* font problems again
@ 2005-11-13 21:35 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2005-11-13 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

With the last release of context the problem of not getting cm fonts
is over. These are now found.

However, other font selections bring new difficulties.
I tried various combinations but did not succeed.
The simple program (using TeXShop):

\starttext
\setupbodyfont[tim,12pt]
hello world
\stoptext

Fails and aborts with:
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
ConTeXt  ver: 2005.11.11  fmt: 2005.11.13  int: english  mes: english
! Font \*times12ptrmtf*:=utmr8t at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
file not found.

Changing into \usetypescript[phv]\setupbodyfont[phv,12pt]
! Font \*postscript12ptrmtf*:=utmr8t at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric
(TFM) file not found.

No help from enabling in cont-sys.tex of:
\usetypescript[adobekb] [\defaultencoding]
(updmap.cfg contains URWkb for the LW35 fonts)
then it starts asking for (non-existing) maps like:
Warning: pdfetex (file ec-urw-helvetica.map): cannot open font map file

If I use
\setupbodyfont[lbr,12pt]
then I get just lm-roman, although I have the YandY lucida fonts
installed with their original YandY names (lb--.pfb)
Here no help from changing between texnansi and ec default encoding.

Any idea whats amiss? I ran this on a teTeX3 install with the context
files unzipped into texmf-local.
(I must confess I am tempted to give up on ConTeXt altogether,
because of these many font troubles.)

Hans van der Meer

* font problems again
@ 2000-06-10 18:58 Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-06-10 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, I must further go on your nerves...

Now I've \setupbodyfont[ber,pos,ppl,10pt] in my test document.
pdfetex claims "Font pplr8r" not found", that must be a Palatino-Roman.
In all font*.tex files of context P-R is mapped to "pplr8t".
I found a file "pplr8r.tfm" below of \fonts
and some lines with "pplr8r" in the following files:
/dvips/config/
 lw35extra-adobe-buildin.map
 lw35extra-adobe-kb.map
 lw35extra-urw-kb.map
 lw35extra-urw-urw.map
 pdftex.map
 ps2pk.map
 psfonts.map
/dvips/base
 psfonts.map

Does it make sense to change it in some of this map files?
(Sorry, I don't understand what these file really do --
I thought, ConTeXt wouldn't use dvips if output is pdf.)

BTW: phvr8r (Helvetica?) is also not found, and if I process
an large file (my book project), then there're just more...

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---