From: "White, George" <WhiteG@mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Cc: "'ntg-context '" <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Subject: RE: beta and hanging question
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:44:44 -0400	[thread overview]

The example Hans sent is the same as one I had saved from last September.
Using pdftex 0.14h, I have now tried two different snapshots on two
different platforms (i685 linux and SGI Irix) and find that I need
to reduce the [rl]pcode values to about 25% of those that worked with
0.14g (e.g., in enco-pro.tex).

My experiments indicate that \pdfprotrudechars=2 should become a
normal setting with relatively conservative [rl]pcode values.  I often
encounter layouts with rather narrow columns.  Smoother appearance of the
margins is nice, but even more important is that some very bad line breaks
disappear without needing to reword the text!