* German umlauts?
@ 2001-11-09 17:48 Mathias.Picker
From: Mathias.Picker @ 2001-11-09 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm just exploring ConTeX. I used it once for a presentation, and got
proper umlauts from öäüÖÄÜß, but now, using only a simple document a la

\starttext
Umlauts: öäüÖÄÜß
\stoptext

I get nothing. The old presentation still works, so it's not the context
installation...

What do I have to do?

Cheers, Mathias
--
                            virtual earth
 Mathias Picker

                            Mathias.Picker@virtual-earth.de
			    Fon +49 89  / 540 7425-1
                            Fax +49 89  / 540 7425-9

* Re: German umlauts?
@ 2001-11-10 20:26 ` Thomas Handler
From: Thomas Handler @ 2001-11-10 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias,

for me a \useencoding[win] in the document setup area (I hope I remember it correctly) did the job.

Hope this helps.

Thomas

> I'm just exploring ConTeX. I used it once for a presentation, and got
> proper umlauts from öäüÖÄÜß, but now, using only a simple document a la
>
> \starttext
> Umlauts: öäüÖÄÜß
> \stoptext
>
> I get nothing. The old presentation still works, so it's not the context
> installation...
>
> What do I have to do?
>
> Cheers, Mathias
> --
>                             virtual earth
>  Mathias Picker
>  Geschäftsführer      Gesellschaft für Wissens re/prä sentation mbH
>
>                             Mathias.Picker@virtual-earth.de
>     Fon +49 89  / 540 7425-1
>                             Fax +49 89  / 540 7425-9

* Re: German umlauts?
@ 2001-11-11 10:47   ` Mathias.Picker
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Mathias.Picker @ 2001-11-11 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Thanks, that did it.

But, since I'm using *ix, isn't there a latin1 or iso-80559-1 (or -15)
encoding? "win" seems somewhat misleading.

I tried latin1 but it did not work.

Cheers, Mathias

--

@ 2001-11-11 11:50     ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2001-11-11 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: th, ntg-context

Hi,

> Thanks, that did it.
> But, since I'm using *ix, isn't there a latin1 or iso-80559-1 (or -15)
> encoding? "win" seems somewhat misleading.
True, but they are almost identical. I started with Windows and added. And
no-one needed to change this.

Actually enco-win.tex is incomplete: It does neither cover the complete
Windows-Encoding nor the ISO-8859-1. It misses for instance the ° sign.
The ISO-8859-15 is probably less needed (well, it contains \euro and the
\oe) since we are all heading towards Unicode (UTF8). (There is some
groundwork done for Unicode (for chinese support in ConTeXt), but UTF8 is
missing if I recall correctly.)

With warm regards from Berlin,

Tobias

* Re[2]: German umlauts?
@ 2001-11-11 12:10     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-11-11 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Sunday, November 11, 2001 Mathias.Picker@virtual-earth.de wrote:

MPved> Thanks, that did it.

MPved> But, since I'm using *ix, isn't there a latin1 or iso-80559-1 (or -15)
MPved> encoding? "win" seems somewhat misleading.

MPved> I tried latin1 but it did not work.

\enableregime[il1]

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: German umlauts?
@ 2001-11-11 13:40     ` Thomas Handler
From: Thomas Handler @ 2001-11-11 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Mathias,

> Thanks, that did it.
Glad to hear that, since my machine I'm contexting on is far away at the moment I was not sure ;-)

> But, since I'm using *ix, isn't there a latin1 or iso-80559-1 (or -15)
> encoding? "win" seems somewhat misleading.
> I tried latin1 but it did not work.

There is a file in the context sources that lists all of the possible encodings. I don't remember this file by now, I could look it up again when I'm on my machine again, but this will take a day or two.
But maybe some of the cracks could give a hint?

Otherwise you could try to give a find & grep on enco-win to find this file.

Cheers
  Thomas