Dear Mojca, Here is the sequence that I used: cd context curl -o first-setup.sh http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/first-setup.sh sh ./first-setup.sh source ./tex/setuptex cd echo '. ~/context/tex/setuptex' >> .bash_profile luatools --selfupdate mtxrun --selfupdate luatools --generate context --make sh ./first-setup.sh --extras=all In TeXShop I then run a one page file called Purser.tex . The console readout gives me: TeXExec | processing document 'Purser.tex' TeXExec | no ctx file found TeXExec | tex processing method: context TeXExec | TeX run 1 TeXExec | writing option file Purser.top TeXExec | using randomseed 911 TeXExec | tex engine: luatex TeXExec | tex format: cont-en MTXrun | using format name: /Users/charlesdoherty/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/e580c8be7dcf42f3c6968188a08f16d6/formats/cont-en.fmt MTXrun | no luc/lua with name: cont-en TeXUtil | parsing file Purser.tui TeXUtil | shortcuts : 0 TeXUtil | expansions: 0 TeXUtil | reductions: 0 TeXUtil | divisions : 0 TeXUtil | loaded files: 0 TeXUtil | temporary files: 0 TeXUtil | commands: 0 TeXUtil | programs: 0 TeXUtil | tuo file saved TeXExec | runtime: 0.156153 From the above it seems to be a problem with the format. Thanks for any help, Charlie On 17 Sep 2010, at 20:52, Mojca Miklavec wrote: > Dear Charles, > > I'm not sure about what could go wrong. Which instructions exactly > were you following and at what point exactly does the problem appear? > > Mojca