Hi List, I solved this problem, but the solution is a bit mysterious to me. I was trying to solve another problem – removing the small space underneath the graphic in the framed box. I did this by adding boffset=-\strutdepth to the framed command. That not only got rid of the space inside the frame, it also removed the excess space between the rows in the itemize columns! I don’t know why this fix solved both problems, but I’m happy with the result. Now I can use options for the choices – like packed and joinedup – with consistent results for any number of columns. I’ve put the fixed code and output below, for anyone who is interested. Even when I’m a bit confused, I’m glad to be working with ConTeXt rather than any other system! Best, Gavin \starttext \defineitemgroup[questions] \setupquestions [1] [n] \define\question{\item} \defineitemgroup[choices] \setupchoices [each] [A,columns] [left=(, right=), width=1.7em, stopper=,] \define\choice{\item} \def\mycolor{.625red} \startuseMPgraphic{name} fill fullcircle scaled 40pt withcolor \mycolor; \stopuseMPgraphic \define[1]\mycolordot{\def\mycolor{#1}\framed[location=top,offset=0pt,boffset=-\strutdepth,frame=off]{\useMPgraphic{name}}} Here are a few great looking multiple choice questions about colors. \startquestions \question What is your favorite color? \startchoices[columns,four] \choice \mycolordot{.625red} \choice \mycolordot{.625blue} \choice \mycolordot{.625green} \choice \mycolordot{.625magenta} \stopchoices \question What is your least favorite color? \startchoices[columns] \choice \mycolordot{.625red} \choice \mycolordot{.625blue} \choice \mycolordot{.625green} \choice \mycolordot{.625magenta} \stopchoices \question Toward which colors do you feel indifferent? \startchoices[one] \choice \mycolordot{.625red} \choice \mycolordot{.625blue} \choice \mycolordot{.625green} \choice \mycolordot{.625magenta} \stopchoices \stopquestions That's it for questions about colors! \stoptext