* footnotes with one *
@ 2005-08-22 12:18 Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-08-22 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I looked at two context manuals and can't find the setting to
get footnotes with * instead of a letter or a number.
I need 4 footnotes in 4 different pages, and I would like
them all of them with one sigle *

thank you
Ciro
-------------
* like this

--
=======================================
"All problems are at the interface. Each one of them has a solution."

* Re: footnotes with one *
@ 2005-08-22 12:57 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-08-22 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think like this:

   \defineconversion[starred][*]
   \setupfootnotes[conversion=starred]

Untested, but should work

Cheers, Taco

Ciro Soto wrote:
> I looked at two context manuals and can't find the setting to
> get footnotes with * instead of a letter or a number.
> I need 4 footnotes in 4 different pages, and I would like
> them all of them with one sigle *
>
> thank you
> Ciro
> -------------
> * like this

* Re: footnotes with one *
@ 2005-08-22 18:59   ` Brooks Moses
From: Brooks Moses @ 2005-08-22 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 05:57 AM 8/22/2005, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>         I think like this:
>
>   \defineconversion[starred][*]
>   \setupfootnotes[conversion=starred]
>
>Untested, but should work

It doesn't quite work.

If you give a single argument to \defineconversion, it expects the
conversion to be a command that takes an argument.  Since you haven't taken
an argument, the number gets typeset after the asterisk.  Also, the
asterisk needs to be in math mode to get positioned correctly, I
think.  Correcting for both of those gives this, which works:

     \def\gobble#1{}
     \defineconversion[starred][\mathematics{*}\gobble]
    \setupfootnotes[conversion=starred]

However, that's somewhat of a hack; better is to set up the footnotes to
reset the counter on each page, and then use one of ConTeXt's predefined
conversion sets that starts with an asterisk but follows it with other
symbols.  That way, if one changes the file so that there end up being two
footnotes on the same page, they won't both get asterisks (which would be
confusing).

That can be done quite simply, like so:

    \setupfootnotes[way=bypage,conversion=set 2]

Set 2 uses a \dag and then \ddag as the symbols after *, which is fairly
standard typographic practice.  If you prefer to do a sequence of *, **,
***, and **** instead, try something like this:

     \defineconversion
       [asterisks]
       [\mathematics{*},
        \mathematics{**},
        \mathematics{***},
        \mathematics{****},
        \mathematics{\dag},
        \mathematics{\ddag}]
    \setupfootnotes[way=bypage,conversion=asterisks]

- Brooks

* Re: footnotes with one *
@ 2005-08-22 23:44     ` Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-08-22 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for your replies. They helped. I need two more twiks...
Twik 1:
My font is too slanted and the asterisk (*) is printed too close to the
last word in the sentence.
Example:
Charles IV \footnote[]{asdfasdf}
will print an asterisk touching the V letter.
How do I instruct context to give me some room before printing the  asterisk?

Second twik:
How to control the distance between the page text and the line that separates
the footnote and the page text?
I tried the "distance=", the "height="  arguments in the
setupfootnotes, but they don't do
what I want.
thank you
Ciro