* \vtop with middle alignment in a screenplay
@ 2013-06-11  9:44 Jan Pohanka
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2013-06-11  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a simple template for screenplays for our amateur
theatre.

I have following code and I'd like to have the single lines of the song
centered in a page, but preceded by a person name on the left

{Person 1:
\setupalign[middle]{\vtop{%
song asdf line 1\\
song line 2\\
song a line 3}}}

This code obviously does not work as I need. Can please someone advice
me proper ConTeXt way how to do it?

many thanks
Jan

* Re: \vtop with middle alignment in a screenplay
@ 2013-06-11  9:53 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-06-11  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.06.2013 um 11:44 schrieb Jan Pohanka <xhpohanka@gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to make a simple template for screenplays for our amateur theatre.
>
> I have following code and I'd like to have the single lines of the song centered in a page, but preceded by a person name on the left
>
> {Person 1:
> \setupalign[middle]{\vtop{%
> song asdf line 1\\
> song line 2\\
> song a line 3}}}
>
> This code obviously does not work as I need. Can please someone advice me proper ConTeXt way how to do it?

You can place the lyrics with the \startlines environment:

\starttext

Person 1:

\startlines[before=,align=middle]
song asdf line 1
song line 2
song a line 3
\stoplines

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: \vtop with middle alignment in a screenplay
@ 2013-06-11 10:00   ` Jan Pohanka
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2013-06-11 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dne 11.6.2013 11:53, Wolfgang Schuster napsal(a):
> Am 11.06.2013 um 11:44 schrieb Jan Pohanka <xhpohanka@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to make a simple template for screenplays for our amateur theatre.
>>
>> I have following code and I'd like to have the single lines of the song centered in a page, but preceded by a person name on the left
>>
>> {Person 1:
>> \setupalign[middle]{\vtop{%
>> song asdf line 1\\
>> song line 2\\
>> song a line 3}}}
>>
>> This code obviously does not work as I need. Can please someone advice me proper ConTeXt way how to do it?
> You can place the lyrics with the \startlines environment:
>
> \starttext
>
> Person 1:
>
> \startlines[before=,align=middle]
> song asdf line 1
> song line 2
> song a line 3
> \stoplines
>
> \stoptext

Hi Wolfgang,
thank you for fast answer. Your solution works well, but I would like to
have the first line of lyrics on the same line with Person:

thanks
Jn

* Re: \vtop with middle alignment in a screenplay
@ 2013-06-11 10:15     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-06-11 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.06.2013 um 12:00 schrieb Jan Pohanka <xhpohanka@gmail.com>:

> Hi Wolfgang,
> thank you for fast answer. Your solution works well, but I would like to have the first line of lyrics on the same line with Person:

You can place the name in the margin.

\setuplayout[backspace=4cm]

\definemargindata[Person][inmargin][style=normal]

\definelines[lyrics][align=middle]

%\showframe

\starttext

\Person{Person 1:}

\startlyrics
song asdf line 1
song line 2
song a line 3
\stoplyrics

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: \vtop with middle alignment in a screenplay
@ 2013-06-11 10:24       ` Jan Pohanka
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2013-06-11 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dne 11.6.2013 12:15, Wolfgang Schuster napsal(a):
> You can place the name in the margin.
>
> \setuplayout[backspace=4cm]
>
> \definemargindata[Person][inmargin][style=normal]
>
> \definelines[lyrics][align=middle]
>
> %\showframe
>
> \starttext
>
> \Person{Person 1:}
>
> \startlyrics
> song asdf line 1
> song line 2
> song a line 3
> \stoplyrics
>
> \stoptext

Thank you again. Placing the names in the margin is not a bad idea, but
it would need to rework the rest of my macros as they do not count with
it. Also increasing the backspace causes that the lyrics is not centered
ideally.
Can you please kindly advice me some another solution? I can imagine
some negative hskip, but it is probably just ugly hack.

best regards

@ 2013-06-11 10:30         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-06-11 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.06.2013 um 12:24 schrieb Jan Pohanka <xhpohanka@gmail.com>:

> Dne 11.6.2013 12:15, Wolfgang Schuster napsal(a):
>> You can place the name in the margin.
>>
>> \setuplayout[backspace=4cm]
>>
>> \definemargindata[Person][inmargin][style=normal]
>>
>> \definelines[lyrics][align=middle]
>>
>> %\showframe
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \Person{Person 1:}
>>
>> \startlyrics
>> song asdf line 1
>> song line 2
>> song a line 3
>> \stoplyrics
>>
>> \stoptext
>>

> Thank you again. Placing the names in the margin is not a bad idea, but it would need to rework the rest of my macros as they do not count with it. Also increasing the backspace causes that the lyrics is not centered ideally.
> Can you please kindly advice me some another solution? I can imagine some negative hskip, but it is probably just ugly hack.

You can use the “command” key for margindata to move the text in the text area.

\define[1]\PersonCommand
  {\rlap{\hskip\leftmargindistance\relax#1}}

\definemargindata[Person][inmargin][style=normal,command=\PersonCommand]