is a mac mini with a 1.83G
> intel core 2 duo and 2G RAM; I consider it a fairly fast machine. this
> is with the latest luatex + today's beta, after all fonts have been
> cached etc.:
>
> time texexec --lua --env=vorlesung-mkiv --mode=default aristophanes.xml
>
> mkiv lua stats : runtime                   - 26.041 seconds, 271
> processed pages, 271 shipped pages, 10.407 pages/second
>
> 26.45s user 0.62s system 99% cpu 27.167 total
>
> Now the same run with the same file on my eeepc:
>
> mkiv lua stats : runtime                   - 71.326 seconds, 271
> processed pages, 271 shipped pages, 3.799 pages/second
>
> 68.60s user 0.97s system 94% cpu 1:13.94 total
>
> Haven't yet tried connecting it to a projector, but I suspect that the
> graphics card may be a bit wimpy.
>
> Thomas

[Message tapé sur un clavier Bépo : http://www.clavier-dvorak.org ]
Olivier nemolivier@gmail.com http://nemolivier.blogspot.com

* Re: maybe OT? ConTeXt on an EEEPC
@ 2008-04-19 20:48     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-19 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> how does luatex run on it? mem consumption and such ... what is
>> 'slow'?
>> how many pages per second for a 100 page document? does it connect
>> well
>> to a beamer?
>>
>> Hans
>>

> OK, just to give you a very rough estimate: here is the time for
> compiling my lecture course with mkiv. It's fairly long, but not very
> complex; it is written in xml and processed with an environment with
> the "new" xml mechanism. My home computer is a mac mini with a 1.83G
> intel core 2 duo and 2G RAM; I consider it a fairly fast machine. this
> is with the latest luatex + today's beta, after all fonts have been
> cached etc.:
>
> time texexec --lua --env=vorlesung-mkiv --mode=default aristophanes.xml
>
> mkiv lua stats : runtime                   - 26.041 seconds, 271
> processed pages, 271 shipped pages, 10.407 pages/second

ok, 10p/s is as expected (given taco and my timings with test documents
of average complexity)

> 26.45s user 0.62s system 99% cpu 27.167 total
>
> Now the same run with the same file on my eeepc:
>
> mkiv lua stats : runtime                   - 71.326 seconds, 271
> processed pages, 271 shipped pages, 3.799 pages/second
>
> 68.60s user 0.97s system 94% cpu 1:13.94 total

not that bad, given that the machine runs on 500mhz

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-04-19 20:49       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-19 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olivier Guéry wrote:
> Eee pc wit ubuntu here (and context). Great small computer.
> The 900 comes in a few month… 8,9′ and maybe 20Go of ssd… 400€.

the 900/20G would be my choice indeed .. plus an extra battery

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-04-20  7:57         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-04-20  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.ink-media.com/index.html

--
luigi
it's new .

* Re: maybe OT? ConTeXt on an EEEPC
@ 2008-04-20 10:34           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-20 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:
> http://www.ink-media.com/index.html

the via c7 is ok but not enough mem for a decent tex installation and
tex job; maybe we should define a kind of 'suited for tex' spec

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-04-20 11:21 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2008-04-20 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

How about the MacBook Air?…
It is some 1300 grams (but indeed more expensive).

Best regards: OK

@ 2008-04-20 13:18   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-20 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared Kavian wrote:
> How about the MacBook Air?…
> It is some 1300 grams (but indeed more expensive).

indeed much more expensive (my current workhorse is a dell M90); i have
a 17 in mac sitting dead on a desk for year snow ... too closed
hard/software to figure out the problem (i could have bought 10 EEEPC's
for the money)

anyhow, for me the ieee solution sounds like a nice way to carry tex to
a conference instead of a production machine -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-04-20 14:33     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-20 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 20, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Otared Kavian wrote:
>> How about the MacBook Air?…
>> It is some 1300 grams (but indeed more expensive).
>
> indeed much more expensive (my current workhorse is a dell M90); i
> have
> a 17 in mac sitting dead on a desk for year snow ... too closed
> hard/software to figure out the problem (i could have bought 10
> EEEPC's
> for the money)
>
> anyhow, for me the ieee solution sounds like a nice way to carry tex
> a conference instead of a production machine -)
>
> Hans

Yes, the MacBook Air is nice, but in a completely different league -
price, specs etc. For me, the form factor was also very important: I
wanted something as small as possible, and the MBA has the same size
as a regular laptop.  As for carrying TeX to a conference: the really
great thing is that you can have different operating systems on SDHC
cards. I have one with Mandriva and one with SuSE and want to try
Ubuntu next week. So you could have different TeX installs and switch
very quickly and cleanly.

I would've gone for the 9" as well, but given the looooooong wait for
the first generation, I don't think you'll be able to actually buy one
of those before the end of the summer. The 7" was announced for
November, then December, then February...

Thomas