From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
To: "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>,
Subject: Re: composing commands
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 20:40:34 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Thomas,

> On 2/5/21 5:38 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> etc ... the ones that make 'composed characters'. I think that anyone
>> who needs them uses utf . They can be in (say) m-oldschool.mkxl or so.
>>
>> Objections? Hurt feelings? Sentiments?
>
> No hurt feelings, but I know that in my bib files, there are a couple of
> old entries that still have these weird composed characters. So I'm fine
> with upgrading, but it would be nice if this could fail gracefully, with
> a nice and informative error message...

Okay, here is a secret. When your bib fils is read, those magic accent
placement commands are not used at all:

\starttext

\startbuffer[bib]
@article{test,
     title  = {\"Articl\`e \O n\k{e}},
     author = {Th\^omas},
     year   = {2001},
}
\stopbuffer

\usebtxdataset[bib.buffer]

\ctxlua{inspect(publications.datasets.default.luadata.test)}

\placebtxrendering[method=dataset,pagestate=start]

\stoptext

They have magically disappeared. Thanks to the fact hat Alan and I spent
quite a bit of time on brewing the magic potion when we redid the bib
stuff. So, although we will keep the shortcuts you'd probably never
noticed them being gone.

Now the question is: what can we expect in old bib files that we {\em
don't} handle.

Hans