* How to use \setuplist for formatting a chapter entry?
@ 2015-02-03  8:57 Rob Heusdens
From: Rob Heusdens @ 2015-02-03  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello list,

I have one little problem that I need to solve to finish my work on a
document. I want to format a list entry for the TOC for chapters like
this:

"Hoofdstuk #1 -- #2 . . . . . . . . #3"

Where #1 is the chapter number, #2 is the title and #3 the page number
where the chapter begins.

Of course the ". . . " entry is just like the normal cases where the dots
fill the rest of the line.

I have an *almost* correct solution using numbercommand and setting the
width for the title, but this leaves a gap between the formatted chapter
number and the title, because "chapter 9" and "chapter 10" don't take the
same width.

So, some other solution is needed. I tried using the command option, which
needs 3 arguments, but could not get it to work.

Here is how it looks now:

\define[1]\ChapterNumberToc%
	 {Hoofdstuk #1 -- }

\definecombinedlist[content][chapter]
\setupcombinedlist[content][level=4, alternative=c]
\setuplist[chapter][headnumber=yes,style=bold,width=8em,numbercommand=\ChapterNumberToc]
\starttext
\completecontent
\dorecurse{5}{
\chapter {Knuth} \input knuth
\chapter {Zapf}  \input zapf}
\stoptext

As you can see, there is a different between the 9-th and 10-th chapter,
because title is set at a specific width, and doesn't adapt to the width
of the formatted chapter number entry.

How to solve this, so that the title is placed directly after the
"Hoofdstuk #1 -- " entry, thereafter the filler with dots and finally the
page number at the location where it is now.

Thanks,

Rob

* Re: How to use \setuplist for formatting a chapter entry?
@ 2015-02-03  9:13 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-02-03  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 03.02.2015 um 09:57 schrieb Rob Heusdens <robheus@xs4all.nl>:
>
> Hello list,
>
> I have one little problem that I need to solve to finish my work on a
> document. I want to format a list entry for the TOC for chapters like
> this:
>
> "Hoofdstuk #1 -- #2 . . . . . . . . #3"
>
> Where #1 is the chapter number, #2 is the title and #3 the page number
> where the chapter begins.
>
> Of course the ". . . " entry is just like the normal cases where the dots
> fill the rest of the line.
>
> I have an *almost* correct solution using numbercommand and setting the
> width for the title, but this leaves a gap between the formatted chapter
> number and the title, because "chapter 9" and "chapter 10" don't take the
> same width.
>
> So, some other solution is needed. I tried using the command option, which
> needs 3 arguments, but could not get it to work.
>
> Here is how it looks now:
>
> \define[1]\ChapterNumberToc%
> 	 {Hoofdstuk #1 -- }
>
> \definecombinedlist[content][chapter]
> \setupcombinedlist[content][level=4, alternative=c]
> \setuplist[chapter][headnumber=yes,style=bold,width=8em,numbercommand=\ChapterNumberToc]
> \starttext
> \completecontent
> \dorecurse{5}{
> \chapter {Knuth} \input knuth
> \chapter {Zapf}  \input zapf}
> \stoptext
>
> As you can see, there is a different between the 9-th and 10-th chapter,
> because title is set at a specific width, and doesn't adapt to the width
> of the formatted chapter number entry.
>
> How to solve this, so that the title is placed directly after the
> "Hoofdstuk #1 -- " entry, thereafter the filler with dots and finally the
> page number at the location where it is now.

You have to write your own layout for the complete list entry. When you don’t
need hyperlinks for the list entries you can use “alternative=command” instead
of “alternative=interactive” for \setuplist.

\setupcombinedlist[content][list=chapter]

\definefiller[ChapterFiller]

\define[3]\ChapterListEntry
  {\vbox{Hoofdstuk #1 – #2 \filler[ChapterFiller] #3}}

\setuplist[chapter][alternative=interactive,command=\ChapterListEntry]

\starttext
\completecontent
\dorecurse{5}{
\chapter {Knuth} \input knuth
\chapter {Zapf}  \input zapf}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: How to use \setuplist for formatting a chapter entry?
@ 2015-02-03 11:15   ` Rob Heusdens
From: Rob Heusdens @ 2015-02-03 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You have to write your own layout for the complete list entry. When you
> don’t
> need hyperlinks for the list entries you can use “alternative=command”
> instead
> of “alternative=interactive” for \setuplist.
>
> \setupcombinedlist[content][list=chapter]
>
> \definefiller[ChapterFiller]
>
> \define[3]\ChapterListEntry
>   {\vbox{Hoofdstuk #1 – #2 \filler[ChapterFiller] #3}}
>
> \setuplist[chapter][alternative=interactive,command=\ChapterListEntry]
>
> \starttext
> \completecontent
> \dorecurse{5}{
> \chapter {Knuth} \input knuth
> \chapter {Zapf}  \input zapf}
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Hello Wolfgang,

The example works. However, if I do the same changes you made to my
example to my actual document, the result is different for some reason.

The chapter entry in the list (TOC) gets printed like:

"#1   #2 . . . . . . . . . . .  #3"

So the "Hoofdstuk" and " -- " element is not printed, and title is on a
fixed position. The entry IS interactive (printed green but not bold).

Here are my changes (replaced \ChapterToc for \ChapterListEntry)

\definefiller[ChapterFiller]

\define[3]\ChapterToc%
	{\vbox{\bf Hoofdstuk #1 -- #2 \filler[ChapterFiller] #3}}

\setuplist[chapter][alternative=interactive,command=\ChapterToc]

And my list is defined like this:

\definecombinedlist[content][chapter,section,intro,summary,appendix,back]
\setupcombinedlist[content][level=4, alternative=c]

I don't understand why making the same changes you did to the example,
performed on my document, makes a difference.

Can other \setuplist  definitions have something to do with it?

Here are some other definitions I used:

\definehead[intro][chapter]
\definehead[back][chapter]
\definehead[appendix][chapter]
\definehead[summary][section]

\setuplist[chapter][alternative=interactive,command=\ChapterToc]
\setuplist[section][headnumber=no]
\setuplist[summary][headnumber=no]
\setuplist[appendix][headnumber=no,style=bold,textcommand=\AppendixToc]
\setuplist[back][headnumber=no,style=bold,textcommand=\BackToc]

Entries for appendix chapter and back chapter get printed correctyly but
they don't have chapter number, only normal chapters have that.

Still puzzled by this...

@ 2015-02-03 11:30     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-02-03 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 03.02.2015 um 12:15 schrieb Rob Heusdens <robheus@xs4all.nl>:
>

>> You have to write your own layout for the complete list entry. When you
>> don’t
>> need hyperlinks for the list entries you can use “alternative=command”
>> instead
>> of “alternative=interactive” for \setuplist.
>>
>> \setupcombinedlist[content][list=chapter]
>>
>> \definefiller[ChapterFiller]
>>
>> \define[3]\ChapterListEntry
>>  {\vbox{Hoofdstuk #1 – #2 \filler[ChapterFiller] #3}}
>>
>> \setuplist[chapter][alternative=interactive,command=\ChapterListEntry]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \completecontent
>> \dorecurse{5}{
>> \chapter {Knuth} \input knuth
>> \chapter {Zapf}  \input zapf}
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>

> Hello Wolfgang,
>
> The example works. However, if I do the same changes you made to my
> example to my actual document, the result is different for some reason.
>
> The chapter entry in the list (TOC) gets printed like:
>
> "#1   #2 . . . . . . . . . . .  #3"
>
> So the "Hoofdstuk" and " -- " element is not printed, and title is on a
> fixed position. The entry IS interactive (printed green but not bold).
>
> Here are my changes (replaced \ChapterToc for \ChapterListEntry)
>
> \definefiller[ChapterFiller]
>
> \define[3]\ChapterToc%
> 	{\vbox{\bf Hoofdstuk #1 -- #2 \filler[ChapterFiller] #3}}
>
> \setuplist[chapter][alternative=interactive,command=\ChapterToc]
>
> And my list is defined like this:
>
> \definecombinedlist[content][chapter,section,intro,summary,appendix,back]
> \setupcombinedlist[content][level=4, alternative=c]

Remove the line above (the level key down’t work with MkIV) and use \setuplist
to set “alternative=c” for the list entries where you want to apply this layout.

Wolfgang

* Re: How to use \setuplist for formatting a chapter entry?
@ 2015-02-03 11:43       ` Rob Heusdens
From: Rob Heusdens @ 2015-02-03 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Remove the line above (the level key down’t work with MkIV) and use
> \setuplist
> to set “alternative=c” for the list entries where you want to apply
> this layout.
>
> Wolfgang

I commented out the \setupcombinedlist  command and placed "alternative=c"
into the other \setuplist  entries (except for \setuplist[chapter] which
has "alternative=interactive"

Then the result is even worse:

* the Introduction entry gets printed strangely like this:
"[intro: — Inleiding — 13]"

* the chapther entries are NOT interactive (black instead of green, but do
have bold), and while containing the right entries, they are indented to
the right. Other entries do print ok.

If I also set "alternative=c" for the chapter list entry, the other errors
go away, but the chapter line again looks like this:

"#1   #2 . . . . . #3"

and interactive (green) but not bold.

Still puzzled.....

@ 2015-02-04 11:26         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-02-04 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 03.02.2015 um 12:43 schrieb Rob Heusdens <robheus@xs4all.nl>:
>

>> Remove the line above (the level key down’t work with MkIV) and use
>> \setuplist
>> to set “alternative=c” for the list entries where you want to apply
>> this layout.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>

> I commented out the \setupcombinedlist  command and placed "alternative=c"
> into the other \setuplist  entries (except for \setuplist[chapter] which
> has "alternative=interactive"
>
> Then the result is even worse:
>
> * the Introduction entry gets printed strangely like this:
> "[intro: — Inleiding — 13]"
>
> * the chapther entries are NOT interactive (black instead of green, but do
> have bold), and while containing the right entries, they are indented to
> the right. Other entries do print ok.
>
> If I also set "alternative=c" for the chapter list entry, the other errors
> go away, but the chapter line again looks like this:
>
> "#1   #2 . . . . . #3"
>
> and interactive (green) but not bold.
>
> Still puzzled…..

You have to write a working minimal example for further help.

Wolfgang

* Re: How to use \setuplist for formatting a chapter entry?
@ 2015-02-04 14:33           ` Rob Heusdens
From: Rob Heusdens @ 2015-02-04 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You have to write a working minimal example for further help.
>
> Wolfgang

So this is the example:

\setupinteraction[state=start]

\definehead[intro][chapter]
\definehead[back][chapter]
\definehead[appendix][chapter]

\definecombinedlist[content][chapter,intro,appendix,back]
\setupcombinedlist[content][alternative=c]

\setupheadtext[content=Inhoud]
\setupheadtext[chapter=Hoofdstuk]
\setupheadtext[appendix=Bijlage]
\setupheadtext[back=Noten]

\definefiller[ChapterFiller]

\define[1]\MyContentCommand%
  {\framed[frame=off,offset=none,frameoffset=0pt]
     {\vbox{\blank[4cm]\Word{#1}}}}

\define[1]\MyIntroCommand%
  {\framed[frame=off,offset=none,frameoffset=0pt]
     {\vbox{\blank[4cm]\Word{#1}}}}

\define[2]\MyChapterCommand%
  {\framed[frame=off,offset=none,frameoffset=0pt]
     {\vbox{\blank[4cm]{\small \headtext{chapter}
#1}\blank\unhyphenated{#2}}}}

\define[1]\MyAppendixCommand%
  {\framed[frame=off,offset=none,frameoffset=0pt]
     {\vbox{\blank[4cm]{\small \headtext{appendix}}\blank\unhyphenated{#1}}}}

\define[1]\MyBackCommand%
  {\framed[frame=off,offset=none,frameoffset=0pt]
     {\vbox{\blank[4cm]{\small \headtext{back}}\blank\unhyphenated{#1}}}}

\definefiller[ChapterFiller]

\define[1]\ChapterNumberToc%
	 {Hoofdstuk #1 -- }

\define[3]\ChapterToc%
	{\vbox{\bf Hoofdstuk #1 -- #2 \filler[ChapterFiller] #3}}

\define[1]\AppendixToc%
	{Bijlage -- #1}

\define[1]\BackToc%
    {Noten -- #1}

\setuphead[intro][number=no,header=nomarking,command=\MyIntroCommand]
\setuphead[chapter][header=nomarking,command=\MyChapterCommand,aligntitle=yes,align={flushleft,nothyphenated,verytolerant}]
\setuphead[title][command=,textcommand=\MyContentCommand]
\setuphead[appendix][number=no,header=nomarking,command=,textcommand=\MyAppendixCommand,align={flushleft,nothyphenated,verytolerant}]
\setuphead[back][number=no,header=nomarking,command=,textcommand=\MyBackCommand,align={flushleft,nothyphenated,verytolerant}]

\setuplist[chapter][headnumber=yes,style=bold,width=17ex,numbercommand=\ChapterNumberToc]
%\setuplist[chapter][headnumber=yes,style=bold,alternative=command,command=\ChapterToc]
\setuplist[appendix][headnumber=no,style=bold,textcommand=\AppendixToc]
\setuplist[back][headnumber=no,style=bold,textcommand=\BackToc]

\starttext
\completecontent
\startfrontmatter
\intro{Intro}
\stopfrontmatter
\startbodymatter
\dorecurse{5}{
\chapter {Knuth} \input knuth
\chapter {Zapf}  \input zapf}
\stopbodymatter
\startappendices
\appendix{Appendix}
\stopappendices
\startbackmatter
\back{Back}
\stopbackmatter
\stoptext

As you can see, starting from chapter 10 (there are 21 chapters in the
real document) there is now no space between the endash and the title,
like it is for the first 9 chapters.

So, instead of using the numbercommand for the \setuplist[chapter] I tried
using:

\setuplist[chapter][headnumber=yes,style=bold,alternative=command,command=\ChapterToc]

(by uncommenting that line and commenting out the old \setuplist[chapter]

with the command \ChapterToc already defined in the MWE.

However, that does not produce the desired result.

Can you give a clue?

@ 2015-02-04 23:49             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-02-04 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 04.02.2015 um 15:33 schrieb Rob Heusdens <robheus@xs4all.nl>:
>

>> You have to write a working minimal example for further help.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>

> So this is the example:
>
> […]

You can remove the following lines:

> \definefiller[ChapterFiller]
>
> \define[1]\ChapterNumberToc%
> 	 {Hoofdstuk #1 -- }
>
> \define[3]\ChapterToc%
> 	{\vbox{\bf Hoofdstuk #1 -- #2 \filler[ChapterFiller] #3}}
>
> \define[1]\AppendixToc%
> 	{Bijlage -- #1}
>
> \define[1]\BackToc%
>    {Noten -- #1}
>
> […]

and replace these list setups

> \setuplist[chapter][headnumber=yes,style=bold,width=17ex,numbercommand=\ChapterNumberToc]
> %\setuplist[chapter][headnumber=yes,style=bold,alternative=command,command=\ChapterToc]
> \setuplist[appendix][headnumber=no,style=bold,textcommand=\AppendixToc]
> \setuplist[back][headnumber=no,style=bold,textcommand=\BackToc]

with the following definitions:

\setuplist [chapter]  [width=fit,style=bold,numbercommand=\groupedcommand{Hoofdstuk }{ – }]
\setuplist [appendix] [style=bold,textcommand=\groupedcommand{Bijlage – }{}]
\setuplist [back]     [style=bold,textcommand=\groupedcommand{Noten – }{}]

Wolfgang

* Re: How to use \setuplist for formatting a chapter entry?
@ 2015-02-06  9:44               ` Rob Heusdens
From: Rob Heusdens @ 2015-02-06  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Am 04.02.2015 um 15:33 schrieb Rob Heusdens <robheus@xs4all.nl>:
>>

>>> You have to write a working minimal example for further help.
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>>

>> So this is the example:
>>
>> […]
>
> You can remove the following lines:
>
>> \definefiller[ChapterFiller]
>>
>> \define[1]\ChapterNumberToc%
>> 	 {Hoofdstuk #1 -- }
>>
>> \define[3]\ChapterToc%
>> 	{\vbox{\bf Hoofdstuk #1 -- #2 \filler[ChapterFiller] #3}}
>>
>> \define[1]\AppendixToc%
>> 	{Bijlage -- #1}
>>
>> \define[1]\BackToc%
>>    {Noten -- #1}
>>
>> […]
>
> and replace these list setups
>
>> \setuplist[chapter][headnumber=yes,style=bold,width=17ex,numbercommand=\ChapterNumberToc]
>> %\setuplist[chapter][headnumber=yes,style=bold,alternative=command,command=\ChapterToc]
>> \setuplist[appendix][headnumber=no,style=bold,textcommand=\AppendixToc]
>> \setuplist[back][headnumber=no,style=bold,textcommand=\BackToc]
>
> with the following definitions:
>
> \setuplist [chapter]
> [width=fit,style=bold,numbercommand=\groupedcommand{Hoofdstuk }{ – }]
> \setuplist [appendix] [style=bold,textcommand=\groupedcommand{Bijlage –
> }{}]
> \setuplist [back]     [style=bold,textcommand=\groupedcommand{Noten –
> }{}]
>
> Wolfgang

This works!

Thank you Wolfgang.