* How to define an array of pens
@ 2020-06-22  7:17 Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-06-22  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

After learning from you how to define an array of colors and paths, I would like to know how is it possible to define a variable pen size.
In the following working example below, I would like to replace

	MyPens[j] := pencircle scaled 2pt ;

by something like

	MyPens[j] := pencircle scaled (2+j) pt ;

but this does not work (neither do (2+j)*pt).
Is it possible to specify the pen size according to the value of j, without using a structure like

	if j == -1 :
		MyPens[j] := pencircle scaled 1pt ;
	elseif j == 0 :
		MyPens[j] := pencircle scaled 2pt ;
	else :
		MyPens[j] := pencircle scaled 3pt ;
	fi

(In my real example I have more than three values for j).

%% begin example-array.tex
\startMPpage
	string MyColors[] ;
	path   MyPaths [] ;
	pen MyPens[] ;
	for j = -1 step 1 until 1 :
		MyPens[j] := pencircle scaled 2pt ; % I would like to say here (2+j) pt
	endfor
	MyPaths[-1] := (-1.5cm,1.5cm) -- (1.5cm,1.5cm) ; MyColors[-1] := "magenta" ;
	MyPaths[0] := (-2cm,2cm) -- (2cm,-2cm) ; MyColors[0] := "darkyellow" ;
	MyPaths[1] := fullcircle scaled 3cm ; MyColors[1] := "darkred" ;
	for j = -1 step 1 until 1 :
		draw MyPaths[j] withpen MyPens[j] withcolor MyColors[j] ;
	endfor
\stopMPpage
%% end example-array.tex

Best regards: Otared

* Re: How to define an array of pens
@ 2020-06-22  7:28 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2020-06-22  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 22 Jun 2020, at 09:17, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> After learning from you how to define an array of colors and paths, I would like to know how is it possible to define a variable pen size.
> In the following working example below, I would like to replace
>
> 	MyPens[j] := pencircle scaled 2pt ;
>
> by something like
>
> 	MyPens[j] := pencircle scaled (2+j) pt ;

MyPens[j] := pencircle scaled ((2+j)*pt);

“pt” is just a multiplier variable in MetaPost. there is an
implied multiplication operation, but that only works in
bare-number cases. That is why you need

 (2+j)*pt

The outer parentheses are to prevent MetaPost from interpreting
your line as

  (pencircle scaled (2+j)) * pt;

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: How to define an array of pens
@ 2020-06-22  9:23   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-06-22  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Taco!
I added this and Hans' explanations to the wiki:

	https://wiki.contextgarden.net/variable_color

but could not set a better title for that page such as « Variable arrays of colors, pens, paths ».

Best regards: Otared

@ 2020-06-22 14:32 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2020-06-22 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/06/20 01:17, Otared Kavian wrote:
> 	for j = -1 step 1 until 1 :
> 		MyPens[j] := pencircle scaled 2pt ; % I would like to say here (2+j) pt
> 	endfor

MyPens[j] := pencircle scaled (2+j)*pt ;

pt is just a variable, and one can write 2pt implicitly implying the
multiplication, but must explicitly write (2+j)*pt to parse correctly.

Alan