* additional space with sidebar and narrower
@ 2019-03-26 10:16 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-03-26 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ahoi,
I’m trying to mark examples in a book with indent (\startnarrower) and a rule in the margin (\startsidebar).
Each of those works on its own as it should, but combined there’s an additional empty line before and after introduced that I can’t get rid of.
Any hints?

\starttext

\input tufte

\startsidebar
\startnarrower
\input knuth
\stopnarrower
\stopsidebar

\input tufte

\stoptext

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: additional space with sidebar and narrower
@ 2019-03-26 14:22 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-03-26 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

If the issue is the size of the sidebar, I think if you add something like

	\setupsidebar[topoffset=-5mm,bottomoffset=-5mm]

you can get rid of the spurious length of the sidebar. Indeed here 5mm should be replaced with what looks better with your setting of interlinespace.

Best regards: OK

@ 2019-03-26 15:04   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-03-26 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, I found that myself (could have written).

But the problem is that there’s space introduced if I use both environments, but not if I use only one. And I didn’t find how I can avoid that.

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2019-03-26 16:22     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-03-26 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm schrieb am 26.03.19 um 16:04:
> Thank you, I found that myself (could have written).
>
> But the problem is that there’s space introduced if I use both environments, but not if I use only one. And I didn’t find how I can avoid that.
Change the order of both environment and put sidebar in the narrower block.

The reason for the extra lien is that \startsidebar begins a new
paragraph but \startnarrower end the lest paragraph which results in a
single empty line.

Wolfgang

* Re: additional space with sidebar and narrower
@ 2019-03-26 23:06       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-03-26 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2019-03-26 um 17:22 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>:

> Henning Hraban Ramm schrieb am 26.03.19 um 16:04:
>> Thank you, I found that myself (could have written).
>>
>> But the problem is that there’s space introduced if I use both environments, but not if I use only one. And I didn’t find how I can avoid that.
> Change the order of both environment and put sidebar in the narrower block.
>
> The reason for the extra line is that \startsidebar begins a new paragraph but \startnarrower end the lest paragraph which results in a single empty line.

Thank you, that works in my MWE, but not in my real life book. (I was sure I tested that approach already...) I’ll investigate further.

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2019-04-07 18:44         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-04-07 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2019-03-27 um 00:06 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:

> Am 2019-03-26 um 17:22 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>:
>
>> Henning Hraban Ramm schrieb am 26.03.19 um 16:04:
>>> Thank you, I found that myself (could have written).
>>>
>>> But the problem is that there’s space introduced if I use both environments, but not if I use only one. And I didn’t find how I can avoid that.
>> Change the order of both environment and put sidebar in the narrower block.
>>
>> The reason for the extra line is that \startsidebar begins a new paragraph but \startnarrower end the lest paragraph which results in a single empty line.
>
> Thank you, that works in my MWE, but not in my real life book. (I was sure I tested that approach already...) I’ll investigate further.

I finally found out what’s the problem:

\starttext

\input tufte

\startnarrower
\startsidebar
\startparagraph
\input knuth
\stopparagraph
\stopsidebar
\stopnarrower

\input tufte

\stoptext

As soon as I use \start/stopparagraph within narrower and sidebar, there’s additional space introduced. How can I avoid that?

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2019-04-07 19:32           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-04-07 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/7/2019 8:44 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2019-03-27 um 00:06 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:

>>> Change the order of both environment and put sidebar in the narrower block.
>>>
>>> The reason for the extra line is that \startsidebar begins a new paragraph but \startnarrower end the lest paragraph which results in a single empty line.
>>
>> Thank you, that works in my MWE, but not in my real life book. (I was sure I tested that approach already...) I’ll investigate further.
>
> I finally found out what’s the problem:
>
> \starttext
>
> \input tufte
>
> \startnarrower
> \startsidebar
> \startparagraph
> \input knuth
> \stopparagraph
> \stopsidebar
> \stopnarrower
>
> \input tufte
>
> \stoptext
>
> As soon as I use \start/stopparagraph within narrower and sidebar, there’s additional space introduced. How can I avoid that?
swap 'm

\startnarrower
\startparagraph
\startsidebar
\input knuth
\stopsidebar
\stopparagraph
\stopnarrower

* Re: additional space with sidebar and narrower
@ 2019-04-08  5:59             ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-04-08  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2019-04-07 um 21:32 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:

> On 4/7/2019 8:44 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>>> Thank you, that works in my MWE, but not in my real life book. (I was sure I tested that approach already...) I’ll investigate further.
>> I finally found out what’s the problem:
>> \starttext
>> \input tufte
>> \startnarrower
>> \startsidebar
>> \startparagraph
>> \input knuth
>> \stopparagraph
>> \stopsidebar
>> \stopnarrower
>> \input tufte
>> \stoptext
>> As soon as I use \start/stopparagraph within narrower and sidebar, there’s additional space introduced. How can I avoid that?
> swap 'm
>
> \startnarrower
> \startparagraph
> \startsidebar
> \input knuth
> \stopsidebar
> \stopparagraph
> \stopnarrower

Thank you, but I need the sidebar over several paragraphs. (And I wrapped narrower and sidebar in its own startstop.)

Greetlings, Hraban
---